Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Recomendation for an Off-Road Company for a 6" Lift

recomendation for an off road company lift

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 etl330

etl330

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 120 posts
  • LocationLI

Posted May 22 2016 - 01:06 PM

Have a friends come over and helping you with lift, after that, party!!

That what we did in past with jeeps stuff

Sadly the jeep community, at least on Long Island, isn't what it used to be. I wasn't around for those good old days, but I see how helpful groups are out of state and wish LI groups were half that decent.
  • Mayhm13 likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 Attackcammel

Attackcammel

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted May 22 2016 - 03:29 PM

Lol I would stay very very far away from RMS and Truck shop. TNT I wouldn't go near because of the guy's attitude, though it seems he may have gotten better since going full time at the shop as you don't hear as many bad stories anymore. Goonie's Garage in Holtsville is fantastic and John knows his stuff, but he has really evolved into strictly a jeep shop because that's what he likes to do the most. He's just getting over and injury and may still be backlogged(actually he's almost always got a wait to get into the shop), but you'd definitely be in capable, honest and fair hands with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never had an attitude from Leo but it's definitely not an in and out deal there he does like to talk.

Ok you said your making off road lighting what kind light I'm interested in some light for my Tundra

I'd like to know also I've had some ideas for lights on my jeep that I've been holding off on doing

Posted Image

Mine is on the right

Posted Image

And it would have to hold up to a little water
  • O1SalsaX likes this

#23 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1,839 posts

Posted May 22 2016 - 07:16 PM

zzrguy I run a website called 4x4TruckLEDs.com - everything from roof light bars and headlight LEDs to replacement leds. My big seller is the LED Headlight bulbs (best on the market).

So right now the truck looks good with the LED's but I need more to drive business... I'm a new startup so my goal is to get it lifted, make it look like a really cool ride so I can go to shows and setup a booth/etc...

So basically TNT sucks, and truck shop sucks and RMS sucks, lol... but I mean that's just one guys opinion, it's bound to happen.

I've had 2 people tell me truck shop is bad, one guy said RMS is bad, one guy said TNT is bad, a bunch said truck shop is good, a bunch said TNT is good and a bunch said RMS is good.

One guy said truck shop was more, but for me, RMS was 2k more...

I guess I'll just call everybody, see what they can do it for, what parts they use, see some of their work, etc... I'll be calling TNT on Monday to get a quote from him. He did email me back right away which is a plus in my book.

All truck guys can have an attitude if you don't speak the lingo. I've been in and out of the automotive aftermarket industry for a LONG time and know that first hand. From ricers to truck guys, i've seen it all and then some. I've seen fabricators who are nicer then santa and then fabricators who are down right pricks. Everybodys different based on who they deal with is all. Some guys have bad days, some bad weeks, etc...

I'll talk to them all, see who I like the best, who's got a good reputation and make my decision.

Thanks for some of the names though, it's more then I knew about.

#24 Steve936

Steve936

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 297 posts

Posted May 22 2016 - 07:56 PM

There is a shop in Oceanside, TJ Auto. It's been a general repair shop for over 30 yrs. As the owners son came of age, he cut his teeth in a diesel shop. Customization and lifts. That last few years he has partnered with his Dad and opened a truck customization business focusing in diesel performance, lifts, rims, tires and appearance upgrades out of his Dad's shop.

Check them out of FB and Instagram TJ Automotive.

Steve is the Dad and Steve Jr. is his son...

(They keep my diesel tow pig running like a top, and help me out on my trail jeep when I can't get out to Evan's 4x4.)

#25 Lostinthewoods

Lostinthewoods

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 756 posts

Posted May 22 2016 - 08:17 PM

zzrguy I run a website called 4x4TruckLEDs.com - everything from roof light bars and headlight LEDs to replacement leds. My big seller is the LED Headlight bulbs (best on the market).

So right now the truck looks good with the LED's but I need more to drive business... I'm a new startup so my goal is to get it lifted, make it look like a really cool ride so I can go to shows and setup a booth/etc...

So basically TNT sucks, and truck shop sucks and RMS sucks, lol... but I mean that's just one guys opinion, it's bound to happen.

