Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

2016 Deer Season

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 7,341 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 22 2016 - 07:27 PM

Today was very quiet where I hunted. At the other property, My cousin had five doe a 4 point buck by his stand. Monday was blizzard conditions with today being just windy with 30 mph gusts. The weather is looking better for Wednesday. Hopefully a decent size doe is around to fill my tag.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 10,090 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted November 23 2016 - 12:53 AM

Well we bail a day early we got another 6 inchs last night there was not signs or trails any where by us. this was one of the hardest years I've hunted blizzard conditions 40mph gust Yuge snow drift. I might just grab my stick and string and go out down here this week. 

• Mad Russian likes this

#23 lonewolf5347

lonewolf5347

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,446 posts

Posted November 23 2016 - 10:40 AM

Finally see the sun and the winds dye down a little,hunted low yesterday same story nothing moving.

I had some time on hands so was thinking of the good old days when deer hunting was and never will be what is use to be.

I am not new to deer hunting let see 51  years did it all and have taken a few really nice bucks both states Pa. @ N.Y. ( original stated 47 years i had to recount the 4 years lost Luck I have extra toes  :suicide

DEC every were road blocks opening day (Monday) and ran threw Thanksgiving weekend.

The opening day for some strange reason did take it toll on the bucks but Thanksgiving week end man you seen a ton of deer heading downstate.

Today world lucky you see a doe heading down from upstate

The deer are here but few in numbers.

The deer heard are gone thank's to DEC 

Kill the does in large numbers and in a few more years deer sighting will be like seeing a ghost in the woods.

Pa. Hunter complain about the every day doe tag in there 10 day season (late 90's)and seeing a deer was ruff ON state lands the deer were gone.

The heard now are slowly making a comeback being they change there doe season to the second week.

I remember hunting Pa. and doe season was the 3 days after the big game season closed

Edited by lonewolf5347, November 23 2016 - 11:37 AM.

• grifhunter, John L and Mad Russian like this

#24 John L

John L

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,478 posts

Posted November 23 2016 - 11:41 AM

Finally see the sun and the winds dye down a little,hunted low yesterday same story nothing moving.

I had some time on hands so was thinking of the good old days when deer hunting was and never will be what is use to be.

I am not new to deer hunting let see 47 years did it all and have taken a few really nice bucks both states Pa. @ N.Y.

DEC every were road blocks opening day (Monday) and ran threw Thanksgiving weekend.

The opening day for some strange reason did take it toll on the bucks but Thanksgiving week end man you seen a ton of deer heading downstate.

Today world lucky you see a doe heading down from upstate

The deer are here but few in numbers.

The deer heard are gone thank's to DEC 

Kill the does in large numbers and in a few more years deer sighting will be like seeing a ghost in the woods.

Pa. Hunter complain about the every day doe tag in there 10 day season (late 90's)and seeing a deer was ruff ON state lands the deer were gone.

The heard now are slowly making a comeback being they change there doe season to the second week.

I remember hunting Pa. and doe season was the 3 days after the big game season closed

I am sure you remember the Fair Oaks deer check about 1965 my cousins first year hunting shoots a huge doe when the DEC aged it the said it was at least 14 years old. We were there for a long time so they could take measurements and pictures. The only thing you could make out of it was stew it was like eating your boot.

• Mad Russian likes this

#25 VtwinHP

VtwinHP

Respected Gunowner

• 173 posts

Posted November 23 2016 - 12:36 PM

Rough weather but still a good season opener.

#26 winston

winston

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 3,053 posts

Posted November 23 2016 - 05:03 PM

corner of parkway drive north and Harned rod in commack 12am saw 4 to 6 point buck hop the fence last week less than 1/4 mile from my house

• Mad Russian likes this

#27 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 7,341 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 23 2016 - 07:50 PM

Plenty of deer tracks by my stand this morning. Nothing was worth shooting. Heard only 3 shots near my stand. Going to hunt tomorrow morning, if no buck is around I might fill my doe tag.
  • Mad Russian likes this

#28 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 7,341 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 23 2016 - 07:54 PM

