Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

LI Deer Safe for Consumption?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 minuteman1970

minuteman1970

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 433 posts

Posted November 29 2016 - 05:50 PM

A friend of my parents gave them some venison steaks, already butchered. The friend's nephew harvested the deer this season out in Suffolk County somewhere, no details given. My parents read an article regarding deer contraception that took place (this year?), and they are worried we might get sick eating the meet if this deer was one of the ones given the birth control shot or whatever.

Do they still have this deer birth control program?

Any thoughts?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Short Track Hunter

Short Track Hunter

Gun Guru

• 1,086 posts

Posted November 29 2016 - 06:26 PM

I think... I think that is limited to fire island.
  • Destro likes this

#3 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,151 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted November 29 2016 - 06:52 PM

Suffolk venison is mighty fine and safe.

It's he FI National Seashore did the contraception program. They're actually starting to hunt them.

http://www.newsday.c...l-ok-1.11754118

Those beach deer are like a whole 'nother species, overpopulated, mangy, thin. I've walked right up to a buck on FI and could have broken it's neck with my hands (they're used to getting fed). Completely different than mainland deer.

#4 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 10,097 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted November 29 2016 - 07:44 PM

Yes eat it serves with a nice red wine Deme glaze and boiled fingerling potatoes and Broccolina tossed   sauteed garlic and breadcrumbs. I like a semi sweet red wine with my venison.

• Destro, DonTreadOnMe and Tom Mac like this

#5 DonTreadOnMe

DonTreadOnMe

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 185 posts

Posted November 29 2016 - 07:53 PM

I eat it twice about twice a week for 52 weeks a year and I'm still kicking. Learn how to cook different cuts. Rule of thumb steaks should be cooked hot and fast, Pink rare center. Generally slow cook any meat from the front quarters, neck, etc. Backstraps and loins are choice cuts and imo as good as beef if not better.
  • Destro likes this

#6 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,975 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted November 30 2016 - 09:49 AM

No !    You will glow in the dark and grow a sixth toe on your left foot.   Since I may not have that many years left comparatively speaking, would find glowing in the dark helpful when fishing and do not hunt at night, and since I wear water sandals for half the year, I would gladly take any venison off your hands that you are afraid to eat.   My better half has some digestive issues and just now I trimmed off some silver skin from some tenderloins and steaks, tenderized it a bit, and will marinade in an olive oil, soy sauce and Montreal Steak Sauce mix.  A few minutes on the barbie tonight, merely browning each side.....but by all means, I have just a wee bit of room left in my freezer, lol.

#7 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,353 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 30 2016 - 10:29 AM

I would call a local for years removing doa deer hit by a vehicle. He's fed his family on venison road kill. Plenty of good venison recipes if you google it!

#8 Yaphank Kid

Yaphank Kid

Older Budweiser

• Donated Member
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted November 30 2016 - 03:42 PM

With all the processed food that humans eat, the deer actually eat healthier than we do. No problem eating LI venison.
  • Destro likes this

#9 LI Ammo

LI Ammo

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Established Member, Club LIF Member

• 878 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted November 30 2016 - 07:08 PM

Try to eat only from the deer near the LI wineries. Nothing like a steady diet of Cabernet grapes to sweeten the meat!

• BLAMMO likes this

#10 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 16,108 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted November 30 2016 - 11:08 PM

Suffolk venison is mighty fine and safe.

It's he FI National Seashore did the contraception program. They're actually starting to hunt them.

http://www.newsday.c...l-ok-1.11754118

Those beach deer are like a whole 'nother species, overpopulated, mangy, thin. I've walked right up to a buck on FI and could have broken it's neck with my hands (they're used to getting fed). Completely different than mainland deer.

I go down to the lighthouse sometimes in the winter. Now, you'll get fined if you feed them but I used to bring a few dog biscuits and they would come up to the boardwalk and take them from my hand. Yeah, they looked like they had mange but they seemed healthy otherwise. They have plenty to eat down there.

The place used to be lousy with deer. You really had to stay below the 30 mph limit because they would jump out and dare you to hit them. They've had feeding stations with contraceptives for years. Apparently, it's worked because I don't see nearly as many any more. At least not in the western part of the island. The golf course used to be covered with deer scat.

#11 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,151 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted December 01 2016 - 01:08 AM

I go down to the lighthouse sometimes in the winter. Now, you'll get fined if you feed them but I used to bring a few dog biscuits and they would come up to the boardwalk and take them from my hand. Yeah, they looked like they had mange but they seemed healthy otherwise. They have plenty to eat down there.

The place used to be lousy with deer. You really had to stay below the 30 mph limit because they would jump out and dare you to hit them. They've had feeding stations with contraceptives for years. Apparently, it's worked because I don't see nearly as many any more. At least not in the western part of the island. The golf course used to be covered with deer scat.

Fam has a house on the West end. I'm there every summer. The crackhead deer as I call them are all over cutting through fences like slow zombies. Way overpopulated raiding garbage and gardens. They move like they're drugged and don't scare at all.

I could hunt whitetails with my bare hands there if I wanted. Would have hugged this guy but he has like 1000x more ticks than the ones in my backyard on the mainland (and they're like half the size and will run if you get with 30 ft). They're so different in behavior and size I don't even consider them "long island deer", just crackhead "beach deer" while the citidiots renting summer houses for 30K a month are fascinated by them. :P

DES_DEER.jpg

Edited by Destro, December 01 2016 - 01:13 AM.

• BLAMMO and boosti like this

#12 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,353 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 01 2016 - 07:18 AM

Fam has a house on the West end. I'm there every summer. The crackhead deer as I call them are all over cutting through fences like slow zombies. Way overpopulated raiding garbage and gardens. They move like they're drugged and don't scare at all.

I could hunt whitetails with my bare hands there if I wanted. Would have hugged this guy but he has like 1000x more ticks than the ones in my backyard on the mainland (and they're like half the size and will run if you get with 30 ft). They're so different in behavior and size I don't even consider them "long island deer", just crackhead "beach deer" while the citidiots renting summer houses for 30K a month are fascinated by them. :P

attachicon.gifDES_DEER.jpg

My major concern is Lyme disease with whitetail deer. It is a terrible disease that these deer carry.

#13 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,975 posts

Posted December 01 2016 - 09:52 AM

Lyme disease isn't the only problem.   They (the ticks on the deer) have been identified as carrying a disease that makes one very allergic to red meat.   All red meat.

#14 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,729 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted December 01 2016 - 04:06 PM

Hain't kilt me yet!

#15 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,353 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 02 2016 - 07:07 AM

Lyme disease isn't the only problem.   They (the ticks on the deer) have been identified as carrying a disease that makes one very allergic to red meat.   All red meat.

Well Done

#16 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,975 posts

Posted December 02 2016 - 08:24 AM

Well done ruins venison, lol !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users