Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Bensons Gun shop in Middle Island

transfer at bensons gun shop

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 lonewolf5347

lonewolf5347

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,444 posts

Posted July 23 2016 - 08:34 AM

I did purchase a used hand gun and did the transfer yesterday at Bensons gun shop .
I will say A+ customer service and they only charged 10.00 can't beat that with a stick.
  • killian likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,337 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted July 23 2016 - 08:43 AM

I always use them for private transfers; quick and cheap.
  • killian likes this

#3 killian

killian

Retired

• Donated Member
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationEastern Suffolk

Posted July 23 2016 - 10:21 AM

Nick is great over there, goes above and beyond. I also do all my handgun transfers there. $10 and ten minutes from the PLB, can't beat it.

#4 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,686 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted July 23 2016 - 10:31 AM

What do they charge for long guns ?

#5 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,337 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted July 23 2016 - 10:34 AM

They follow the state law...$10/price transfer of firearms (all)
  • ecr likes this

#6 wdeister08

wdeister08

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 223 posts

Posted July 23 2016 - 12:14 PM

They follow the state law...$10/price transfer of firearms (all)

I saw that in the SAFE Act too. Wondered why so many shops got away with charging more than $10 for transfers.

#7 lonewolf5347

lonewolf5347

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,444 posts

Posted July 23 2016 - 01:48 PM

I seen some shops charge a much as 45.00 bucks to transfer a used hand gun transaction
Benson for me was a little out of my way 32 miles so I stop at smoky bones for dinner

#8 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,337 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted July 23 2016 - 02:31 PM

The place in Yaphank north of PLB told me $65 the one and only time I inquired... Nuts!!
  • ecr likes this

#9 depiazzy

depiazzy

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Locationislip

Posted October 09 2016 - 12:13 PM

Only went to bensons once for a transfer on long rifle. Kid working behind the counter was nice. The fat guy behind the counter could not stand him. Tells me a legally purchased ny compliant ar was illegal. Most uneducated smelly person ive met
  • Lostinthewoods, DomiFan, marine5203 and 1 other like this

#10 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 9,674 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted October 09 2016 - 12:58 PM

In bought a few guns from them over the years. No real deals but a big selection. I've fondled quite a few gun there or the years.

#11 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,686 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted October 09 2016 - 08:00 PM

Some of my best .45s came from Benson's used pistol case
  • killian likes this

#12 class3

class3

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3,554 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted October 09 2016 - 08:55 PM

One local shop (to go nameless) charged $35 to me and $35 to the buyer of a pistol, total of $70. I no longer do business there as that struck me as quite excessive.
  • TonyD likes this

#13 William Anthony

William Anthony

Respected Gunowner

• 152 posts
  • LocationEast Quogue L.I. N.Y.

Posted October 10 2016 - 08:15 AM

I would also recommend them. I was about to buy a new a 22 Ruger from them and they said they just taken in a used one in perfect condition which was an Anniversary model and would give to me around $70 cheaper, so I bought it. It was a much nicer rifle and it was cheaper. I also called them to ask if they could get me a regular stock for my Mossberg 20 GA.( which i had also bought from them about 20yrs ago) it had a pistol grip on it at the time. They told me to come on over to the store and talk to Nick and he would see what they could do.He had a stock waiting for me when I got there and when I asked him how much it was , he said no charge. Can't beat that kind of service.
  • killian likes this

#14 Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!

• Donated Member
  • 21,941 posts
  • LocationUltimate irony is admiring a foreign President more than your own!

Posted October 10 2016 - 09:33 PM

One local shop (to go nameless) charged $35 to me and $35 to the buyer of a pistol, total of $70. I no longer do business there as that struck me as quite excessive.

Why wouldn't you name the shop? Maybe others and the shop can learn a lesson?
  • vfrday likes this

#15 woodro77

woodro77

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 68 posts

Posted December 19 2016 - 07:41 PM

some of the most over priced guns i seen in a long time . $3000 for a nys compliant M1A , nuts !

#16 Chris76

Chris76

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCoram

Posted December 19 2016 - 09:02 PM

I just got a new Springfield xD there. I had a pleasant experience. Price was exactly what I would of paid anywhere.

#17 Trailblazer

Trailblazer

Sharp Shooter!

• Others: Donated Member

• 1,184 posts

Posted December 20 2016 - 10:52 AM

So all of a sudden Bensions is good??

#18 set2374

set2374

Sharp Shooter!

• 374 posts
  • LocationEast Rockaway

Posted December 20 2016 - 11:37 AM

some of the most over priced guns i seen in a long time . $3000 for a nys compliant M1A , nuts !

I have seen quite a bit of this lately.   Without naming names, I have seen a few dealers in the area that are charging above MSRP for rifles that don't demand a premium.  It's particularly odd, since (with few exceptions) the gun industry is like the car industry in that no one pays MSRP.   Nevertheless, one local gun shop was selling a Black Rain NY Compliant AR for $120 over MSRP.   At the time, I told them I would buy the gun at list price, but I am not going to pay a premium.   After the sales person checked the price and saw that I was correct about the markup he called the owner to find out what was going on.   He told me when the owner bought the gun, the MSRP was $120 more than it is now and he wouldn't make money if he sold the gun to me at the current MSRP.   This just tells me that the guy is greedy.   He obviously has had the gun in inventory for a LONG time (since the price drop was over a year ago).  He probably marked it up from day one and never offered even a modest discount on it.   Now that BR dropped its price on the gun, he is screwed but figures he'll find some sucker that will take it off his hands.   Six months later, that rifle is still on his shelf 

Another shop (which happens to be a forum sponsor) is also a rediculously overpriced on everything from guns to Ammo.   For example, they had a bog standard re-arsenaled Yugo SKS  (in very good condition, but with internals still covered on cosmoline) sitting on the rack for 8 months and they were asking $600 plus tax for it.   You can get those online from 10 different vendors for no more than $450 shipped to your house (if you have a FFL 3 license) and those dealers are still making money on the sale.   Seriously, I am all for buying local and even spending a little more to keep our local guys in the black.   That said, local guys have to be fair and reasonable when it comes to their pricing.   They need to make an extra $20 over online pricing on a $500 gun, I get it.  If they want to stick me for an extra $100, sorry!!!!   

• winston likes this

#19 Ballistic

Ballistic

Triple Distilled Unfiltered Truth

• 3,294 posts
  • LocationUnder the Yoke of Serfdom

Posted December 20 2016 - 12:40 PM

The fat guy behind the counter could not stand him. Tells me a legally purchased ny compliant ar was illegal. Most uneducated smelly person ive met

Long haired guy?  Yup.  I've had to convince a few people there that "putting a pre-ban magazine in a post-ban rifle already made you a felon" was total bullsh!t.

• cleansweep and Jont like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users