Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

-1 DSI for Firearms Purchase

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
310 replies to this topic

#1 Dazzo

Dazzo

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 893 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 04:47 PM

Let me start off by saying, love the store, and the staff was pretty friendly, but my recent pistol purchase experience was my first and will be my last. I have made several purchases in the past and even shot at the range, but this was my 1st time buying a firearm from them.

Over the holiday I recieved 2 DSI gift cards from family, so over the weekend I decided to buy a firearm. They had 2 guns in stock that I was interested in, and after thinking it over quickly I decided on one.

1st issue that I found pretty unsettling was the fact that I couldn't leave a deposit on the gun and the gun needed to be paid in full. Every gun I purchased in the past, I would always leave a deposit and then get a receipt to run down to yaphank with and upon return pay for the gun in full. I told the salesman my displeasure, but he said it was store policy.

What is everyone's thought on that? With the exception of a big box store, I never heard of this before from any other dealer on the island.

2nd issue - two days later, I needed to head back to DSI because I lost the receipt and was heading to yaphank for the purchase doc. While there, I changed my mind and wanted the other gun that I was thinking about buying. I asked to see if I can change my order. I was disappointed to find out that all sales are final and that I could not change my order. Keep in mind that they still had possession of the gun I originally bought and didn't even run a NICS check yet. I was really blown away, especially since both guns were in stock and that i didn't even claim possession ran a NICS check. Again I was told that this was policy, and that all sales are final. Last time I checked a sale was a transaction between 2 parties where the buyers RECIEVES good for exchange of money.

Just wondering what you guys feel about those policies? Also checking to see what other LGS have this policy.

I am not here to bash DSI, and most likely I will continue to buy things from them, just not new firearms.

Lesson Learned!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 shamuscull

shamuscull

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 5,460 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted January 25 2017 - 04:51 PM

If your story is true I would never spend another dime there

• TJ Ironhorse, ontargetguy, Swstock and 1 other like this

#3 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,172 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted January 25 2017 - 05:02 PM

True story: plenty of people have had bad experiences there. They are a sponsor here, but it seems as many people hate them now as many loved them when they first started.

Any store can have a bad day, but do your own research online, the LI gun community is all over and it's easy to share experiences/reviews in the internet age.

OP, thanks for sharing.

Edited by Destro, January 25 2017 - 05:05 PM.

• fish1024 and Blade21 like this

#4 dank27

dank27

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 948 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 25 2017 - 05:07 PM

I had a similar issue with a lower purchase from them.

I was put on delay (no problem). I paid for the items in full. I waited 4 days and called. I was then told that I had to wait 30days bc they do not want any liability.

When I said I no longer wanted the items, I was told that they would charge a 25$ fee on the lower (which only cost $60) and refused to take my unopened LPk i purchased.

They Suck!!! New staff is nice but doesnt know shit. Pete is an arrogant jerk that should probably go back to managing a footlocker.

Dan

#5 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,460 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 25 2017 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience. They can and will play games.

#6 aman360

aman360

Sharp Shooter!

• 329 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 05:11 PM

I am a range member at DSI and I frequently go there. The staff is always friendly and helpful, and I was considering purchasing a new SIG MK-25 or S &W 1911 luckily I just read this and didn't drop any money on one yet. I would be pissed if I dropped a grand on one of these then decided I wanted the other one before I picked it up and was told NO. The range is great, friendly staff but looks like Hunter Sports will get my deposit, just in case I change my mind.

#7 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 6,148 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 25 2017 - 05:16 PM

Let me start off by saying, love the store, and the staff was pretty friendly, but my recent pistol purchase experience was my first and will be my last. I have made several purchases in the past and even shot at the range, but this was my 1st time buying a firearm from them.

Over the holiday I recieved 2 DSI gift cards from family, so over the weekend I decided to buy a firearm. They had 2 guns in stock that I was interested in, and after thinking it over quickly I decided on one.

1st issue that I found pretty unsettling was the fact that I couldn't leave a deposit on the gun and the gun needed to be paid in full. Every gun I purchased in the past, I would always leave a deposit and then get a receipt to run down to yaphank with and upon return pay for the gun in full. I told the salesman my displeasure, but he said it was store policy.

What is everyone's thought on that? With the exception of a big box store, I never heard of this before from any other dealer on the island.

2nd issue - two days later, I needed to head back to DSI because I lost the receipt and was heading to yaphank for the purchase doc. While there, I changed my mind and wanted the other gun that I was thinking about buying. I asked to see if I can change my order. I was disappointed to find out that all sales are final and that I could not change my order. Keep in mind that they still had possession of the gun I originally bought and didn't even run a NICS check yet. I was really blown away, especially since both guns were in stock and that i didn't even claim possession ran a NICS check. Again I was told that this was policy, and that all sales are final. Last time I checked a sale was a transaction between 2 parties where the buyers RECIEVES good for exchange of money.

Just wondering what you guys feel about those policies? Also checking to see what other LGS have this policy.

I am not here to bash DSI, and most likely I will continue to buy things from them, just not new firearms.

Lesson Learned!

i don't have a pistol license, so I don't know if taking deposits is customary, but I either way I don't think it is a huge deal, as you would need to pay the balance when you got back from Yaphank anyway.

The all sales are final policy, when the sale hadn't been completed and the other gun was still in stock sounds pretty crappy to me.  I see no good reason for it, and it is the sort of thing that will cost you customers.  Why piss off a customer by enforcing a policy, in a case where it brings the store no benefit, when you can delight them by making the change?

• CITYREPO61 likes this

#8 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 6,148 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 25 2017 - 05:25 PM

I had a similar issue with a lower purchase from them.

I was put on delay (no problem). I paid for the items in full. I waited 4 days and called. I was then told that I had to wait 30days bc they do not want any liability.

