Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

-1 DSI for Firearms Purchase

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
310 replies to this topic

#21 shamuscull

shamuscull

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 5,458 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted January 25 2017 - 07:14 PM

I can't see them having any "liability" for not releasing the lower after the 3 day waiting period expired.  I am sure the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act would protect them.  I don't agree with FFLs choosing not to complete transfers after the waiting period, as it allows the government to prevent lawful gun sales by simply delaying and the 3 day provision is essential to keeping the NICS system from becoming a backdoor gun ban through delays.  That said, I can understand a store deciding not to transfer to someone who hadn't gotten a clean NICS result, but they shouldn't be charging a fee for those who don't want to wait 30 days.

Maybe Troop L told them this.
  • NRATC53, Tonto, Tactical is practical and 4 others like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member

• 16,091 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted January 25 2017 - 07:15 PM

I mean they do have a history of interesting public posts...

Like, do you want them to post a letter to the State Police or something? (can popping sound, worms jumping out...)

If those policies really are their polices, then their policies are bull's hit.

• Dazzo likes this

#23 dank27

dank27

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 947 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 25 2017 - 07:15 PM

Well, they're a member and sponsor here so I'd be interested in hearing their side.

It will be more of Pete's bs.

Sad part is, I really like Ed but Pete is a moron and Cant get out of his own way.

#24 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,115 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted January 25 2017 - 07:17 PM

If those policies really are their polices, then their policies are bull's hit.

Importantly, there's a history of incidents outside of "policy" (L troop, shotgun ammo "deal", lost items, poor customer service outside of policies). Also some behind the scene drama, notice how they spend 23 hrs a day on FB posting on other LI FB pages, etc.

Look, some shops get love, others get hate,  any shop can and does have bad days, but usually reputations are earned through a pattern of incidents. I had no problems at the old location when they were starting, though sniffed a touch of ego when they knew they were moving but a string of stuff has gone down since then.

Edited by Destro, January 25 2017 - 07:20 PM.

• Ballistic likes this

#25 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 9,959 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted January 25 2017 - 07:22 PM

I was going to buy a handgun but they didn't have it in stock and to order it I need to pay the hole thing. Sorry but I'm not paying for something that not in stock and hard to get. I was willing to leave a healthy deposit but I'M not leave 800 on the table indefinitely. I never have and never will. That being said if they had a gun instock I wanted I'D still buy it from them. 

Every store has different policies some are even more F'd up then theirs. 

I would have bought my sone rifle but they dont do layaways thats the way i buy most of my guns pay them off in a month or two. I averaged 1 to 3 guns a year for the last 8 years that nothing to shake you head at. 

• Dazzo likes this

#26 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,115 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted January 25 2017 - 07:26 PM

DSI stole my '69 mustang and killed my puppy.

• VolkoSupply, Tonto, FEDBYVORTECH and 5 others like this

#27 dank27

dank27

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 947 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 25 2017 - 07:37 PM

I left my Wife on their doorstep but they returned her C.O.D
  • NRATC53, Tonto, Destro and 2 others like this

#28 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 7,251 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 25 2017 - 07:38 PM

Pete went into a 5min Monlouge about the Brady Act and blah blah.
That coupled with the 2 rifles i bought from them never functioning right and my friends having similar issues and it taking months to get rectified, is the main reason why I will never give them a cent

No Architect or his minions around to start bashing you for bad mouthing a forum sponsor.
  • Tonto and dank27 like this

#29 dank27

dank27

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 947 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 25 2017 - 07:45 PM

No Architect or his minions around to start bashing you for bad mouthing a forum sponsor.

Lol im a donated member and club member doesnt that make me a sponser? Lol
  • fish1024 likes this

#30 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

Respected Gunowner

• 222 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 07:45 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but of the 12 handguns I've purchased from various dealers, I've never once only paid a deposit. Where are you guys going that you're only paying a deposit before getting your purchase docs?

#31 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,251 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 25 2017 - 07:50 PM

Lol im a donated member and club member doesnt that make me a sponser? Lol

Thank you for supporting LIF!!!
  • dank27 likes this

#32 Swstock

Swstock

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,577 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 07:55 PM

F that place.

