Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Will we be allowed to order ammo online again without using s FFL?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 5,732 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 05 2017 - 12:26 PM

I am quite positive.   :)  I just ordered a case of Wolf Gold in .223 for 0.31 a round, with free shipping to my door).   :)   I LOVE TargetSportsusa.com!!!   

That is great to hear.  

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 set2374

set2374

Respected Gunowner

• 224 posts
  • LocationEast Rockaway

Posted January 05 2017 - 12:34 PM

Here are the relevant sections of the SAFE Act There's nothing about "internet sales". And until the ammo data base is implemented, none of these sections have any practical effect, other than a "chilling effect". Everyone except for Target Sports is just running scared.

The highlighted parts in red effectively suspend all the other provisions.

There are a couple of others that will ship to NY doorsteps, but their prices are a lot higher than Target.   I have sent emails in the past to other major online ammo retailers and none are willing to take any chances with NY.,   So, you're correct---they are all a bunch of p@ssies.   I would probably be a p@ssy too though, if I were in their shoes.   What I do find highly offensive though is how much some FFL's charge for ammo "transfers"--not that there is really such a thing.   Some charge as much as .10 cents a round.   That's just highway robbery!!  They do this to support the absurd prices they are charging for ammo.  

Seriously, we really get screwed on Long Island.   For example, I was over at DSI yesterday and they were charging $10 for a box of wolf gold in .223, plus tax ($10.86).  That's over $0.50 a round for wolf gold?????  Seriously????   They have their nerve!!!   TargetSports is charging $0.31 a round with free shipping for a case.  DSI is not even remotely close.  A little markup for the local guys is ok, but $0.20 a round is unacceptable!!!! Of course, all DSI's prices were pretty much absurd!!   It's a nice shop, but I don't know how they get away with those prices!!!

#23 joey52685

joey52685

Sharp Shooter!

• 615 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 05 2017 - 01:48 PM

I just got my order.  FedEx left it right on my doorstep, no issues.   Targetsports has much lower prices than the LGS around here

• whitefoot and ProGodProGunProLife like this

#24 whitefoot

whitefoot

Powderfinger

• Donated Member
  • 2,465 posts
  • LocationGONE TO EARTH

Posted January 05 2017 - 03:07 PM

I just called Target Sports 1/5/17 3:00PM  and spoke to a customer rep and she said as long as you are not located in the 5 boroughs of NYC they can and will ship to your door with no legal ramifications on both ends. This from their  state lawyers. 

• baxtersmith and ProGodProGunProLife like this

#25 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 5,732 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 05 2017 - 03:19 PM

Unless the company has a physical presence (or financial accounts) in a state I do not see how that state can have direct jurisdiction over them. It seems to me the state (or states) where the company is located would have have to cooperate with NY state in going after them or NY would somehow have to get a Federal Court to enforce the actions.

I am not even sure that, without other states or the Federal government passing new laws the shipper's state or the Feds could help NYS enforce the ammo part of unSAFE against out of state shippers.  

Federal law effectively incorporates all state and local gun purchase laws and and prohibits residents of NY from buying guns that are illegal in NYS, anywhere in the US.  But, I don't believe there is any such provision for ammunition, magazines or other accessories.  

In the case of standard capacity magazines, the NYS buyer who ordered them online, from out of state,  would be committing a felony in NYS by taking possession of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.  But, in the case of ammo, the seller is not shipping from NYS, so I believe the seller is committing no crime, and whilethe unSAFE Act makes it illegal for sellers to do commercial transfers of ammo that are not face to face, I see nothing that prohibits the buyer from receiving ammo in a non face to face transaction.  And, of course, unlike standard capacity magazines, the ammo is totally legal in NYS.  

#26 LarryD23

LarryD23

Marksman

• 91 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted January 05 2017 - 04:59 PM

I believe the poster on LIGC had his order canceled with Target Sports realized it was to a non-ffl in NYS.  Let us know if you get your order.  It would be great if they are still shipping.

I received an email earlier today that my order has been processed and is ready for (FREE) shipping.

#27 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 15,944 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted January 05 2017 - 07:20 PM

Unless the company has a physical presence (or financial accounts) in a state I do not see how that state can have direct jurisdiction over them. It seems to me the state (or states) where the company is located would have have to cooperate with NY state in going after them or NY would somehow have to get a Federal Court to enforce the actions.

Most internet companies do their best to comply with the patchwork laws of all the states to which they ship, whether it's taxes or regulatory compliance or otherwise. Technically, they may have no legal obligation to comply but they just don't want to get into a pissing contest with the State AG. It's just not good business.

In this case, there's nothing to comply with but most don't even know that. Or, they don't care. The biggest retailers like Cabelas and Midway won't ship ammo to NYS at all, not even to FFLs. So, !@@ them.

• Mr. Shotgun likes this

#28 fenucho

fenucho

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 974 posts
  • LocationAdirondaks

Posted January 07 2017 - 09:19 AM

There are a couple of others that will ship to NY doorsteps, but their prices are a lot higher than Target.   I have sent emails in the past to other major online ammo retailers and none are willing to take any chances with NY.,   So, you're correct---they are all a bunch of p@ssies.   I would probably be a p@ssy too though, if I were in their shoes.   What I do find highly offensive though is how much some FFL's charge for ammo "transfers"--not that there is really such a thing.   Some charge as much as .10 cents a round.   That's just highway robbery!!  They do this to support the absurd prices they are charging for ammo.  

Seriously, we really get screwed on Long Island.   For example, I was over at DSI yesterday and they were charging $10 for a box of wolf gold in .223, plus tax ($10.86).  That's over $0.50 a round for wolf gold?????  Seriously????   They have their nerve!!!   TargetSports is charging $0.31 a round with free shipping for a case.  DSI is not even remotely close.  A little markup for the local guys is ok, but $0.20 a round is unacceptable!!!! Of course, all DSI's prices were pretty much absurd!!   It's a nice shop, but I don't know how they get away with those prices!!!

How is that any different from all the other LGS on the Island (I just checked 3 online) selling non-premium 223 for $10/box.

It's normal for small purchases to cost more.

You buy soda at Costco for .99 cents a 2 Liter, at a deli $2.50. Do stop buying it, no. You thank them for being open.

You do realize it's a business.

I'm sure if the LGS kept 50-60K of each caliber ammo stocked like Targetsports, they'd sell it cheaper.

Ammo, like bait, is sold as a convenience in LGS for customers who are buying items that will actually pay the rent as opposed to Retailers whose main business is selling ammo.

I bet bulk ammo retailers sell more ammo in a day than LGS sell in a year.

My advice, buy bulk and store up. Save the small purchases for times you're stuck.

And yes, targetsports delivers to you door. (in 3 days actually)

• ProGodProGunProLife likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users