When I said I no longer wanted the items, I was told that they would charge a 25$ fee on the lower (which only cost $60) and refused to take my unopened LPk i purchased.

They Suck!!! New staff is nice but doesnt know shit. Pete is an arrogant jerk that should probably go back to managing a footlocker.

Dan

I can't see them having any "liability" for not releasing the lower after the 3 day waiting period expired.  I am sure the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act would protect them.  I don't agree with FFLs choosing not to complete transfers after the waiting period, as it allows the government to prevent lawful gun sales by simply delaying and the 3 day provision is essential to keeping the NICS system from becoming a backdoor gun ban through delays.  That said, I can understand a store deciding not to transfer to someone who hadn't gotten a clean NICS result, but they shouldn't be charging a fee for those who don't want to wait 30 days.

#9 dank27

dank27

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 948 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 25 2017 - 05:38 PM

I can't see them having any "liability" for not releasing the lower after the 3 day waiting period expired.  I am sure the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act would protect them.  I don't agree with FFLs choosing not to complete transfers after the waiting period, as it allows the government to prevent lawful gun sales by simply delaying and the 3 day provision is essential to keeping the NICS system from becoming a backdoor gun ban through delays.  That said, I can understand a store deciding not to transfer to someone who hadn't gotten a clean NICS result, but they shouldn't be charging a fee for those who don't want to wait 30 days.

Pete went into a 5min Monlouge about the Brady Act and blah blah.

That coupled with the 2 rifles i bought from them never functioning right and my friends having similar issues and it taking months to get rectified, is the main reason why I will never give them a cent
  • Blade21 likes this

#10 dank27

dank27

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 948 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 25 2017 - 05:39 PM

Coupled with the fact that, since the new shop has opened they seem to be too big for the locals who overpaid for mediocre rifles to help get them started.

So !@@ them lol

#11 NativeNYer

NativeNYer

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 57 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 05:52 PM

The all sales are final policy, when the sale hadn't been completed and the other gun was still in stock sounds pretty crappy to me.  I see no good reason for it, and it is the sort of thing that will cost you customers.  Why piss off a customer by enforcing a policy, in a case where it brings the store no benefit, when you can delight them by making the change?

Based on this, DSI just doesn't understand what excellent customer service is all about.

• Dazzo, CITYREPO61, Blade21 and 1 other like this

#12 hoodfu

hoodfu

Gun Guru

• 660 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 06:25 PM

I'm all for supporting them but not being able to change your mind when no 4473 was performed and no disposition from their bound book has been processed is seriously messed up. I really wanted them to succeed but this is just silly. They're in their rights to not give you the gun for 30 days but that's a store policy, it's not the law. I'd make it your policy to never buy anything from them again.

• ProGodProGunProLife likes this

#13 E

E

Gun Guru

• 3,289 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 06:40 PM

Coupled with the fact that, since the new shop has opened

^this

Never had a problem with them until the new opening. The first time a friend purchased a rifle from them, I was very impressed with the quality. It's a shame what happend n
  • dank27 likes this

#14 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,172 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 06:43 PM

But I  hear they are great letter writers and have a mean FB game. :popcorn

I keed. I try to be neutral like Switzerland since I deal with everyone, but a $h%& stirring Switzerland.

Edited by Destro, January 25 2017 - 06:44 PM.

• NRATC53, Dazzo, NYG60 and 5 others like this

#15 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 6,148 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 25 2017 - 06:46 PM

Pete went into a 5min Monlouge about the Brady Act and blah blah.
That coupled with the 2 rifles i bought from them never functioning right and my friends having similar issues and it taking months to get rectified, is the main reason why I will never give them a cent

Did they disclose the $25 fee before they made the sale. If not, I'd file a complaint with the BBB.

Screwing a customer over $25 is mind boggling to me. This is especially true for a LGS given that 1) Gun buyers and especially the type who buy lowers tend to be repeat customers 2) You can get just about anything any LGS sells online for at least 10% less, plus no sales tax.

#16 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,172 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 06:54 PM

Did they disclose the $25 fee before they made the sale. If not, I'd file a complaint with the BBB.

Screwing a customer over $25 is mind boggling to me. This is especially true for a LGS given that 1) Gun buyers and especially the type who buy lowers tend to be repeat customers 2) You can get just about anything any LGS sells online for at least 10% less, plus no sales tax.

10%!! Try buying some super duper tactical shotgun ammo from them.

Hey, lots of businesses that deal with those new to the hobby mark up items to a sucker price. Just that word gets around, especially with the interwebz thing and a passionate hardcore LI gun community.

• Tonto and dank27 like this

#17 carguy110

carguy110

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 2,725 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted January 25 2017 - 07:05 PM

When DSI first opened, I thought I would throw them a little support by setting up an FFL transfer. I "purchased" the FFL transfer option on their website for $25 or so and they e-mailed the seller a copy of their FFL.

Anyway, the seller flaked out on the sale, so I know longer needed to have anything transferred. I inquired to DSI about a refund on the $25 or a store credit; they never responded to numerous e-mails.

#18 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member

• 16,123 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted January 25 2017 - 07:05 PM

Well, they're a member and sponsor here so I'd be interested in hearing their side.

#19 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,172 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 07:09 PM

Well, they're a member and sponsor here so I'd be interested in hearing their side.

I mean they do have a history of interesting public posts...

Like, do you want them to post a letter to the State Police or something? (can popping sound, worms jumping out...)

• Tonto, fish1024, dougfxdl and 1 other like this

#20 dank27

dank27

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 948 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 25 2017 - 07:13 PM

I ended up just waiting the 30days for the lower and never spent another dime with them. Also sold off every DSI part i owned for the exception of one of their drop in triggers (which I got for free anyway lol)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users