Plenty of deer tracks by my stand this morning. Nothing was worth shooting. Heard only 3 shots near my stand. Going to hunt tomorrow morning, if no buck is around I might fill my doe tag.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20161123_062352380.jpg

• Mad Russian likes this

#29 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,341 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 24 2016 - 12:15 PM

It was a beautiful morning, shot this doe through her neck over 100 yards away. Hit no traffic to be with the family for Thanksgiving!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20161124_085917144.jpg
  • IMG_20161124_091706303.jpg
  • IMG_20161124_092003437.jpg
  • IMG_20161124_092354448.jpg

• CAP1974 and Mad Russian like this

#30 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator

• 10,090 posts

Posted November 24 2016 - 08:06 PM

Nice deer. I wish we had that little snow by my camp. when I went to take down my blind I had to climb threw a drift that was waste deep on me. The report I got this morning from the last camp up there was 1 doe take this am at first light and no other shoots and no signs anywhere.

Hard hunting this year.

SO the three places we usually take deer to all said the same thing this is the last year they are doing deer. Why is this they really weren't given any answers when ask why but one did say the BS was to much. 

#31 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 7,341 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 25 2016 - 08:05 AM

Nice deer. I wish we had that little snow by my camp. when I went to take down my blind I had to climb threw a drift that was waste deep on me. The report I got this morning from the last camp up there was 1 doe take this am at first light and no other shoots and no signs anywhere.

Hard hunting this year.

SO the three places we usually take deer to all said the same thing this is the last year they are doing deer. Why is this they really weren't given any answers when ask why but one did say the BS was to much.

Opening day morning was a successful day. A 200 pound 7 point buck that was 8 points before the rut. I seen many smaller bucks, with good potential for next year. We did have a foot or more of snow drifts. Monday was blizzard conditions. Tuesday afternoon the deer moved late. Wednesday was quiet, expected to hear more shots with it being a calm sunny day. Thanksgiving morning was a distant gun shot. I was pressed for time and harvested a nice size doe at 8am.
  • Mad Russian likes this

#32 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,341 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 26 2016 - 06:58 AM

Have to love the sight of a deer running in the snow.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20161124_081806048.jpg

#33 lonewolf5347

lonewolf5347

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,446 posts

Posted November 26 2016 - 12:08 PM

well will give another shot later to day  the main problem no one is in the woods hunting Deer just not moving.

Yesterday we put up a drive  funny kicked up 4 deer at the bottom of the mountain they ran but not to the ridge .

I think I will return for Black Pow season  to see if we can I deer of the mountain.

#34 lichris

lichris

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 3,905 posts
  • LocationStuck in a liberal hell hole.

Posted November 26 2016 - 04:41 PM

I passed on a tiny doe today and didn't get a decent shot on two others bow hunting today. Next week, I start gun hunting upstate.

Wait, wtf forum is this? Back to the shadows...

#35 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,341 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 27 2016 - 09:41 PM

Today was all doe, tomorrow is opening day in Pennsylvania. I hope one of us gets a buck!

#36 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 10,090 posts

Posted November 28 2016 - 06:26 PM

Hope you had good luck today. 

Came home today and had a 6 pt tending a doe on my front lawn. I really hate hunting.

#37 Browning

Browning

Gun Guru

• 507 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted November 28 2016 - 07:05 PM

Opening day 8 am,FB_IMG_1480377784974.jpg
  • CAP1974 and boosti like this

#38 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 3,972 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted November 28 2016 - 07:45 PM

Ran the deer over with the John Deere,  huh ?

#39 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,341 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 28 2016 - 10:38 PM

I was hunting this morning in Pennsylvania for opening day. I only heard 4 shots this morning. Opening day in New York was much better. A few doe walked by my stand. The Code Blue didn't seem to have any effect on drawing in a buck. The rut must be over.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20161128_100015553.jpg

#40 lonewolf5347

lonewolf5347

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,446 posts

Posted November 28 2016 - 11:48 PM

I did meet up to day with a few old timers that still hunt they all said the same thing it may be there last season to hunt deer in n.y.s.

I drove down on Sunday morning from Hancock total deer hunters driving home a ton of guys number of encounter with deer harvested  O

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users