Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Recomendation for an Off-Road Company for a 6" Lift

recomendation for an off road company lift

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,337 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted May 23 2016 - 02:40 PM

For $5K, wouldn't you be better off buying an old Jeep in good condition and decking it out with your lights? That may even benefit marketing to the off-road community.
  • O1SalsaX, Mad Russian and BillyBonds like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#42 Ransom

Ransom

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 6,235 posts
  • LocationCuomo's State

Posted May 23 2016 - 03:00 PM

I'd Lift My F150 just afraid it would void the Bumper to Bumper warrantee If something goes wrong and they can blame the lift they will.... something to think about....

#43 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1,805 posts

Posted May 23 2016 - 03:52 PM

Those prices included wheels/tires btw... Fuel Vapors/Nitto Terra Grapller 35 x 12.50

You only void the warranty on the components you alter, and with a lift... it'd go towards anything touching the suspension I'd imagine.

Small price to pay I suppose.

#44 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,337 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted May 23 2016 - 04:16 PM

... And drivetrain; the lift will stress any half shafts, u-joints, etc.

#45 Kamakazi118

Kamakazi118

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 276 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted May 23 2016 - 04:33 PM

Since you want to go that big, a suspension lift is really your only option, and having it professionally installed is the only way to go in my opinion. Obviously you can see the price for this to be done. Having installed a few different lifts, and having friends with a slew of different lifts, my recommendation would be to not go with a suspension lift, specifically because you said this is your daily driver. Suspension lifts present a new world of problems you may experience, from tire wear to ball joint where to bearing wear, steering offset, loose steering, etc. etc. etc...... The best lift combo for a pick-up that is already bone stock is a leveling kit, which will run you under $100, and a body lift kit which will run you under $200. both of these kits can be installed in a matter of 2 days with you and a buddy even with no prior experience (prior experience with basic mechanical work would be nice). with this combo you can get a 4 maybe 5 inches of lift without screwing up your steering or pinion angles and fit 33-35" tires. Top it off with a real nice set of shocks (around $200-300) and wheel spacers and wheels and you are done.... the only potential fab work is with the bumpers, which any kit I've worked with has fairly simple guide to correct your bumper height in comparison to the body lift. As mentioned, the great part about going this route is that after you are done, and get a wheel alignment, the truck will still ride stock. Again, this is my recommendation for a daily driver truck, if you are going to do some heavy duty off-roading, then the suspension lift might be the better option. I've done this or assisted with this combo on 3 trucks and the end product is great, awesome stance, stock handling, and minimal damage to your pocket....... That's just my 2 cents, obviously you go with what works for you, just throwing another option out there.

#46 O1SalsaX

O1SalsaX

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,377 posts

Posted May 23 2016 - 04:33 PM

... And drivetrain; the lift will stress any half shafts, u-joints, etc.

And steering and braking and any computer controlled components that will freak out with the larger tire size as well.

#47 Kamakazi118

Kamakazi118

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 276 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted May 23 2016 - 04:46 PM

And steering and braking and any computer controlled components that will freak out with the larger tire size as well.

Very true, the speedo is really the biggest issue, brakes may wear prematurely, with the combo I suggested, the extra $ saved can be used towards a tuner that will allow you to reprogram your ECU based on the tire size......... but that will void the warranty........ I know people who just re-flash to stock when bringing it in for service, that's not a recommendation, just an observation (just covering my tush haha).

#48 Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 21,941 posts
  • LocationUltimate irony is admiring a foreign President more than your own!

Posted May 23 2016 - 05:00 PM

I have an '07 Trailblazer that I want to do a mild lift on, 3" in the back, 2.5 front.

But then I might as well replace the struts, and rear shocks...maybe get shocks with helper springs...just because...
I don't really want giant tires...but I should get better rotors and pads...and while I'm here might as well change all the fluids...only two differentials and a transfer gear box...transmission...brakes fluid...oh and there's a bit of unsightly rust on parts of the frame I really should attend to that...now I'm looking at a long weekends worth of work and I don't even have an off road permit...
  • O1SalsaX likes this

#49 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• 1,805 posts

Posted May 23 2016 - 07:31 PM

Maybe I'll do a 3" level and run 33" tires... I believe my truck can do that with just the 3" level from what guys tell me on the ford forums.

My dad recommended a body lift also, but 'm not famliar with those

#50 american223

american223

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBrookhaven

Posted May 23 2016 - 08:24 PM

real men work on they own cars.

#51 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• 1,805 posts

Posted May 23 2016 - 08:56 PM

Ohh stop... some of us don't have the tools/knowledge/time to do all that.

I think I may do a level over a lift... however RMS does not do levels, they only want to do lifts... but I can't wing their $7k+ price tag.

#52 Mac52

Mac52

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRidge, NY

Posted May 23 2016 - 09:02 PM

Talk to nick at pursuit in Hauppauge

#53 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,827 posts

Posted May 24 2016 - 07:02 AM

Ohh stop... some of us don't have the tools/knowledge/time to do all that.