#33 dougfxdl

dougfxdl

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 883 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 07:59 PM

I heard they fly drones in Smithtown as well.

• NRATC53, Tonto and Denny like this

#34 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Sharp Shooter!

• 356 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 25 2017 - 07:59 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but of the 12 handguns I've purchased from various dealers, I've never once only paid a deposit. Where are you guys going that you're only paying a deposit before getting your purchase docs?

I've only bought 1 handgun and I had to pay in full.
Actually in Nassau you HAVE to pay in full. Says so right in the handbook:
12842711c052c21d94c6b5a04207bea2.jpg
  • VolkoSupply likes this

#35 aman360

aman360

Sharp Shooter!

• 329 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 08:10 PM

Maybe I am missing some thing here. So if I go to DSI and purchase a pistol for $500 pay for it in full but do not do a NICS check. Then go home and decide I want to buy a different pistol for $1000, DSI will tell me I can't move the first $500 towards the more expensive pistol?
  • fish1024 likes this

#36 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 5,997 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 08:27 PM

Question for those that have purchased a firearm at DSI. Were you aware of the "all sales are final policy" at the time you purchased the firearm? Is that policy clearly explained at the time the transaction is taking place?

If it is then there is no room for complaining about it after the fact. If it's not then DSI should have that policy clearly stated on the sales contract in BIG, BOLD TEXT and they make it standard practice that before the receipt is being written the policy is clearly explained.

#37 Dazzo

Dazzo

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 893 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 08:41 PM

Camaro45th - maybe I am getting confused, and unfortunately it happens quite often, but in general I remember having left deposits on 95% of the guns I bought.  If I remember correctly,  I use to head down to Suffolk PLB with just a deposit slip when it contained the serial number and was able to get a purchase doc.  Then I would go back and pay off the gun in full and then head back down to PLB and have them validate the serial numbers.  Maybe this scenario only applies to suffolk, or I got confused. 

Anyway, I was more blown away by the fact that they didn't take a deposit on guns in general. And the fact that they wouldn't allow me to upgrade.  Now if they ran a NICS, then I would totally understand.  

• fish1024 likes this

#38 Dazzo

Dazzo

Gun Guru

• 893 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 08:50 PM

Question for those that have purchased a firearm at DSI. Were you aware of the "all sales are final policy" at the time you purchased the firearm? Is that policy clearly explained at the time the transaction is taking place?

If it is then there is no room for complaining about it after the fact. If it's not then DSI should have that policy clearly stated on the sales contract in BIG, BOLD TEXT and they make it standard practice that before the receipt is being written the policy is clearly explained.

Funny you posted this, I don't remember seeing anything.  But when I called up to speak with a manager to confirm, I was told that it clearly states that on my receipt.  

But what I am failing to understand is the term "sales are final", if i haven't taken possession of the firearm or ran a NICS check  does that constitute a sale? 

Then I asked, what happens if I fail the NICS check, why does the policy not apply? This is the point where the manager was tongue tied and started tripping over his words, in his effort to give me a half @ss answer. 

• fish1024 likes this

#39 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,251 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 25 2017 - 09:08 PM

I've only bought 1 handgun and I had to pay in full.
Actually in Nassau you HAVE to pay in full. Says so right in the handbook:12842711c052c21d94c6b5a04207bea2.jpg

I had to pay in full at a few shops in Nassau and do the NICS check at the time of purchase. I have given deposits at other shops outside of Nassau County.

#40 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 5,997 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 09:10 PM

Funny you posted this, I don't remember seeing anything.  But when I called up to speak with a manager to confirm, I was told that it clearly states that on my receipt.  

But what I am failing to understand is the term "sales are final", if i haven't taken possession of the firearm or ran a NICS check  does that constitute a sale? 

Then I asked, what happens if I fail the NICS check, why does the policy not apply? This is the point where the manager was tongue tied and started tripping over his words, in his effort to give me a half @ss answer. 

NYS is totally screwed up. In NYS ownership and possession are two separate issues. Ultimately the firearm belongs to you once you pay for it and the bill of sale is completed BUT you can't take possession of it until the NICS check is completed AND you have a purchase order from SCPD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users