Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo
- - - - -

"Gun show loophole"

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 6,011 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted March 17 2017 - 04:28 PM

I bought a Marlin 60 22 Rifle about 3-4 months ago for some kind of simple home protection. Been taking it to the Nassau Range about once a week and have a blast shooting targets.  Went through 150 rounds last week.  Never shot a handgun and was thinking it would be fun.  But hearing about all of the hassle and time to get a licence is turning me off. 

You are one of the few who started off the smart way, with a .22.  Most of us idiots, like me, start off with a 12 GA shotgun, and develop a flinch reflex from the recoil of shooting those slugs. :)

If you wan't to learn marksmanship, and some American history, you should go to an Appleseed.  It is great training and a lot of fun.  They are planning to have one at LIPSA sometime this summer, but it hasn't been scheduled yet.  

http://appleseedinfo.org/

• Camaro45th likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 19,221 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted March 17 2017 - 04:28 PM

I bought a Marlin 60 22 Rifle about 3-4 months ago for some kind of simple home protection. Been taking it to the Nassau Range about once a week and have a blast shooting targets.  Went through 150 rounds last week.  Never shot a handgun and was thinking it would be fun.  But hearing about all of the hassle and time to get a licence is turning me off.

How does this relate to the topic of this thread?

#23 Duke

Duke

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 341 posts

Posted March 17 2017 - 06:28 PM

Getting a pistol license is easy, the only hassle is time. Put the application in and in a year or so you'll have it.

• boosti likes this

#24 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,056 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 17 2017 - 06:35 PM

Getting a pistol license is easy, the only hassle is time. Put the application in and in a year or so you'll have it.

We seem to have a few avid gun owners that won't bother applying for a pistol license. It's much easier here in Nassau and Suffolk than applying in an Upstate county where it's a judge who decides.

#25 LarryD23

LarryD23

Respected Gunowner

• 288 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 18 2017 - 07:55 AM

Generally speaking, getting a pistol license is a simple process. The difficulty is the time it takes to complete that simple process.

My advice is to apply for the license even if you are unsure that you want to own a pistol. A year from now when you get your license you'll be glad you didn't wait to apply.

#26 Ancap

Ancap

Respected Gunowner

• 114 posts

Posted March 18 2017 - 08:31 AM

You are one of the few who started off the smart way, with a .22. Most of us idiots, like me, start off with a 12 GA shotgun, and develop a flinch reflex from the recoil of shooting those slugs. :)

If you wan't to learn marksmanship, and some American history, you should go to an Appleseed. It is great training and a lot of fun. They are planning to have one at LIPSA sometime this summer, but it hasn't been scheduled yet.

http://appleseedinfo.org/

^^^^this....the 22 gets undeserved hate

#27 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,939 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted March 18 2017 - 10:09 AM

OP, if you think shooting the Marlin 60 ( I have one too ) is fun than you will truly find shooting pistols to be even more fun.   I learned on .22 target rifles on high school and college teams, than on the M16 in ROTC and in the Army.  But when I started as a captain firing the beloved and respected 1911 and then the Beretta 9 (which I still hate) that was when I really wanted to endure the drudgery of running a military range but getting to qual at the end of the day.   I waited a couple of years too long after I retired from Uncle to get my license after just shooting long guns.  In Nassau the process isn't exactly inexpensive, but to me still worth it.  Shooting at Mitchel Field for three and half bucks helps soothe my cheapness.   It took me 6 months from start to finish to get the license, and I think the wait is double that now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users