Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

-1 DSI for Firearms Purchase

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
310 replies to this topic

#41 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 539 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 25 2017 - 09:10 PM

So maybe it's a Nassau thing to pay in full. But dsi is in Suffolk right? I guess store policy

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#42 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 539 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 25 2017 - 09:11 PM

Maybe they have had too many people leave $50 on a gun held and they never came back for it? Like holding the gun for a customer and then they can't legally sell it to someone else because the produced a saws receipt with the serial #

#43 VolkoSupply

VolkoSupply

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 2,834 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 09:27 PM

Maybe they have had too many people leave $50 on a gun held and they never came back for it? Like holding the gun for a customer and then they can't legally sell it to someone else because the produced a saws receipt with the serial #

I don't really think anyone would take a deposit that low on a firearm.

As someone who owns a business, and someone who sometimes takes deposits, sometimes takes payment in full, sometimes takes nothing upfront on custom work...."it depends".

If I know you, you buy from me regularly, and you go "hey vick, I really like that thing.  Can I give you a deposit and complete the sale next week?"  chances are I'll go "sure man, good to go!"

If I have no clue who you are, and I have a one of a kind desirable something on the shelf, and you open with the same dialogue....the answer is "nope.  pay me".

DSI asking for full payment?  Not really that big of a deal in my mind.  Different if it is for something like a Glock 19 and they have 7 in stock....but if it's the only one of an item they have in stock I'd say probably ok.

DSI not allowing the OP to transfer funds earmarked for one pistol to another one?  Kind of silly.  The only thing I would say is if OP was buying the last/only "super duper johnny 7" in the store....a high end expensive thing....DSI goes and orders another 'super duper johnny 7" for inventory, and then OP changes mind.

Now DSI has their inventory messed up and money tied up in two "super duper johnny 7's".

DSI has a business decision to make then.  Three choices:

1.  "screw you OP, here is your super duper johnny 7."

2.  "hey OP, here is the deal....now my inventory is a bit screwed up and that's why I"m being awkward right now.  How do we make this work for the both of us?  I want you to be happy but I want you to understand my predicament"

3.  "no problem OP, we got you covered" (and then figure out what to do with the extra super duper johnny 7)

In my mind #2 or #3 are the right answer.

If OP was trying to reallocate funds from something common to something else....DSI really dropped the ball on that one.  Hard.

• NRATC53, loadingdockman, gcloss and 2 others like this

#44 VolkoSupply

VolkoSupply

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Forum Sponsor

• 2,834 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 09:28 PM

side note when was the last time we saw a thread go this long?

#45 Dazzo

Dazzo

Gun Guru

• 893 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 09:29 PM

Whatever their reason is, I am just glad I shed some light on the issue and now more people are aware.  I haven't been around these forums in a while, but I was quite shocked to hear other people having similar issues from DSI.  Figured DSI would be more focused on customer service and customer retention but like someone had mentioned to me, guess they think, they are the S#!T since they got so big so fast. Time will tell. 

Again, I like the store, but their policies suck!  I may continue to give them some business but I won't be buying firearms from them anymore or making any large purchases. 

• Texas screwdriver likes this

#46 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 539 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 25 2017 - 09:29 PM

I don't really think anyone would take a deposit that low on a firearm.

As someone who owns a business, and someone who sometimes takes deposits, sometimes takes payment in full, sometimes takes nothing upfront on custom work...."it depends".

If I know you, you buy from me regularly, and you go "hey vick, I really like that thing. Can I give you a deposit and complete the sale next week?" chances are I'll go "sure man, good to go!"

If I have no clue who you are, and I have a one of a kind desirable something on the shelf, and you open with the same dialogue....the answer is "nope. pay me".

DSI asking for full payment? Not really that big of a deal in my mind. Different if it is for something like a Glock 19 and they have 7 in stock....but if it's the only one of an item they have in stock I'd say probably ok.

DSI not allowing the OP to transfer funds earmarked for one pistol to another one? Kind of silly. The only thing I would say is if OP was buying the last/only "super duper johnny 7" in the store....a high end expensive thing....DSI goes and orders another 'super duper johnny 7" for inventory, and then OP changes mind.

Now DSI has their inventory messed up and money tied up in two "super duper johnny 7's".

DSI has a business decision to make then. Three choices:

1. "screw you OP, here is your super duper johnny 7."
2. "hey OP, here is the deal....now my inventory is a bit screwed up and that's why I"m being awkward right now. How do we make this work for the both of us? I want you to be happy but I want you to understand my predicament"
3. "no problem OP, we got you covered" (and then figure out what to do with the extra super duper johnny 7)

In my mind #2 or #3 are the right answer.

If OP was trying to reallocate funds from something common to something else....DSI really dropped the ball on that one. Hard.

I only said $50 as an example

#47 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 16,123 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted January 25 2017 - 09:45 PM

Importantly, there's a history of incidents outside of "policy" (L troop, shotgun ammo "deal", lost items, poor customer service outside of policies). Also some behind the scene drama, notice how they spend 23 hrs a day on FB posting on other LI FB pages, etc.

