Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

High end meat stick recommendation?

high end meat stick recommendation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,827 posts

Posted June 21 2016 - 09:48 AM

I have a mint condition Penn 704z bail-less just sitting in a box without a mate, and it's been bothering me for some time. I have a nice 9' setup for north shore and bucktailing, I have a 10'6" Mojo Surf setup for south shore that I like alot, but it's just too light for chunking from the beach. I dont know if it was a defect in the rod, but my first one snapped in half the first day I used it casting blob of clam into the surf....of course they replaced it but I have been scared ever since. I have an 11' Tsunami(Uglystick clone) with a cheap Penn Pursuit reel on it that I have been using as my meat stick ever since because I can cast as much weight as I want with it, but I wish I had something a bit better. What I really need is something that can toss a 6oz sinker(or more) and a chunk/clam as far as humanly possible. The best 11' rods I have seen cover 3-8 oz, but I worry that is not enough to really put your back into launching one out there. But when you jump to 12', the ratings go up to 6-16oz and I am worried that is too much and I will lose feel??? Anyone fish a 12' St Croix or Team Daiwa rated 6-16 oz lure?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 PaPaBear

PaPaBear

NYS Safety Instructor

• Board Moderator
  • 3,872 posts
  • LocationIslip

Posted June 21 2016 - 10:31 AM

I use an 11 foot Tsunami for throwing clams and bunker on the south shore i have a 6500 bait runner on it works excellent

#3 LiDad

LiDad

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 10,011 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted June 21 2016 - 10:35 AM

Seriously, have you ever tried casting an 8oz sinker?!

#4 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,827 posts

Posted June 21 2016 - 11:39 AM

Seriously, have you ever tried casting an 8oz sinker?!

No, 6 oz is the most I have tried to cast with what I have. Why? I have wished I had more weight at times

#5 LiDad

LiDad

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 10,011 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted June 21 2016 - 11:52 AM

No, 6 oz is the most I have tried to cast with what I have. Why? I have wished I had more weight at times

Try casting a brick. ;)

If you need 8+ ounces to hold bottom from the surf maybe bottom fishing isn't the best options that trip...

#6 NYG60

NYG60

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 491 posts
  • LocationSmith Point

Posted June 21 2016 - 01:23 PM

I use a Lami 1361MH, can launch half bunkers and 8 or 12 ozs. Reel is a Newell 344 spooled with big game 50, or a squidder spooled with 40.
3 sided pyramid sinkers. This is what works for the small crew that fish with me..2-6 oz is for placid waters...the right cuts and near inlet spots, and heavy surf require 8+. I draw the line at 12's.

Mike

Edited by NYG60, June 21 2016 - 01:24 PM.

#7 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,827 posts

Posted June 21 2016 - 02:37 PM

I use a Lami 1361MH, can launch half bunkers and 8 or 12 ozs. Reel is a Newell 344 spooled with big game 50, or a squidder spooled with 40.
3 sided pyramid sinkers. This is what works for the small crew that fish with me..2-6 oz is for placid waters...the right cuts and near inlet spots, and heavy surf require 8+. I draw the line at 12's.

Mike

Thanks man, first relevant answer. So your rod is rated what, 4-8oz lure? And you have no problems launching big weight?

#8 peteinsuffolk

peteinsuffolk

• Administrators
  • 7,342 posts

Posted June 21 2016 - 04:32 PM

I'm going this route...

#9 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 9,920 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted June 21 2016 - 06:11 PM

Sorry can't help im a northshore fisherman

#10 NYG60

NYG60

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 491 posts
  • LocationSmith Point

Posted June 23 2016 - 08:42 AM

Thanks man, first relevant answer. So your rod is rated what, 4-8oz lure? And you have no problems launching big weight?

This graphite blank was rated to 16 0z. I fish South Shore inlet areas, ocean sides..I only carry 8 and 12 oz sinkers for these areas, make short heavy leaders (80# 10 & 16 inch), and launch heads and half bunker with ease. The cast is definitely a slower deliberate arch, but I place what I need where I need to. I could go on and on..I've done LI Fisherman seminars on this exact approach. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Mike

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: high, end, meat, stick, recommendation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users