Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

2016 Deer Season

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 9,926 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted December 10 2016 - 10:51 AM

I did meet up to day with a few old timers that still hunt they all said the same thing it may be there last season to hunt deer in n.y.s.

I drove down on Sunday morning from Hancock total deer hunters driving home a ton of guys number of encounter with deer harvested  O

I hate to say it but we could use a one or two year no hunt zone across NYS. They did this in NC about 10 years ago then started a antler restriction where my cousin lives and they have really nice Bucks and you can take a lesser buck  but only one that are F'd up like a 3x1 or huge 4 pointer. It works but not in this state

# Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Topic Starter

Posted A minute ago

#42 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 7,211 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 10 2016 - 11:03 AM

I hate to say it but we could use a one or two year no hunt zone across NYS. They did this in NC about 10 years ago then started a antler restriction where my cousin lives and they have really nice Bucks and you can take a lesser buck but only one that are F'd up like a 3x1 or huge 4 pointer. It works but not in this state

The mild winter last year made for a good season for our area. We took one 8 point buck that was 200 pounds after field dressing and two doe from the 62 acre property. We did see a good number of hunters this season and opening day was constant shots going off throughout the day. It is cold out today, my doe tags are filled. Opening day Monday for muzzleloader should be good with all the snow around.

#43 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 9,926 posts

Posted December 10 2016 - 12:44 PM

The mild winter last year made for a good season for our area. We took one 8 point buck that was 200 pounds after field dressing and two doe from the 62 acre property. We did see a good number of hunters this season and opening day was constant shots going off throughout the day. It is cold out today, my doe tags are filled. Opening day Monday for muzzleloader should be good with all the snow around.

From what my cousin said the bucks got bigger and hunters where aloud to take doe. So the Doe population got hit hard for a year or two so the bigger buck would fight harder to bread what does where around cause better genetics and now they have bigger deer 

#44 lonewolf5347

lonewolf5347

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 1,444 posts

Posted December 10 2016 - 02:23 PM

one more shot on Monday threw Friday  black powder season heading up in the morning 

Yep I know of the 8 and 6 pointer still running around seen him on a trail camera now it will be hard to get him ,funny the deer in today's world seem to travel any way they want too: Not much of a pattern like the good old days

#45 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,211 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 10 2016 - 03:58 PM

Sunday morning should have deer moving before the snow starts.

#46 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator

• 9,926 posts

Posted December 10 2016 - 10:56 PM

Good luck ever with your smoke poles.

#47 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,211 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 11 2016 - 10:56 AM

This morning was cold, I didn't hear any shots. I guess many hunters cancelled today because of the snow expected today.

#48 Short Track Hunter

Short Track Hunter

Gun Guru

• 1,085 posts

Posted December 11 2016 - 01:54 PM

I hunted every weekend, & nothing to show for it.      I think I'm done with NY hunting, or I will turn into one of those opening day hunters.

I saw some fresh rubs yesterday, so the deer are still rutting.

• lonewolf5347 likes this

#49 lonewolf5347

lonewolf5347

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 1,444 posts

Posted December 11 2016 - 03:39 PM

well it is snowing and we got about 7" on the ground just check the camera a few does  but no racks .I did see a huge 12 pointer hanging down on RT 268 talk with the guy he stated he got it yesterday morning .deer must be 3 to 4 years old has to weigh in around the 180 mark BIG BUCK

They never did see him on any trail cameras they have set up this guy (Deer) must of got his score card mixed up by  thinking the season was over :suicide

#50 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,211 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 11 2016 - 04:13 PM

I hunted every weekend, & nothing to show for it.      I think I'm done with NY hunting, or I will turn into one of those opening day hunters.

I saw some fresh rubs yesterday, so the deer are still rutting.

The rut is over here, plenty of doe around. Hunting rub lines are probably a good idea during the late season which starts tomorrow.

#51 leftjammer

leftjammer

Gun Guru

• 2,324 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted December 11 2016 - 07:43 PM

Just got back from BSM in delaware Co,

4 of us hunted hard . Two of the guys were young and inexperienced.

The only thing we saw was does on Fri, and Sat. When one of us moved  the deer got up ran. They are bedded down in cover.

