Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Lawmaker Betting on Trump to Push New Concealed Carry Law

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 firemanvin

firemanvin

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • 430 posts

Posted December 10 2016 - 10:35 PM

I don't think this works because you cannot own and poses a pistol without your NY license. If you carry outside of class they can suspended your New York License and there goes your firearms. The only way it will work for us is if they make allotments for ownership/purchase across state lines.

This is where it gets tricky with licence and registration required states. As an example I can carry concealed in Florida with my non resident CCW but I can't buy a gun in Florida unless I am a resident. The only thing I can do is carry my New York registered gun in Florida, which in and of itself is a problem with regard to the fact that the SCPLB does not want you to take the gun out of state based upon the fact that the gun must be stored at the registered address. Sounds like an administrative matter but if it came to their attention I would imagine they could get you on an administrative violation and possibly suspend or revoke your licence.

Edited by firemanvin, December 10 2016 - 10:37 PM.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 JAMerolle

JAMerolle

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 185 posts

Posted December 10 2016 - 10:52 PM

This is where it gets tricky with licence and registration required states. As an example I can carry concealed in Florida with my non resident CCW but I can't buy a gun in Florida unless I am a resident. The only thing I can do is carry my New York registered gun in Florida, which in and of itself is a problem with regard to the fact that the SCPLB does not want you to take the gun out of state based upon the fact that the gun must be stored at the registered address. Sounds like an administrative matter but if it came to their attention I would imagine they could get you on an administrative violation and possibly suspend or revoke your licence.

I don't think so, your cleared to go from point A to point B provide you are legal in both A and B.   The pistol must be locked in the trunk when going through states that do not accept your license, for example Jersey.

Edited by JAMerolle, December 10 2016 - 10:53 PM.

#23 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 6,775 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 11 2016 - 11:23 AM

I hope this doesn't require a yearly qualifications course of live fire to carry like LEOSA HR218.
President Elect Trump will sign National Reciprocity. I hope he signs it in his first term along with an appointment of at least two conservative judges to the Supreme Court.
  • Mr. Shotgun, NRATC53 and Lou G like this

#24 firemanvin

firemanvin

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • 430 posts

Posted December 12 2016 - 10:14 AM

I don't think so, your cleared to go from point A to point B provide you are legal in both A and B.   The pistol must be locked in the trunk when going through states that do not accept your license, for example Jersey.

You are referring to the current law (FOPA).  And technically, even under FOPA, while it is Ok to pass through 2A unfriendly states with your gun locked away, ther are still a couple of issues.  First, you can't stop while passing through a 2A unfriendly state.  As a practical matter, going down to Florida would mean no food or bio breaks until Delaware, and then no stops in Maryland until you are safely in Virginia.  Also, the SCPDPLB handbook makes it sound like they have an issue with your gun not being kept in your registered home.  So if you take your gun to Florida and for whatever reason they find out, I suppose they can come down on you administratively if they want to be humps about it.

But, my original point is if there were national reciprocity, if SCPDPLB were to continue imposing an administrative restriction (or at least a perceived administrative restriction) on requiring that your gun normally be kept at your registered address, then even though you are perfectly legal, they could bust your hump because you took the gun out of New York.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users