Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Colts New Cobra for 2017

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 9,674 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted January 06 2017 - 04:30 PM

I do love my Colt Detective Special so I cant wait till this starts to hit the shops.

new-colt-cobra-2107.png

https://www.gunsamer...ction-revolver/

• boosti likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 06 2017 - 05:20 PM

I do love my Colt Detective Special so I cant wait till this starts to hit the shops.
new-colt-cobra-2107.png
https://www.gunsamer...ction-revolver/

Will this mean the extremely popular Colt Python or Diamondback are coming soon?
  • TJ Ironhorse likes this

#3 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 9,674 posts

Posted January 06 2017 - 06:23 PM

Will this mean the extremely popular Colt Python or Diamondback are coming soon?

We can only hope but they may have missed the mark by waiting so long under Obama they would have made a mint.

#4 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,010 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 06 2017 - 10:18 PM

We can only hope but they may have missed the mark by waiting so long under Obama they would have made a mint.

The Colt Python was made from the 1950's to 1999. It was always in demand, the Union was the reason it was discontinued because of labor costs.
The company made the Colt King Cobra which was selling for about $500 in the early 90's. That and the Colt troopers were affordable revolvers. The 1990's seen the popularity of the semi automatic pistols which hurt revolver sales.

#5 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 16,073 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted January 07 2017 - 09:30 AM

I fired a Colt Python once. It felt like perfection in my hand.

• mitch1 likes this

#6 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,010 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 07 2017 - 01:56 PM

I fired a Colt Python once. It felt like perfection in my hand.

Definitely an excellent revolver, crazy how much a regular shooter is getting. My friend paid $2600 for a used 4" with an aftermarket grip. The owner dropped $400 off the price.

#7 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 16,073 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted January 07 2017 - 06:42 PM

Definitely an excellent revolver, crazy how much a regular shooter is getting. My friend paid $2600 for a used 4" with an aftermarket grip. The owner dropped $400 off the price.

If they ever bring them back, it might just save the company. But there could be problems too. If they made them exactly the same, they'd probably cost over $2,000. Everybody says they want one but how many people are really willing to pay that for a revolver. Everybody says they're willing to pay extra for more safety and security when flying but then we book the cheapest flight we can get.

Colt might be able to get the manufacturing down quite a bit with modern CNC machines. And boy, would that piss of a lot of people who paid more than 2K for a used one. And of course, they'd say "BAH, the new ones aren't the same!!" Even if they were the same they'd say that. Even if they were better, they'd say that. Lot's of snobs and hurt collectors in the gun world.

#8 dougfxdl

dougfxdl

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 881 posts

Posted January 07 2017 - 06:44 PM

The Python won't come back. Too much hand fitting of parts, plus the ultra high polish they got. They no longer have the skilled labor available to produce them again. The more 'prodution' level guns like the Cobra and Troopers, sure. They can be assembled from a bin of parts like a 1911 is.

#9 only7rounds

only7rounds

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 286 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 07 2017 - 07:41 PM

The Python won't come back. Too much hand fitting of parts, plus the ultra high polish they got. They no longer have the skilled labor available to produce them again. The more 'prodution' level guns like the Cobra and Troopers, sure. They can be assembled from a bin of parts like a 1911 is.

If they do the Python in stainless only it can be done. The polish and process on the blued gun would indeed be too expensive, but everyone makes stainless guns now, so it would not be a problem. And even if they were to give it a high polish finish, no big deal on stainless, they sell shined up stainless frying pans for not too much money these days.

#10 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 9,674 posts

Posted January 07 2017 - 07:56 PM

There was a mentoin of them making a CCW maybe the DS.

I really dont know what the difference is between the DS and the Cobra i thin the cobra is a little bigger. But the CCW world has and still is blowing up. Colt released the polymer mustang but that seemed to have flopped.

#11 dougfxdl

dougfxdl

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 881 posts

Posted January 07 2017 - 08:00 PM

If they do the Python in stainless only it can be done. The polish and process on the blued gun would indeed be too expensive, but everyone makes stainless guns now, so it would not be a problem. And even if they were to give it a high polish finish, no big deal on stainless, they sell shined up stainless frying pans for not too much money these days.

The polish is only one part of it. The extensive hand fitting is the bigger problem

#12 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator

• 9,674 posts

Posted January 07 2017 - 08:17 PM

o6796.jpg

Compact Colt - Ideal for Personal Protection

The Colt .380 Mustang Pocketlite and new Mustang Lite are small, lightweight and boast enhanced durability, reliability and accuracy, making either an ideal handgun for personal protection. The precise machining process, use of high quality materials and improvements in design make Colt’s new .380 Mustang Pocketlite and Mustang Lite two of the most consistent and reliable firearms on the market. The stainless steel slide and barrel are CNC machined from solid bar stock for precise tolerances. With loaded magazines, each of these handguns weighs less than one pound. They both measure 5.5 inches long and have a 2.75-inch barrel. The minimal weight and length of these guns, combined with the short single action trigger, grip designs, frame designs and firing pin safety block make these firearms ideal for personal protection.

Features
  • High Profile Sights
  • Commander Style Hammer
  • Solid Aluminum Trigger
  • Lowered Ejection Port
  • Stainless Steel Slide
  • 2 ¾" Barrel Length
  • .380 Auto, 6 Round Magazine Capacity

#13 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 9,674 posts

Posted January 07 2017 - 08:24 PM

Colt's Legendary Double-Action Revolvers Return

The Colt Cobra® marks Colt's triumphant return to the world of double-action revolvers. Its small frame and 2" barrel make it ideal for concealed carry. The Cobra® features all-steel construction, as well as a rubber wrapped grip that's been moved rearward to help manage recoil. The Cobra® is chambered in .38 Special and is +P capable. This firearm was designed to meet the needs of new shooters and seasoned professionals alike. It's easy and enjoyable to shoot, easy to carry, and draws from the fine lineage that make Colt revolvers special.

Features
  • Fiber Optic Front Sight
  • LL2™ Trigger System
  • Colt Branded Rubber Grip
  • .38 Special (+P Capable), Six Round Capacity
  • 2" Barrel Length

Cobra_450w.png

#14 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,010 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 07 2017 - 09:01 PM

I don't know how accurate the story was at the time. Colt has many parts left over from the Python production that was being used to build the Elite Python. Pythons on the market may not be 100%, people could be buying a parts Python and paying top dollar.

#15 jimmy958

jimmy958

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 1,463 posts

Posted January 10 2017 - 01:26 AM

Here is some more info:

Attached File  Cobra specs.jpg   65.81KB   3 downloads

And a short video:

#16 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 9,674 posts

Posted January 10 2017 - 11:43 PM

I really can't wait to fondle one.

#17 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,010 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 11 2017 - 03:07 PM

MSRP $699... Colt should make this in the bright stainless steel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users