Posting will only work if someone is pushing them, deer were sitting tight.

Excitement for the weekend was when one of the newbies was walking with his rifle on his shoulder sling and a deer ran past him at 20 yrds and leaped over a deadfall in front of him,  It was out of sight by the time he realized what happen.

Also had some yotes working the area with us but we only heard them and never saw one.

#52 lichris

lichris

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,904 posts
  • LocationStuck in a liberal hell hole.

Posted December 11 2016 - 08:31 PM

Literally nothing in 3P over the past two weekends. I have one more trip for muzzle loader planned, then it's back to bow hunting the island.

#53 CTM

CTM

Sharp Shooter!

• 337 posts
  • LocationColchester,NY & Suffolk, NY

Posted December 11 2016 - 11:25 PM

Literally the worst season in my 34 years. Plenty of trail cam pics of bucks including a few nice ones, including this

slammer, but not a one taken in my valley, and all are larger then avg land owners.

2cducsj.jpg

I wound up taking this small 8 near my house on the 9th. Local butcher said it was the worst year they have ever had, and the crazy thing is they said that last year never thinking it could be worse.

I had some road hunters rolling past my property on Thanksgiving. Nothing like a truck coming down a back county road real slow with the windows down. I was coming out to head to dinner with friends and was just off in the wood line and I heard the one guy say "oh that guy is here" when he saw my truck. Had two other road hunters today. I saw them from my elevated blind. I guess last day desperation is enough for these clown to risk their license, rifle, and vehicle. A lot more shots off in the distance late today, not sure if the deer were moving more today or if guys were taking does on the last day.

5157dg.jpg

• CAP1974 and boosti like this

#54 CTM

CTM

Sharp Shooter!

• 337 posts

Posted December 11 2016 - 11:45 PM

I went from having 16 does and fawns in my plots on opening day to having only a few right at dusk and, sometimes none.

We had yotes move into the valley a week ago Sat. They let loose with some howls, barks and yips right before the sunset and

the reaction of the deer was something. They all snapped their heads up and then took off up the mountain and never stopped.

The kicker was the yotes were up in the bowl about a mile away. I then had yotes doing their thing right at dusk three more nights in a row and boy did they carry on. One night it went on for so long I would have swore it was a guy with a caller.

Found fresh bear tracks and a bear bed the other day right after some fresh snow. It is not often that you see one out this late in the season. Perhaps it was this little guy. Got a great vid of this one this day as he was trying his best to get the scent dispenser down.

6hlts6.jpg

• lonewolf5347, Captk, CAP1974 and 2 others like this

#55 CTM

CTM

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 337 posts

Posted December 12 2016 - 12:04 AM

Another week or so and I will switch my sights to these.
mbk9qp.jpg

Another one from earlier in the year enjoying the scent dispenser. The bottom of the dispenser is at 6'3"

a9pjxh.jpg
  • boosti likes this

#56 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,211 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 12 2016 - 07:37 AM

Literally nothing in 3P over the past two weekends. I have one more trip for muzzle loader planned, then it's back to bow hunting the island.

If you're hunting private property definitely scout and find a good area that will attract deer. Food plots along with clearing an area around for deer to feel comfortable walking through helps.

#57 lonewolf5347

lonewolf5347

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,444 posts

Posted December 12 2016 - 01:33 PM

now we have a foot of new snow drop last night

I was out in the box stand this morning seen the same thing NOTHING

BUT BUT a small doe or button buck must of past the stand small deer tack on top of fresh snow 

there went the veal cutlets out the window 

nothing tender then a yearling and the only shot is a neck shot

#58 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 9,926 posts

Posted December 13 2016 - 09:58 PM

Went on my friend property out east had two bucks come in but no shot  then a tiny doe. Oh well

I need a Blackpowder gun.

#59 lonewolf5347

lonewolf5347

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,444 posts

Posted December 14 2016 - 01:07 PM

well missed a doe yesterday morning about 75 yards she was very smart stayed in thick cover clean miss

we did get a doe yesterday evening 

going to give it another shot later to day and call it quits for this year 

Snowed again last night maybe 5 " a little ruff walking in the woods The quads have no problems

#60 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 9,926 posts

Posted December 14 2016 - 10:18 PM

good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users