I've had 2 people tell me truck shop is bad, one guy said RMS is bad, one guy said TNT is bad, a bunch said truck shop is good, a bunch said TNT is good and a bunch said RMS is good.

One guy said truck shop was more, but for me, RMS was 2k more...

I guess I'll just call everybody, see what they can do it for, what parts they use, see some of their work, etc... I'll be calling TNT on Monday to get a quote from him. He did email me back right away which is a plus in my book.

All truck guys can have an attitude if you don't speak the lingo. I've been in and out of the automotive aftermarket industry for a LONG time and know that first hand. From ricers to truck guys, i've seen it all and then some. I've seen fabricators who are nicer then santa and then fabricators who are down right pricks. Everybodys different based on who they deal with is all. Some guys have bad days, some bad weeks, etc...

I'll talk to them all, see who I like the best, who's got a good reputation and make my decision.

Thanks for some of the names though, it's more then I knew about.

Leverage your business. Let these guys know what you do and your intentions to advertise with your truck. Let them put their logo somewhere on the truck and I'm sure, if they have any business sense, they will make sure their work is a good reflection on their name.

#26 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• 1,839 posts

Posted May 22 2016 - 09:05 PM

That's a touchy subject that I havn't played with. These truck shops also sell LED lighting (and from what I've seen, are not as knowledgeable in the subject as me, for them it's another accessory to sell.. for me, it's my bread/butter). So I try not to mix the two. I was in The Truck Shop the other week and actually was trying to help the customer get the right bulb #. The size he wanted was not in stock so I was telling him another model that is compatible. Felt like the shop itself didn't really have all the info, they had to use a website to find the right model # rather then having KNOWLEDGE on the subject)

I also don't really want to put a lot of logos on my truck.

#27 blue05

blue05

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 96 posts

Posted May 23 2016 - 04:23 AM

RMS did 2 trucks for my bro-in-law and he was very happy. the most recent was a 2014 ram. it drove well and they were good to him.

#28 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,827 posts

Posted May 23 2016 - 08:57 AM

We were shopping lifts and wheels/tires for our new Jeep. Went to both RMS and Truck Shop, and here was our experience.....

Truck shop offered 2 lifts, either a Budget Boost(spacers) for I think it was $600 without install, or a full blown $2,000 lift kit(pre-install). I think the install ran $800 for the budget boost, and over $1k for the full suspension lift. Wheels and tires pricing seemed somewhat competitive with online pricing.

RMS pushes BDS lifts, which arent that bad, but same thing when it comes to $1000 for the labor. My gf's mom used them for her package and they charged her $7,000 for 5 wheels/tires(35x12.5x15), 3" BDS lift, upgrade to FOX shocks, retractable side steps, and install. She then needed to take the jeep somewhere else for an alignment because it didnt drive right, but I think it is more because their lift kit didnt include an adjustable track bar to center the front axle again and control arm brackets to compensate for the new ride height. Otherwise, I know she is happy with the lift.

In the end, I couldnt see myself paying $1000 plus to have someone install new springs and shocks(all that a lift is) when I could do it in my driveway in half a day. Also wasnt impressed with any of the 3 lift options they were pushing. In the end, I ended up putting together my own lift with better components and including the adjustable track bar and control arm brackets for $1200 all in. I will install the lift myself and save myself over $2k in labor and parts markups and I will have exactly what I want. Wheels and tires I will still probably buy locally since any slight premium will be well worth the convenience.

I would suggest picking out your parts and talk to your mechanic to see what he would charge. At flat rate a lift should only run about 6 hours max, so maybe around $700? Order your kit and bring it in.

Edited by BillyBonds, May 23 2016 - 08:58 AM.

• O1SalsaX and xcentrk like this

#29 CAP1974

CAP1974

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others:
  • 1,745 posts
  • LocationMassapequa

Posted May 23 2016 - 09:17 AM

Call Chris Longo at Big Power Racing:
631-392-1525
bigpowerracing.com
204 N Fehr Way
Bayshore 11706
They perform work on brand new vehicles even before they go on the dealership floor and has performed a lot of work for me. Tell Chris Bob Leone referred you.
  • Mad Russian likes this

#30 CAP1974

CAP1974

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others:
  • 1,745 posts
  • LocationMassapequa

Posted May 23 2016 - 09:18 AM

Edited by CAP1974, May 23 2016 - 09:18 AM.