I think I may do a level over a lift... however RMS does not do levels, they only want to do lifts... but I can't wing their $7k+ price tag.

Thats funny because the first time I ever went into RMS, I wanted to run a wider tire and slight offset on my 2013 F350 SRW for a more aggressive look without raising the height in the rear because I tow a gooseneck horse trailer. They told me it couldnt be done without a leveling kit, and of course would do that for me. I went to The Truck Shop and they told me I did not need a leveling kit, they do them every day and I would be 100% fine. All the contradictions is another reason why I prefer to do things myself.
  • mrprovy likes this

#54 champ112

champ112

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 87 posts

Posted May 24 2016 - 07:11 AM

Pursuit in happauge! Hahahahhhaha they must of grown to quickly bc I spoke to them once and to,d them what I want and they don't get back to me. They say "we are working on it and we will email it to you" well that was 2 months ago. And yes I called them every couple weeks. As far as I'm concerned they suck!

#55 NYram

NYram

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 927 posts

Posted May 24 2016 - 09:22 AM

a leveling kit will destroy your cv angles. that is the worst thing to do. if you want to a lift and do it correctly do a full suspension lift. With a full suspension lift you get new knuckles, new subframe which drops the transfer case so you keep your stock cv angles, etc......

a leveling kit just adds spacers on that truck and is the cheap way to go. you'll be paying down the road for all of the worn suspension parts.

I have a 6" suspension lift on my truck that i installed myself. when i did the lift i did all new bushings, stage 3 tie rods, new a-arms, shocks, etc..... I even put my airlift in the rear for towing again. The truck rides better than new. Im also running 37's on it and there is zero play in the steering, no shakes, wobbles or anything of the sort. Its a 2500hd and it rides like a cadillac now.

I've also had friends who used TNT and truck shop, in my opinion their work is overpriced and not very good. they did a friends truck because he was too lazy to do it himself and when he got it back they used all of the old bushings for the A-arms and everything else. The truck is now a squeaky rattle box.

another thing. there are a ton of lifts out there from rough country, fab tech, tuff country, zone, etc........ i would pretty much guarantee that if you layed out all the pieces from each manufacturer you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I've done a bunch of these and you're paying for the name.

contact SD spring in ronkonkoma, there prices are the cheapest around. they will also match any competitors price if you find it cheaper which i doubt. your 150 should be very straight forward to do. you won't have the hassle of getting torsion bars removed that are stuck in place or trying to break keys free.

#56 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• 1,805 posts

Posted May 24 2016 - 02:49 PM

I gave TNT a call, seems like a nice guy we BS a bit. He's got an F-150 he's working on so I'm going to try and stop by there Saturday to see how he's making out with it. Decent price too. Higher then truck shop, lower then RMS. Right in the middle. So that works for me. And I got a few recommendations to use him.

#57 rubbermittens

rubbermittens

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 3,932 posts

Posted May 24 2016 - 03:46 PM

True. But remember, part of that $10,000 a day they are trying to make ( I know, it's ridiculous) is to pay the insane taxes they have to pay.

You forgot, insane rent, insane workmans comp and liability as well

#58 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• 1,805 posts

Posted June 15 2016 - 05:02 PM

So few updates on this. I had talked to Leo at TNT, but the F-150 he had coming in, he never gave me a heads up on that it was there, so by the time I asked him about it, it had already been picked up. I reached out to him yesterday for a price again, he didn't get back to me. Called him today, he said he got busy yesterday (understandable) and said he'd call me right back. That was 2 hours ago... so yeah... Leo seems to get a lot of good reviews, but I've also been told by numerous people he's an acquired taste. I'm not a fan of people not getting back to me, especially when I want to give them business... soo i'm still on the lookout for a company.

I emailed that place in NJ someone recommended and I'll see if those guys in Bay Shore can handle my project.

Any other places out there you guys recommend?

#59 Steve936

Steve936

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 297 posts

Posted June 15 2016 - 07:04 PM

Steve Jr. at TJ Auto in Oceanside.
Pursuit Off Road Division
Justin at Bridgehampton Autoworks

#60 Jakef150

Jakef150

Respected Gunowner

• Club LIF Member
  • 268 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted June 15 2016 - 07:32 PM

Curious, why you want 6" ?

I installed 2 of F150 level kit.

Few of them F150 w/ 2" auto spring level kit it fits 35"

My truck F150 with 1.5" level kit autos print it fits 33.3" with no problem.

I use my truck for beach.

Inbox me I can help you to install the level kit.

Auto spring is the best. It's steel, powder coating it's only about $130-145

I usually go to F 150 online com forum

Jake

Edited by Jakef150, June 15 2016 - 07:33 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: recomendation, for, an, off, road, company, lift

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users