Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Stolen quad

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,715 posts

Posted January 12 2017 - 04:01 PM

I thought the NYSP would be thorough in investigating an accident. I know cops will and can sh*t can a call to avoid the paperwork. Every department has them.
I've seen it here upstate with the local Police and Sheriff's department.

Well, judging by what the female driver of the other vehicle was offering him in Spanish, he was in a hurry to get me out of there. He drove her to work....and that's not all

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 Yaphank Kid

Yaphank Kid

Older Budweiser

• Donated Member
  • 2,149 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted January 12 2017 - 05:35 PM

Well, judging by what the female driver of the other vehicle was offering him in Spanish, he was in a hurry to get me out of there. He drove her to work....and that's not all

Man I miss the job.
  • killian and boosti like this

#23 rubbermittens

rubbermittens

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 3,932 posts

Posted January 12 2017 - 06:18 PM

People report stolen property all the time. If it was your property, the law will clearly protect you as the victim. He may have a chance of recovering his property since his ATV was reported stolen.
People seem to be paranoid. You contact an attorney when you are arrested.

Sort of correct, But As a police officer, One thing I learned, Is, a civilian, even in some circumstances as an Officer, You are best not speaking to the police regarding certain items and incidents. Reporting a stolen item or as a victim? I would say you are totally fine speaking with them

#24 Crazyeyes

Crazyeyes

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 226 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 12 2017 - 08:45 PM

Thanks guys! Was just curious if this was a normal procedure. Im ex Nypd. And we did things a bit differently!
The state troopers are working hard on this case because it turns out my buddy was not the only person who had there quad stolen that week.

#25 Steve936

Steve936

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 297 posts

Posted January 13 2017 - 09:19 AM

Signing a deposition is what will give the investigating officer or Trooper authority to arrest someone for possession of the ATV.
It is an accusatory instrument.

You or your buddy in this case, is affirming, under the penalty of law that he was the rightful owner, that he gave no one permission to take the ATV and that he wants the party responsible, if found, to be arrested. It allows the officer to investigate, seize the ATV as evidence and lawfully arrest the person that is found with it. That's all it is.

If your buddy is not interested in an arrest being made, he can do a report, no deposition, and state he is making the report for insurance purposes only. If he was simply just interested in making an insurance claim if he had insurance on it.

Some jurisdictions might make him still sign a "negative deposition" if he's not requesting an arrest. This is simply a deposition stating he is not requesting an arrest. This covers the officer/department in case he flips on them and tries to say they didn't do anything about the theft and it allows them to come after him if they find he is involved with insurance fraud or something like that. They would charge him with filing a false report on top of the insurance fraud.

Man you guys are paranoid...

Edited by Steve936, January 13 2017 - 09:27 AM.

• Yaphank Kid and boosti like this

#26 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 13 2017 - 09:55 AM

Thanks guys! Was just curious if this was a normal procedure. Im ex Nypd. And we did things a bit differently!
The state troopers are working hard on this case because it turns out my buddy was not the only person who had there quad stolen that week.

Every agency has a Larceny affidavit, it's part of Rules and Procedures. The officer taking the report will file an offense report which will include the Larceny affidavit. The officer in this case will take photos of the crime scene. It's a formal complaint, if an arrest is made the officer will have the paperwork in a case jacket to provide all copies to the DA and Defense attorney. It's normal business with a police department following R&P's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users