Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Underwater video points to Peconic fish kill on the horizon

underwater video points to peconic fish kill on the horizon

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 trapshooterbob

trapshooterbob

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 4,370 posts
  • LocationBohemia, NY

Posted May 12 2016 - 02:46 PM

http://suffolktimes.timesreview.com/2016/05/67780/underwater-video-points-to-peconic-fish-kill-on-the-horizon/

NOTE: CLICK THE LINK TO SEE THE VIDEO

Hundreds of bunker, their mouths yawning open as they gape for oxygenated water and to clean their gills, were filmed swimming in the Peconic River Wednesday.

It’s a sign that a harmful algal bloom, known as mahogany tide, could soon cause another large fish kill in the river.

The video was shot underwater off the banks of the Peconic River at about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday by marine biologist Chris Paparo.

“I was down there this morning and there was even more fish than there was yesterday,” Mr. Paparo said Thursday morning.

Marine Researchers have been tracking a bloom of the same algae that caused a massive die-off in the river last May, according to an in-depth report published Wednesday on riverheadlocal.com.

“They get so dense that they cloud the water,” Mr. Paparo said of the blooms. “It’s like an orangey, rusty brown.”

Predator fish, like bluefish and striped bass, frequently chase bunker into shallow, low oxygen waters sometimes causing die-offs around this time of year. But last year scientists reported one of the biggest fish kills ever in the region following an algal bloom, something they said in a February report could become the norm.

On Thursday, the Riverhead Town Board discussed a plan to remove bunker fish from the Peconic Bay in hopes of preventing another large fish kill. The town and the state DEC would pay fishermen four cents a pound to remove the bunker, under the proposal.

Fishermen hired by the DEC have already removed over 150,000 pounds of bunker fish since Monday, Town Supervisor Sean Walter said.

Nitrogen is the key culprit in a fish kill. The nutrient gets washed into the water supply by rain. Nitrogen can come from septic tanks, cesspools or fertilizers.

The nitrogen then gets eaten by blooms of algae. The algae grows bigger and sucks oxygen out of the water at night.

Algae, like all plants, uses oxygen when the sun goes and down and emits CO2.

Fish also need oxygenated water to survive and when the oxygen content reaches dangerously low levels, the fish die.

vchinese@timesreview.com

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 mongo

mongo

INFIDEL

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 7,262 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted May 12 2016 - 03:05 PM

I fish up river in the Peconic, the kill is in the brackish water by the bay....the water is really nasty there..

#3 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,726 posts

Posted May 12 2016 - 03:24 PM

I'm part of the Peconic Estuary Program, the hypoxia and N2 overloads are regular and devastating

#4 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 7,899 posts

Posted May 12 2016 - 03:26 PM

They should have a Round up to net as many bunker as the can get out of the effected area. Sharkers and bait company's can freeze up as many chum blocks as they can for wholesale. Bass and blue fishermen can always use fresh and frozen bunker. Farms use bunker for fertilizer. I think they even use them for making explosives. They should lift all restrictions on large scale netting for these instances. A shame to see these fish rotting in the shallows.

Edited by C6NY, May 12 2016 - 03:27 PM.

• trapshooterbob, loadingdockman and rlitman like this

#5 trapshooterbob

trapshooterbob

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 4,370 posts
  • LocationBohemia, NY

Posted May 12 2016 - 03:39 PM

I'm part of the Peconic Estuary Program, the hypoxia and N2 overloads are regular and devastating

I remember this happening last year too.

#6 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted May 12 2016 - 03:39 PM

Got to have those fertilized golf courses ya know.
  • grifhunter likes this

#7 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,726 posts

Posted May 12 2016 - 03:44 PM

They have actually developed timed (not time release) fertilizers for the farmers out there. They release the correct amount at the correct time depending on the crop. Most farmers have "bought in" to the program because they use less. The golf courses and landscapers are another matter

#8 class3

class3

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3,554 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted May 12 2016 - 03:53 PM

Quick, dump a few hundred gallons of RoundUp in the drink, that will clear that algae fast.
  • Aquabach likes this

#9 anothersteve

anothersteve

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 818 posts

Posted May 12 2016 - 04:29 PM

Yep, must be those damn golf courses. Close them all and sell the land to developers.
Later,Steve

Edited by anothersteve, May 12 2016 - 05:38 PM.