#31 NYram

NYram

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 927 posts

Posted May 23 2016 - 09:42 AM

I did mine myself. It's not hard at all to do a lift. What kind of lift are you doing?

Attached Files

#32 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,816 posts

Posted May 23 2016 - 09:45 AM

I can't do my own lift... I don't have that skillset (my skills with vehicles stops at electrical). So that's out of the question.

Any truck shop will work on a new truck... lol... who would turn away business because the truck is new *rolls eyes*

Any shop will also work on a truck even if they don't go offroading (they will probably recommend a less expensive lift kit... one without coilovers maybe since they are not going to be used on the pavement for example)

I've stopped at the Truck Shop. nice folks there. I've known about them a while. Someone I work with told me they did a bad job on his brothers trucks... but that's one guy who had an issue. You can get that "one" bad review anywhere you go.

I also stopped at RMS offroad... but he was $2k higher using the same components basically. Truck shop wasn't charging me a lot extra on hardware. I can buy all the components through distribution so what he was charging me, was a fair markup. I think RMS was charging me a huge markup on the parts.

I think you just answered your own question
  • O1SalsaX likes this

#33 O1SalsaX

O1SalsaX

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,377 posts

Posted May 23 2016 - 10:57 AM

We were shopping lifts and wheels/tires for our new Jeep. Went to both RMS and Truck Shop, and here was our experience.....

Truck shop offered 2 lifts, either a Budget Boost(spacers) for I think it was $600 without install, or a full blown $2,000 lift kit(pre-install). I think the install ran $800 for the budget boost, and over $1k for the full suspension lift. Wheels and tires pricing seemed somewhat competitive with online pricing.

RMS pushes BDS lifts, which arent that bad, but same thing when it comes to $1000 for the labor. My gf's mom used them for her package and they charged her $7,000 for 5 wheels/tires(35x12.5x15), 3" BDS lift, upgrade to FOX shocks, retractable side steps, and install. She then needed to take the jeep somewhere else for an alignment because it didnt drive right, but I think it is more because their lift kit didnt include an adjustable track bar to center the front axle again and control arm brackets to compensate for the new ride height. Otherwise, I know she is happy with the lift.

In the end, I couldnt see myself paying $1000 plus to have someone install new springs and shocks(all that a lift is) when I could do it in my driveway in half a day. Also wasnt impressed with any of the 3 lift options they were pushing. In the end, I ended up putting together my own lift with better components and including the adjustable track bar and control arm brackets for $1200 all in. I will install the lift myself and save myself over $2k in labor and parts markups and I will have exactly what I want. Wheels and tires I will still probably buy locally since any slight premium will be well worth the convenience.

I would suggest picking out your parts and talk to your mechanic to see what he would charge. At flat rate a lift should only run about 6 hours max, so maybe around $700? Order your kit and bring it in.

I did a 2" budget lift in my 07 Wrangler Unlimited, after removing a terrible 4" Skyjacker lift installed by a previous owner's shop. The skyjacker was crazy with bump steer and death wobble and it was running 35's. There is no reason to go with a giant lift on a JK if the 2" lift can fit up to 37's on a 4 door with some fender trimming, and 35's on a 2 door. At least, that was the logic I used to justify to the wife. LOL Ended up selling the skycrapper lift for $500 too.. :)
  • Mad Russian likes this

#34 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,827 posts

Posted May 23 2016 - 11:09 AM

I did a 2" budget lift in my 07 Wrangler Unlimited, after removing a terrible 4" Skyjacker lift installed by a previous owner's shop. The skyjacker was crazy with bump steer and death wobble and it was running 35's. There is no reason to go with a giant lift on a JK if the 2" lift can fit up to 37's on a 4 door with some fender trimming, and 35's on a 2 door. At least, that was the logic I used to justify to the wife. LOL Ended up selling the skycrapper lift for $500 too.. :)