Look, some shops get love, others get hate,  any shop can and does have bad days, but usually reputations are earned through a pattern of incidents. I had no problems at the old location when they were starting, though sniffed a touch of ego when they knew they were moving but a string of stuff has gone down since then.

I wouldn't know because I don't do facebook at all. I wouldn't have an account on a bet.

I'm unlikely to ever buy a gun from them. I'd rather start with Campsite, SSS, Hunters Essentials, CGT, and on from there. And, of course, there's always Dick's for all my guns and ammo needs. :gaffaw2  I'll continue to use DSI, for parts mostly and sale items. For now, I'll keep giving them the opportunity to piss me off.

One thing they've helped me with is avoiding the conversation with the wife that starts with her saying "Another UPS box?!!"

• LMP likes this

#48 Dazzo

Dazzo

Gun Guru

• 893 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 09:53 PM

Pistol is a run of the mill ruger SR22, for which I had $150 dollar DSI gift card for. The deposit would have been a little less than half of what the gun costs if they were to take deposit.

Wanted to upgrade to the Ruger Mark IV, and add a rail and sight/scope?  So it would have been an upsale of over $125 for the gun and whatever the rail and sight/scope would have costs.  

Lets not forget to add in future business, but now that boat has sailed.

Hmmm, might want to look into changing that policy or maybe make an exception next time, unless DSI found value in enforcing it. 

• VolkoSupply and Tonto like this

#49 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member

• 16,123 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted January 25 2017 - 09:54 PM

side note when was the last time we saw a thread go this long?

Huh? It's only page 3 and it's only Wednesday. My money's on page 9 by Friday.

Oh wait, I forgot where I was. I thought I was on the American gun forum.

Edited by BLAMMO, January 25 2017 - 09:57 PM.

• NRATC53 and dank27 like this

#50 Strat688

Strat688

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,474 posts
  • LocationEast Setauket

Posted January 25 2017 - 09:54 PM

I bought a pistol from them when they were in the old store.  No problems then, but hearing this story, makes me think twice about future purchases

• Lou G likes this

#51 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 19,707 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted January 25 2017 - 10:08 PM

You enter at your own risk when you enter their store.
  • dank27 and Texas screwdriver like this

#52 Blade21

Blade21

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 11:17 PM

They don't have any policies that I can see out in the open. When I went to buy ammo I never knew you had to show your pistol license for pistol ammo. There should be a sign there. Though buying from other LGS I never had to show ID.
Very cold on how they asked me. Plus the guy examined how many pistols I had on my license. WTF? That was my last trip there

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  • Texas screwdriver likes this

#53 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 6,148 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 26 2017 - 12:03 AM

They don't have any policies that I can see out in the open. When I went to buy ammo I never knew you had to show your pistol license for pistol ammo. There should be a sign there. Though buying from other LGS I never had to show ID.
Very cold on how they asked me. Plus the guy examined how many pistols I had on my license. WTF? That was my last trip there
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

In NYS you are required to show a pistol license to buy "pistol ammo". But, since there are rifles that are chambered in almost every "pistol" caliber, it doesn't really apply to most ammo.
  • Blade21 likes this

#54 Nordon

Nordon

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6,181 posts
  • LocationEast Northport, not far from Brooklyn

Posted January 26 2017 - 05:45 AM

DSI, comment ? The mic is yours.
  • ProGodProGunProLife likes this

#55 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,460 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 26 2017 - 07:32 AM

Most gun shops have a store policy with deposits. Store credit is applied. No cash or credit card refund if the buyer decided to not buy.

#56 dank27

dank27

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 948 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 26 2017 - 07:43 AM

Prolly wont happen lol

#57 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,460 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 26 2017 - 07:54 AM

The DSI dealer upstate even confirmed how terrible service was to his customers.
This was back in the spring of 2016.
When DSI put out the email regarding the Troop L visit. The Upstate dealer was never notified by DSI. A customer who was on NY Firearms let him in on the news. The dealer called to confirm it with DSI.
  • dank27 likes this

#58 Trailblazer

Trailblazer

Sharp Shooter!

• 1,220 posts

Posted January 26 2017 - 08:01 AM

Natural selection applies to guns stores too.

#59 Steyr AUG man

Steyr AUG man

• Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted January 26 2017 - 09:57 AM

If you are a dissatisfied customer who feels you were treated poorly, yet you say you will likely give them business in the future, you get the treatment you deserve. Stockholm syndrome. You feel like you have to support someone who abused you in a transaction. If you are going back there and giving them business, just end this thread now. You are wasting your time whining. The rest of us should spend our money where it and we are appreciated. There are too many great places, like Mike at SSS and Campsite. Don't give business to those who don't treat you right.

#60 hawkeye

hawkeye

Gunecologist

• Club LIF Member

• 2,250 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted January 26 2017 - 10:16 AM

!@@ DSI. I'd rather give my money to T&T or AOD (not a compliment).
  • loadingdockman and rlitman like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users