Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Long island deer lure/attractants

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ptbobdemaria

Ptbobdemaria

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationOceanside

Posted November 12 2016 - 09:22 AM

So I posted a topic that asked if people could confirm my suspicion that long island public area (pressured) deer don't respond to calling and possibly spook them. The concensus confirmed my experience that they do not respond well. I also think that scents like estrous urine or other urine, apple scents spook them too because of all the hunters using these products. Thoughts comments

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3,939 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted November 12 2016 - 09:23 AM

Get out in November and you need none of that stuff nor do you need a treestand.   The deer have only one thing on their minds.

• Destro and boosti like this

#3 Ptbobdemaria

Ptbobdemaria

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationOceanside

Posted November 12 2016 - 09:34 AM

The reason I ask is I have seen deer, mainly does get spooked the last 2 times this month when they caught wind of my scents or estrous drag line.....

#4 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,095 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted November 12 2016 - 12:33 PM

You're over-complicating it.

Have you checked out my LI trailcam thread I posted in your other question, which has a lot of tips for LI deer hunting and patterning for deer around here. Those big bucks keep coming back to the acorns 10x a day, morning, lunch, night.

Keep it simple. Locate well traveled trails and natural food plots like acorn drops. Move upwind or during whipping winds. Your breath is far worse a scent pick up than your clothes. but you can use some vanilla or anise as a cover. Since there is not baiting other than grown food plots follow the natural eating spots. I've had bachelor groups of 3 ten pointers hanging by my oaks, and herds of 9 just munching away at the acorns pre-rut. (during the rut bucks don't eat).

I don't know where you're hunting that you seem to spook everything so much, but move silently, be aware of the winds and how you move with them, stay to a worn spot or food area and be patient.

They love hanging for hours by the acorn drops, especially right before the rut.

This big boy was hanging around my land during season. Same trails, areas. Pattern them.

Edited by Destro, November 12 2016 - 12:35 PM.

#5 Short Track Hunter

Short Track Hunter

Gun Guru

• 1,083 posts

Posted November 12 2016 - 12:36 PM

I use a fawn bleat. The mother doe looks up once, then ignores me.

#6 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 9,682 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted November 12 2016 - 06:37 PM

Cover scent do work but if you cover yourself in apple scent where there's no apples the deer will know the jig is up.

I use earth scent I also when I leave my stand scrap up the ground around to release uncover the dirt I don't know why but deer will go and sniff around the areas a scrape up I had a buck come in go right to the bare earth when I reach for my rifle I spooked him 

#7 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,939 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted November 12 2016 - 10:57 PM

As Destro said, you may be over complicating this.  

If you can see any part of a deer's eye, they already have you in view.   Their peripheral vision is twice ours.   That said, their visual acuity is less and they can supposedly only distinguish the colors blue and yellow.  All others appear grey to them.   My first deer approached me while I was wearing blue jeans and an orange vest and hat.   I think I had nodded off and looked up and there he was.  Its movement that they pick up on, much like we will see a squirrel or bird move while waiting for Bambi.  If you are hunting an area where the occasional human tramps by during the year, scents may not be that much of an issue.  My last two deer came on windy days, not breezy, windy.   It probably serves to mask scent and any noises I make shifting in my chair, eating granola bars, etc.   Others will tell you that deer lie down on windy days.   During the rut ?  Hogwash.    The only problem I have on windy days is trying to sit still when it was too windy to put up my portable outhouse style ground blind and I am literally sitting on a stool practically in the open.   I also try not to silhouette myself.  Find the likely approaches and remember they don't want to walk through thick brush and brambles any more than you do, and when shot but still able to run, will usually take the path of least resistance until they drop.

• Destro likes this

#8 finfeathr

finfeathr

Respected Gunowner

• 171 posts

Posted November 13 2016 - 12:00 AM

Get yourself a plastic tub with a lid from walmart large enough to contain your hunting pants, jacket, and especially boots. Take some earth and leaves from your hunting area and put about 2 inches or so in the bottom. Store your hunting duds in there during the season, and you will have all the cover scent you need. Also stay away from scented deoderant...I never had much luck with "attractant" scents. Don't overthink it. Stick to what's there, and you won't spook too many deer...

#9 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,095 posts

Posted November 13 2016 - 03:02 PM

As Destro said, you may be over complicating this.  