We test drove a few "slightly used" jeeps that were already lifted and they all drove anywhere from bad to terrible, and it was all because of cheap or poorly installed lifts. We will be taking it on the beach, so I was torn between running 33"s and just installing a spacer lift for a little extra clearance, or doing a full suspension lift and running 35"s....and my gf had to have the 35"s. I already have all the lift components in the garage and I am just waiting on a free weekend day to install them, I will post some before and after pics when I do it.
  • O1SalsaX and Mad Russian like this

#35 O1SalsaX

O1SalsaX

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,377 posts

Posted May 23 2016 - 11:16 AM

We test drove a few "slightly used" jeeps that were already lifted and they all drove anywhere from bad to terrible, and it was all because of cheap or poorly installed lifts. We will be taking it on the beach, so I was torn between running 33"s and just installing a spacer lift for a little extra clearance, or doing a full suspension lift and running 35"s....and my gf had to have the 35"s. I already have all the lift components in the garage and I am just waiting on a free weekend day to install them, I will post some before and after pics when I do it.

Totally agree. But you have to love the fact that JK's can fit giant tires with minimal lift now. As opposed to TJ's and older with 4" lift minimum for even 33's. Hahaha There is nothing wrong with a 2" spacer lift on a JK. Just keep in mind that it won't handle as well as a spring lift. Either way works fine though. We sold our JK for exactly what we paid for it 5 years and 60k miles later. Can't believe how well they hold their value. I've moved onto a dirt cheap Land Rover rust bucket. Waiting for a free weekend to install my 2" spring/shock lift and full braking system rebuild on my 97 Disco I.
  • BillyBonds likes this

#36 Conifers4

Conifers4

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted May 23 2016 - 12:09 PM

If only the OP had a Jeep, Fords have a completely different suspension system which is a bit more difficult to modify vs. the Jeep.
  • O1SalsaX likes this

#37 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 20,816 posts

Posted May 23 2016 - 12:11 PM

If only the OP had a Jeep, Fords have a completely different suspension system which is a bit more difficult to modify vs. the Jeep.

Yeah, all he'd need would be a bucket of Legos....and a case of PB Blaster...
  • O1SalsaX and Conifers4 like this

#38 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• 1,839 posts

Posted May 23 2016 - 12:17 PM

Yeah a lot more places do work on Jeeps but so far the "big guys" I've heard of work on Fords.

Ya know.. you DONT need a lift to go on the beach right? Any 4WD vehicle will do (and they limit you to 33" tires or less... though I doubt anybody will care if you have 35s). Maybe in a Jeep you need a lift because ya know... it's a jeep :) (just kidding, put down the pick axes sheep owners... ope there I go again)... naw I like jeeps. As a 2nd truck for the weekend. I think they drive like crap but that's another story for another day (still like them, easy easy!)

Sooo I got another recomendation for TNT today so I'll call them.

Basically I'll talk to a few places, everybody seems to be giving me the same 3-4 names so that's good. Can't seem to go wrong it seems.

Truck Shop was like $5200 after tax (or was that before, i forget now)
RMS was $7500 ish, maybe less, i forget... but yeah using BDS

Truck Shop uses Zones... which is honestly about the same price as BDS. BDS retails for $1900 for a 6" lift kit, whereas the zones was costing me $1700 from the truck shop price... so figure BDS in the real world goes for $1700-$1800 as well.

My price on a zones is like $1300 but I don't mind giving a dealer his profit since he's responsible for everything.

Truck shop seemed FAIR on the wheel/tire prices. He's gotta make money so I'm fine with that.

I DONT know what RMS was charging...

Truck shop was about a days labor... $970 (they charge $120 an hour so that's 8 hours basically)

RMS.. not sure what his rate was. I had emailed him but still waiting on a response for the breakdown...

I'll call TNT still since I got another recomendation today and I'll stop by and see Bob as well since I work down the street
  • Mad Russian likes this

#39 O1SalsaX

O1SalsaX

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,377 posts

Posted May 23 2016 - 01:12 PM

Those insane prices and you'll have a tall IFS pickup with tiny tires? Wow... just wow... Add another $2k-$3k for tires when you're done.

#40 Conifers4

Conifers4

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted May 23 2016 - 01:47 PM

$7500 for a suspension lift??? Oh my Lord

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: recomendation, for, an, off, road, company, lift

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users