Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Gun store etiquette

gun store etiquette

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 pipes1004

pipes1004

Marksman

• Donated Member
  • 66 posts

Posted August 27 2016 - 04:57 PM

No sure if this has been brought up before but there is always alot of bashing of stores and stores bashing costumers back especial people new to firearms. So here I go please add .
1 Treat the sales person with respect and respect the buyer unless they cross the line ( it does not take a genus to figure out that)
2 Go in to the shop knowing how much you can spend
3 Have and Idea of what you want the google machine is a great invention (Lord of War "Bring me the Gun of Rambo")
4 Lisen to the suggestions of the sales person they may know more than you ( Do not roll your eyes there are people that know more than you).
5 Lisen to the ideas of the buyer they also may know more than the sales person ( Do not roll your eyes there are people that know more than you).
6 Treat all costumers as equals ( just because one has spend 2000 in the past maybe the guy in front of him has 100000 to spend)
7 Don't Molest all of the fire arms in the store and don't buy anything see line 3.
8 Don't get impatient good things take time you are not the center of the universe.
9 Do not try and sell some one something they can not afford you are not a used car salesman.
10 If you can not get some thing you are better off telling the person were they can get it, this will give you future business.
11 If you can not get what you want do not jump up and down and stamp you feet you are not 5.

Edited by pipes1004, August 27 2016 - 05:16 PM.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 eastplayer87

eastplayer87

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1,721 posts

Posted August 27 2016 - 10:07 PM

12 Do not flag customers or employees. Point the gun somewhere you know someone wont walk past(or atleast point the gun up or down if someone does). Happens way to many times.

#3 CommonSense

CommonSense

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,739 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore Nassau

Posted August 28 2016 - 05:17 AM

13. Don't dry fire a rimfire

#4 gwbahren

gwbahren

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 767 posts

Posted August 28 2016 - 06:22 AM

14) State your intentions

I like to tell the salesperson I am "just looking, thinking about getting a "________", and I would like to check it out, and ask some questions. I do this especially if I just drop in, and really can't afford to drop coin that day. Usually, I get a good reception to this gesture, as they see a potential future sale.

#5 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 16,074 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted August 28 2016 - 07:08 AM

15. Don't be an @$$#013.
16. Take a shower.

• whitefoot and TheKnot like this

#6 whitefoot

whitefoot

Powderfinger

• Donated Member
  • 2,478 posts
  • LocationGONE TO EARTH

Posted August 28 2016 - 07:18 AM

17. As you just walk in the door, Don't yell across the store to the guy behind the counter " GOT ANY 22LR " ?

#7 LI Ammo

LI Ammo

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Established Member, Club LIF Member

• 867 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted August 28 2016 - 07:18 AM

Drum roll please................Most importantly.............More Drums...............

Do not walk in to the gun shop, draw your loaded weapon, and say, "Look what I just bought!".

(happens all the time, especially with police officers)

Do not walk up to the counter with your rifle you want scoped and clear the action and a live round flies out..

(happened yesterday with an AR, yes a police officer, happens too often... at least once a month....)

All the rest is the politeness you learned in kindergarten, not shooting someone accidentally is a slightly more serious discussion.
  • BLAMMO, whitefoot, ProGodProGunProLife and 1 other like this

#8 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member

• 16,074 posts

Posted August 28 2016 - 07:24 AM

18. Get rid of the "guns store rats".

You know, the guys who just like to hang out there on weekends and schmooze with the owner and the staff. I don't care how much money they've spent there or how chummy they are with the owner. They think that entitles them but it creates a terrible environment especially for newbs and first timers. Like it's a clique or club of which the rest of us are not members. It's bad enough when they just draw time away from helping customers who need it but the most infuriating is when they chime in on your conversation with the attendant with arrogant and snarky quips to show you how much more they know than you do.

Anybody remember Guns & Ammo in Bohemia? I was only in the place twice. Both times on a Saturday when you'd think it would be hopping with customers. No paying customers just the same rats both times. First time, I bought something overpriced and felt like I was being a nuisance. Second time, I walk in, was pretty much ignored and walked out. Some of you probably know what happened to that guy.

Edited by BLAMMO, August 28 2016 - 07:36 AM.

• TJ Ironhorse, bigartie and Swstock like this

#9 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationBehind Enemy Lines

Posted August 28 2016 - 01:06 PM

When I go into a gunstore as a customer with the intention of actually buying a gun I'm not looking to make friends with other customers there or start any lengthy "small talk"

Although small talk is nice on occasion if you're not buying anything, but at a point it becomes a distraction to me when I'm pulling out my NYS DL, Pistol/Rifle permit, and at the same time trying to complete the 4473 form and pass the NICS check.