If you can see any part of a deer's eye, they already have you in view.   Their peripheral vision is twice ours.   That said, their visual acuity is less and they can supposedly only distinguish the colors blue and yellow.  All others appear grey to them.   My first deer approached me while I was wearing blue jeans and an orange vest and hat.   I think I had nodded off and looked up and there he was.  Its movement that they pick up on, much like we will see a squirrel or bird move while waiting for Bambi.  If you are hunting an area where the occasional human tramps by during the year, scents may not be that much of an issue.  My last two deer came on windy days, not breezy, windy.   It probably serves to mask scent and any noises I make shifting in my chair, eating granola bars, etc.   Others will tell you that deer lie down on windy days.   During the rut ?  Hogwash.    The only problem I have on windy days is trying to sit still when it was too windy to put up my portable outhouse style ground blind and I am literally sitting on a stool practically in the open.   I also try not to silhouette myself.  Find the likely approaches and remember they don't want to walk through thick brush and brambles any more than you do, and when shot but still able to run, will usually take the path of least resistance until they drop.

+100 on windy.

I've often come across a buck  face to face who looked up surprised ---like I wasn't supposed to be there--on a very windy day. Whipping winds that change direction seem to totally confuse their scent...it's like their radar is down. This has happened to me a lot (now remember I live on land with deer so I interact 365 days a year.) One time on a windy day I was splitting wood and this 12 pointer came out of the woods and froze staring at me like "how did this guy get here?". I was wearing deodarant, coffee breath, grunting, making noise, and he ended up a few feet away from me out of the woodline. We had a stare off, where he was thinking of his next move, then he bolted and ran towards a clearing next to us.

Now I'm talking about very windy fall days like we've had the other night, with decent noise and leaves blowing and gusts in all directions.

Edited by Destro, November 13 2016 - 03:05 PM.

• boosti likes this

#10 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 7,027 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 13 2016 - 04:59 PM

On Friday I had a deer come running to my stand with all the wind and noise of tree limbs breaking in the woods. I used Doe estrus and this buck was more interested in finding a hot doe. On a windy day deer tend to be more cautious.During the rut deer will be much easier to hunt. Once rifle season starts deer will be less active during the daytime.

#11 Ptbobdemaria

Ptbobdemaria

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationOceanside

Posted November 13 2016 - 07:09 PM

That sounds like upstate. This thread started because many of us feel long island deer (especially high pressure public land deer) behave differently than upstate. But I can attest to what you said for the southern zone

#12 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,095 posts

Posted November 13 2016 - 07:48 PM

That sounds like upstate. This thread started because many of us feel long island deer (especially high pressure public land deer) behave differently than upstate. But I can attest to what you said for the southern zone

All of my posts are specifically for LI, including the LI Backyard Trailcam thread which has many points very specific to LI which you are correct is very different from upstate (climate, doe-buck ration, we have a second rut, etc.) (also correct that bootsi was talking upstate with rifle seasaon, which has many other factors like yotes, less hunters per density, different climate/altitude).

Now even on LI it varies...the deciduous woods of the Nissy are very different from the Pine Barrens so you have different ecosystems to consider on LI (different food plots, cover etc.)

The 2 best bowhunting tips for Long Island I can give from years of observing Whitetails on my property on Long Island (millions of trailcam shots and HD video, and personal observation).....

1) Hunt the food plots. Acorn drops in the pre-rut are proven. You have buck coming back and back all day. If I could shoot rifle on LI, I'd bag a few 10-13 pointers every season from my deck because they just keep coming back to the oaks.

2) Use the winds and paths for scent cover. Always hunt downwind, be aware of it, your breath is the biggest scent offender, and those windy days I described in this thread are gold for getting a few feet next to a buck undetected.

Overall scent is less of a big deal on LI in hunting spots where there's tons of activity, and where even in wilder areas deer are used to some human interaction.

This was the view from outside my bedroom window this year. Easy broadhead shot. No problem with scent, he'd observe you from a distance and move on, and was heading towards the natural trails and food plots. He keeps coming back, same areas, same trails. They repeat their behavior which is why patterning the area is important.

bucky.jpg

Edited by Destro, November 13 2016 - 07:59 PM.

#13 Short Track Hunter

Short Track Hunter

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 1,083 posts

Posted November 13 2016 - 08:00 PM

When I 1st started hunting, I had on a blue winter jacket, orange vest, black ski pants. A deer picked me up from 40 yards away, but I accidentally hit my face with the rifle butt, and the deer heard it, and looked up.

#14 Ptbobdemaria

Ptbobdemaria

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationOceanside

Posted November 13 2016 - 08:25 PM

Destroy, really appreciate your input/experience on both threads. The area I hunt is primarily oak and there are acorns everywhere this year. And I only have 1 camera as I'm worried about people taking it from public grounds. I can't pattern them very well. I can say that I hike in almost 3/4 mile and I feel like the high pressure hunting is within a quarter mile of parking so I see more activity back there. I posted these threads because it is rut and I guess I'm just concerned I don't want to deter them from me right now, thats why I questioned the calling and scent lure of long Island deer with my lack of experience. I took a 8 point early and will only take a big buck now (until rut is over, then we'll simply appreciate more meat). I'm a big duck hunter and would like to spend the rest of my season on the water. Thanks k you everyone for all your guidance
  • Destro likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users