Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

I almost lost my dog

almost lost my dog

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PaPaBear

PaPaBear

NYS Safety Instructor

• Board Moderator
  • 3,872 posts
  • LocationIslip

Posted July 22 2016 - 01:45 PM

about 10 days ago some one threw some food in my yard. My dog Marshal who I train from a pup for duck hunting found it and gotten sick for 2 days he was vomiting> when i took him to the vet I found out he had pancreatitis and the bill was going to be $2000 witch i do not have my vet worked with me he let me take all the med's he would need home and for me to give them to him 3 different pills 3 I.V. Bags witch i had to give 1/2 in the morning and the other 1/2 in the evenings and also the pills he was good when i had to put the needle in him he sat for 25 minuets each time the hard part was and still is giving him the pills today was the first time in over a week he ate sold food and drank water he needs to take two pills in the am and 2 in the pm for the next four days looks like hes going to live he got this from some one trowing scraps of food in my yard. Any dog can get this from eating people food if you care for your dogs do not give them the food we eat they have there own food and should eat that only

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,576 posts

Posted July 22 2016 - 02:43 PM

Sorry to hear about your dog. I hope he makes a complete recovery. Thanks for posting your story. I try very hard not to give my dog people food. I do sometimes see her chewing on something in the yard. It usually turns out to be bread, possibly dropped by a bird.
Its almost impossible to monitor their every move, especially since we assume they are safe in their own yard. Lesson to be learned here guys.

#3 NRATC53

NRATC53

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 20,417 posts

Posted July 22 2016 - 02:51 PM

Sorry to hear. My dogs always ate dog food and only dog food, save a burger that fell off the grill. There are many things that we consider innocuous that can harm or kill pets. Is there a chance that someone threw intentionally bad stuff to your dog?

#4 Tracee

Tracee

Marksman

• 75 posts
  • LocationSea Cliff, NY

Posted July 22 2016 - 02:53 PM

I think about this as I'm making the rounds with my pup: what sicko leaves tainted food out for a dog to pick up? I always try to keep an eye on what he's rooting around for. Best wishes for both of you, and a tip 'o the hat to your vet for the "time-payment plan".
  • NRATC53 likes this

#5 Mr.Rmz

Mr.Rmz

Marksman

• 50 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted July 22 2016 - 03:18 PM

My dog eats chicken and steak. we cook it for him every day.

#6 LongIsland Guy

LongIsland Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,329 posts
  • LocationLake Ronk

Posted July 22 2016 - 05:42 PM

It's the saturated fats (bacon) that can do them in.....glad your pooch is on the road to recovery!

#7 cleansweep

cleansweep

Respected Gunowner

• Club LIF Member
  • 253 posts
  • LocationBrookhaven

Posted July 22 2016 - 05:46 PM

Food refusal is an important part of any training program. Glad to hear your pup will make it.
  • NRATC53 and gwbahren like this

#8 mongo

mongo

INFIDEL

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 7,262 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted July 22 2016 - 06:14 PM

I always find scraps of food in my yard from the neighbors garbage, Racoons have a field day and scatter crap all over the place..Glad your dog is going to be ok...Happened to my dog a couple yearsback also..... Dogs are great and its the people who suck...

#9 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 18,721 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted July 22 2016 - 07:44 PM

Get well soon.

#10 gwbahren

gwbahren

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 763 posts

Posted July 22 2016 - 08:38 PM

I went through pancreatitis with a Boston Terrier a number of years back. As she came out of it, I thought I was going to lose her, she just would not eat. Ironically, it was people food that saved her. She was very fussy about what she would eat. I would have to bring home a variety of stuff to see what appealed to her that day. one the way home, I would stop at fast food burger place, taco bell, deli, Pizza parlor, etc. I would take ONLY A VERY SMALL AMOUNT OF THESE FOODS, MASH IT UP WITH WATER AND ADD IT TO THE PRESCRIBED FOOD. The amount she actually got was more for aroma, to stimulate appetite, than actual substance. It worked(for her,... I put on some pounds with all the leftover human junk food I brought home each day! :)). Also, for pills, I had to use liverwurst, the ONLY way she would take them.

#11 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 1,651 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted July 23 2016 - 06:55 AM

I would let my neighbors know you are not happy about the incident

#12 PaPaBear

PaPaBear

NYS Safety Instructor

• Board Moderator
  • 3,872 posts
  • LocationIslip

Posted July 23 2016 - 05:30 PM

Sorry to hear. My dogs always ate dog food and only dog food, save a burger that fell off the grill. There are many things that we consider innocuous that can harm or kill pets. Is there a chance that someone threw intentionally bad stuff to your dog?

i belive some one did just that I have am idea what street they live on but dont know the house im trying to find out when i do i will get the police involved

#13 Mikeybonez28

Mikeybonez28

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted July 24 2016 - 12:24 AM

They purposely poisoned your dog, it's happened before to my wife before we got married. Maybe your dog barked too loud or pooped too close to their fence, who knows? Karma is a mother fudger though, they'll get theirs

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

#14 cleansweep

cleansweep

Respected Gunowner

• Club LIF Member
  • 253 posts
  • LocationBrookhaven

Posted July 24 2016 - 07:57 PM

" one the way home, I would stop at fast food burger place, taco bell, deli, Pizza parlor, etc".

what no ARBY'S
  • gwbahren likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: almost, lost, my, dog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users