The other thing is, if I am picking up a special order firearm, its usually something I spent a good penny on and waited months for. Please don't ask me to let you touch it. I don't know you and don't want your fingerprints on my stuff.
  • bigartie likes this

#10 hawkeye

hawkeye

Gunecologist

• Club LIF Member

• 2,243 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted August 28 2016 - 01:22 PM

Worst I've seen is when the gun store hanging idiots approach a customer and tell him that they have the same gun and they'll sell it to you at a better price or that another dealer has it cheaper.
  • BLAMMO, TJ Ironhorse and bigartie like this

#11 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted August 28 2016 - 07:19 PM

I've found over the past 35 years, most gun stores dont make the customer feel overly comfortable. I have a thick skin, and a lot of experience dealing with it. Doesnt bother me, but if your a new shooter, well it can definitely make you uncomfortable. Havent ever been able to understand the mindset of alienating customers. Remember, without customers, your business will eventually fail.
With all the competion from the internet, they should be bending over backwards to win your loyalty. Jmho
  • winston, bigartie, len349 and 1 other like this

#12 covertjy

covertjy

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Free World

Posted August 29 2016 - 05:42 AM

I don't know if it's NY State arrogance or just the way we have been brought along with all the restrictions of the "SAFE Act". I've found that gun stores are not a place to window shop. I typically do A LOT of research online before I walk into a store. The reason being that I want to sound as if I have a basic knowledge of what I want to look at or buy.

The reason I say it may be a NY thing is because all of my dealings outside of NY have been much friendlier. Even if I'm contacting someone on Gunbroker they usually take the time to answer all of my questions without any pressure to buy. Just my two cents.
  • TJ Ironhorse and gwbahren like this

#13 nyc_dawg1997

nyc_dawg1997

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 977 posts

Posted August 29 2016 - 10:33 AM

15. Don't be an @$$#013.

this is true, personally I never experience rude sales person, but a friend of mine did, who came into a gun store and had no knowledge whatsoever about guns. He asked for self defense gun, and sales person just handed him a pump shotgun and rudely said... this is "what you ever need" .. so they just lost a potential buyer and a bitter taste about gun store.

Some people who never held a gun feel intimidated coming into a gun store, I know I did..., but when you are treated rudely, just makes things worse.

#14 firemanvin

firemanvin

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • 453 posts

Posted August 29 2016 - 10:33 AM

Might be more of a rhetorical question but - Is it good etiquette or bad to start out good with the sales guy at a gun store, and then steer the conversion into the usual stuff we complain about on this forum; Cuomo, Obama, the un-SAFE Act, wishing we were in a free state, NYS police, the corrupt pistol licensing bureaus of Nassau, Suffolk, NYC, what we can't own simply because we live in NY, etc? I always seem to do that no matter what I am looking to buy, or get more information about. I never seem to get an attitude about it, but I feel that I always wind up distracting myself from the real purpose of the visit.

#15 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member

• 16,074 posts

Posted August 29 2016 - 11:20 AM

this is true, personally I never experience rude sales person, but a friend of mine did, who came into a gun store and had no knowledge whatsoever about guns. He asked for self defense gun, and sales person just handed him a pump shotgun and rudely said... this is "what you ever need" .. so they just lost a potential buyer and a bitter taste about gun store.

Some people who never held a gun feel intimidated coming into a gun store, I know I did..., but when you are treated rudely, just makes things worse.

I never understood that. They size up a customer and cater to the guy that is a seasoned gun owner and is most likely to make a purchase right then and there. That guy doesn't need to be catered to. He spends a lot on guns already. Treat him fair and square, you'll make the sale and he'll be back.

It's the newb and the first-timer who really needs attention. Spend some time with him and don't be afraid to let him walk out, because if he walks out feeling good about the experience, he'll be back. Make him want to give you his money. Make him feel guilty for not giving you his money. Some of them will become big spenders. Because, after all, guns sell themselves. It's called building a customer base. And a political base too. We need more gun owners, not barriers to entry.
  • bigartie and ProGodProGunProLife like this

#16 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,939 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted August 29 2016 - 11:45 AM

Thought this was going to be a joke thread. Gun Store Etiquette. Mutually exclusive like military intelligence, right ?
  • Billy1258 likes this

#17 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member

• 16,074 posts

Posted August 29 2016 - 01:44 PM

Thought this was going to be a joke thread. ...

A guy walks into a gun store ...

"Hey, le'me see that Desert Eagle in the case."

No pistol license in sight.

:gaffaw2

#18 TwentyTimes

TwentyTimes

Respected Gunowner

• 100 posts
  • LocationHolbrook

Posted February 28 2017 - 10:37 PM

Understand the salesperson time. If you're looking, don't take him away from buyers. Let them know your doing research.

If you're new, let them know from the start. This way they can adjust accordingly. Newbies (me) need more TLC. They may need to call over another salespersons backup.

You're paying for their time and knowledge. Not so much the items you cannot purchase online, but the rest of the stuff. If they're a few dollars more, support local if they helped you.

If you don't have an item in stock, don't expect a customer to wait. If you're ordering it specifically for a customer (and taking a deposit), the price should be as low as any where else. The inventory risk is not there.

#19 TwentyTimes

TwentyTimes

Respected Gunowner

• 100 posts
  • LocationHolbrook

Posted February 28 2017 - 10:42 PM

I had to take a deep breath walking into a store for the first time. I did'nt want to sound too dumb. I knew what I didn't want (somewhat), but that was it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gun, store, etiquette

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users