Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Question about purchasing ammo out of state

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 293 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 23 2017 - 03:15 PM

So a person I work with tried to buy ammo in CT I think fairly recently. He was told that he needed to provide some type of ammo purchasing license in order to buy. Anybody ever heard of this? I know last summer I bought a few 100 round packs of .22 at Walmart in Another state and nothing was mentioned.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,939 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted January 23 2017 - 03:18 PM

Connecticut requires residency to purchase ammo.   I think New Jersey does as well, at least for pistol ammo.   We live in the Northeast, all Blue states.   This is what we get.

#3 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,029 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 23 2017 - 03:20 PM

You must show them a CT pistol or revolver license to purchase ammunition in that state. Massachusetts and New Jersey are similar. Other Free States like Pennsylvania will sell.

#4 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 6,002 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 23 2017 - 03:39 PM

In CT you need either a long gun eligibility certificate, a pistol permit or an ammunition certificate.  The ammunition certificate costs $35 and requires filling out a form and a NICS check.

Can I still buy ammunition over the counter as I did in the past? What about reloading components?
No. Generally, if you are not considered eligible to purchase a firearm in Connecticut you will not be able to purchase ammunition. Effective October 1, 2013, all purchasers of ammunition must now have either a new “ammunition certificate”, a long gun eligibility certificate, a pistol permit or an eligibility certificate. Ammunition is defined as a complete cartridge including case, projectile, primer and propellant, therefore reloading components may be still be purchased without being subject to the newly enacted restrictions. 

How do I obtain the new ammunition certificate?
Any person 18 or older may request DESPP to perform a national criminal history records check to determine if such person is eligible to possess a firearm in Connecticut. You must appear in person to have your photograph taken and submit your initial application. DESPP will issue the certificate for a fee of $35 and after a successful records check. The ammunition certificate will be valid for five years (Download Ammunition Certificate Application).

#5 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Respected Gunowner

• 293 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 23 2017 - 04:32 PM

Thanks guys!

#6 jorel

jorel

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 135 posts

Posted January 23 2017 - 05:16 PM

Bottom line, CT is less free than NYS on several gun related matters

• Steyr AUG man likes this

#7 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Respected Gunowner

• 293 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 23 2017 - 06:44 PM

Jesus I thought we were the toughest.

#8 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,029 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 23 2017 - 06:51 PM

CT is shall issue... You can apply for a non resident pistol license and carry concealed and purchase ammunition.

#9 jorel

jorel

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 135 posts

Posted January 23 2017 - 07:21 PM

CT is shall issue... You can apply for a non resident pistol license and carry concealed and purchase ammunition.

Non-residents must have a carry permit issued by a United States jurisdiction to apply.

Do you have a NYS carry permit?

If not, too bad.

#10 sigmann45

sigmann45

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • 489 posts

Posted January 23 2017 - 08:26 PM

Cheaper to buy on line and have shipped to ffl dealer. By the time you apply for ammo certificate with costs and tolls and gas what are you saving ? :popcorn

#11 set2374

set2374

Sharp Shooter!

• 379 posts
  • LocationEast Rockaway

Posted January 24 2017 - 02:20 PM

Hmmm??  So, putting aside 2A issues, how do all of these laws that block internet sells and make it impossible to purchase ammo not violate the interstate commerce clause--which the libtards used to shove their crazy reforms down our throats for decades???  I really hate them all!!  

#12 Steyr AUG man

Steyr AUG man

Gun Guru

• 681 posts

Posted January 24 2017 - 03:07 PM

Just go to Cabelas. You will probably spend all day in the store. Its like going to Sportsman heaven. Bring a friend. if you mention you are going, likely a couple will want to take the ride.

#13 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,939 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted January 24 2017 - 03:19 PM

Cabelas in PA.   CT store adheres to libtard law.

#14 jorel

jorel

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 135 posts

Posted January 24 2017 - 03:39 PM

The one thing that makes me go to CT is their Mystic Aquarium. They also have a drive-in in the N/E corner of the state. Think there's a Bass Pro Shop in Stanford off I95 but won't go there for the same reason as above.

#15 Steyr AUG man

Steyr AUG man

Gun Guru

• 681 posts

Posted January 24 2017 - 08:29 PM

the kids will love the wildlife display at Cabellas. 

#16 cherokee

cherokee

Sharp Shooter!

• 372 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted January 24 2017 - 09:06 PM

Cabellas is right next to Cigar International. Grab a few stogies while your at it

#17 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,029 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 24 2017 - 09:15 PM

The one thing that makes me go to CT is their Mystic Aquarium. They also have a drive-in in the N/E corner of the state. Think there's a Bass Pro Shop in Stanford off I95 but won't go there for the same reason as above.

If you have a NYS carry license, you can apply for a CT non resident pistol/revolver license through the mail.
Very easy to get.

#18 Nick S.

Nick S.

Sharp Shooter!

• 494 posts

Posted January 25 2017 - 11:01 AM

Get into reloading. You can still buy all the components to reload yin Conn. & NJ (I think). It gives you something to do when it's cold & rainy.

#19 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,722 posts

Posted February 14 2017 - 10:00 AM

Non-residents must have a carry permit issued by a United States jurisdiction to apply.

Do you have a NYS carry permit?

If not, too bad.

A state or your own state?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users