Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Dad Reacting to Hot Shell Casing Shoots and Kills Teenage Son

2K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  grifhunter 
#1 ·
"'A teenager who died after a shooting at a Florida gun rangeon Sunday was killed accidentally by
his father,' cbsnews.com reports. 'The Sarasota County Sheriff's Office said in a statement that
they concluded the shooting at the High Noon Gun Shop was not intentional based on witness
statements and video.'

According to police, Stephen J. Brumby, 14, and his dad, William C. Brumby, 64, were
practicing in a shooting lane against a wall when the accident took place.

'After firing a round, the spent shell casing struck the wall causing it to deflect and fall
into the back of (the elder) Mr. Brumby's shirt. Brumby then used his right hand, which was
holding the handgun, in an attempt to remove the casing. While doing so, he inadvertently
pointed the firearm directly behind him and accidently [sic] fired,' a police statement reads.

I've seen shooters do the 'hot casing dance' with a loaded firearm - especially females shooting
with low-cut tops. But I never once thought a gun owner would be distracted enough to use his gun
hand to reach for red-hot shell casing.

Assuming that's what happened. Any way you look at it, the man's son paid the price for not one
but two violations of the four rules of gun safety. Which is how these things go down. And why
those rules have to be burned into a shooter's subconscious to the point where nothing overrides
them. I can't recommend force-on-force training enough. Otherwise and in any case, early education
and constant repetition are the key to four rule dominance."

Read more: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/07/robert-farago/tragedy-at-at-floridas-high-noon-gun-range-dad-reacting-to-hot-shell-casing-shoots-and-kills-teenage-son/

See less See more
#8 ·
Too many people just panic - they don't respond in a meaningful manner - just jump and scream and flail about...

- I lost an argument with a table saw - I clamped the losing hand shut, raised it over my head and started looking for my fingers while yelling to my uncle we had to go to the hospital....

Flipside is a guy I read about who nicked his fingers on a model airplane prop..... panicked - couldn't decide what to do - drove towards a hospital, turned around headed for home - turned around and headed for the hospital again, turned for home again..... they found him dead on the side of the road.... bled out from a fairly minor cut because he lost his ability to THINK in a moment of panic.

I get hot brass in the shirt - I piss and *****... knowing that 1) I'm already burned as bad as it's going to be and 2) the brass is cooling off and not doing any more damage.... There's no reason to start jumping around, the damage is done - and it is not going to kill you.

Reactions: ProGodProGunProLife
#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
I saw a girl a Brookhaven catch a 7.62x39 case with her boos and get a 2nd degree burn in like 3 second she dam near stripped down naked..

Sorry to hear of his lose turely a sad day.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
I still have a scar on my neck from a hot shell that got stuck under my collar in MCT. I just kept shooting. If I had jumped around or swung my rifle backwards my RSO and coaches would've beat the s**t out of me. (after disarming me and properly clearing my weapon)

Very sad, will be hard to live with.

#13 ·
Try firing a SAW from the hip as a lefty, and forgetting to roll your sleeve down.

OWQuitItOWQuitItOWQuitItOWQuitItOWQuitItOWQuitItOWQuitItOWQuitIt

Actually I just wanted to brag that I've done that because I miss it.

As to the article I could see the dad going the anti-gun for the simple reason that it's easier to blame something or someone else for such a horrible event, than it is to deal with it as the consequence of personal actions and failings.

#18 ·
Just had the hot shell experience this past weekend at the 22 match. I was RO'ng a rifle shooter, and you have to get real close for the timer to pick up the shots. The empty brass was hitting me all over. One empty hit the base of my neck, and stuck to it because I was sweating. Even though it was only a 22, it literally burned off a layer of skin there. I have this round, quarter size scar on my neck. Looks worse than a hickey. But I just sucked it up as I was in the middle of running a shooter, and certainly didn't want to startle her with my screams of pain.

#20 ·
I was at Smithtown range the other day, a guy was there with his girlfriend/wife who was clearly uncomfortable firing the pistol, one casing hit her, she stepped back from the firing lane and started swinging her loaded pistol all over the place while trying to figure out where the casing went ... I felt obliged to give them a short lesson on gun safety, not sure they got it :-(

#22 ·
Here is an updated article about this accident:
Freakin' British press loves these stories. Next time post the story without the link, as these anti's love you clicking and generating revenue at the expense of your rights.

Reactions: LongIsland Guy
#21 ·
I was at the range today for my qualification and the girl to the left of me had a Sig. Sigs seem to be the least common firearm on the job and I had never had the pleasure of shooting to the right of someone with the Sig...until today. Brass to the face every other shot. Annoying as hell and I had to consciously time my shots with hers because it was becoming such a distraction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.