#10 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 19,199 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted May 12 2016 - 04:49 PM

A non golfer no doubt.
  • anothersteve likes this

#11 Ransom

Ransom

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6,235 posts
  • LocationCuomo's State

Posted May 12 2016 - 05:25 PM

What a shame polluting our bays and oceans

#12 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted May 12 2016 - 05:50 PM

Yep, must be those damn golf courses. Close them all and sell the land to developers.
Later,Steve

Oh Steve. You were half way right.
Close them all and make them rifle ranges!
  • Tonto and C6NY like this

#13 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted May 12 2016 - 05:54 PM

A non golfer no doubt.

I don't mind golf at all but understand that here on Long island they try to shut down trap ranges because of noise pollution, lead pollution, etc.
The same people that want that, and complain about cow farts destroying the planet have no problem with polluting our ocean and estuaries as long as they can have luscious lawns and beautiful golf courses to attend affairs.
It is to those people that I say it.
  • grifhunter, Tonto, rlitman and 1 other like this

#14 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7,899 posts

Posted May 12 2016 - 06:11 PM

A non golfer no doubt.

"A good walk spoiled"

#15 anothersteve

anothersteve

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 818 posts

Posted May 12 2016 - 06:22 PM

I don't mind golf at all but understand that here on Long island they try to shut down trap ranges because of noise pollution, lead pollution, etc.
The same people that want that, and complain about cow farts destroying the planet have no problem with polluting our ocean and estuaries as long as they can have luscious lawns and beautiful golf courses to attend affairs.
It is to those people that I say it.

I'm not arguing with you and do agree to some extent. But golf courses are not the problem. Look into the GCSAA, golf course supers assn. of America. Read up on it, most courses adhere to their guidance and policies.
Food for thought :
There are 120 plus golf courses here on the Island, public and private. It takes about 120 acres per course, and that's on the low end. That acreage includes the clubhouse, facilities, garages, parking lots, etc.. Given that, lets say the courses are all sold and they are built on. Let's say building parcels would be 1/4 acre each, that would mean building well over 60,000 homes. Now I don't know about you, but I would rather have the open space of golf courses instead of the environmental impact of all those homes.
And, if like I said, if you look up the GCSAA, golf courses, adhering to their policies is much better than any residential impacts.
Later, Steve (yes I'm an avid golfer)

Edited by anothersteve, May 12 2016 - 06:36 PM.

#16 CTM

CTM

Sharp Shooter!

• 337 posts
  • LocationColchester,NY & Suffolk, NY

Posted May 12 2016 - 06:23 PM

Clearly we need less fish, so I propose that they capture only the male fish and then sterilize them to cut down on the population.

No, I am not crazy. In fact NYC city thinks that is going to work on Staten Island to control the deer population.
They are going start the program by spening $2 million by darting bucks and snippig them.

Of course the thought of allowing some limited hunting is deemed to dangerous, and of course the anti's would go to every court to block it.
  • Aquabach likes this

#17 beachbumm

beachbumm

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 955 posts
  • LocationBrookhaven

Posted May 12 2016 - 08:25 PM

I saw thousands in a canal in Flanders this week they are just swimming to the end of the canal and they just keep piling up till there dead I should have video it , crazy to see

#18 PeepSight

PeepSight

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 15,402 posts

Posted May 12 2016 - 08:34 PM

Can we invite Hilliary for a swim?

#19 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7,899 posts

Posted May 12 2016 - 08:43 PM

Can we invite Hilliary for a swim?

I'll wager decaying bunker smells like roses compared to her.
  • Aquabach likes this

#20 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted May 12 2016 - 11:22 PM

I'm not arguing with you and do agree to some extent. But golf courses are not the problem. Look into the GCSAA, golf course supers assn. of America. Read up on it, most courses adhere to their guidance and policies.
Food for thought :
There are 120 plus golf courses here on the Island, public and private. It takes about 120 acres per course, and that's on the low end. That acreage includes the clubhouse, facilities, garages, parking lots, etc.. Given that, lets say the courses are all sold and they are built on. Let's say building parcels would be 1/4 acre each, that would mean building well over 60,000 homes. Now I don't know about you, but I would rather have the open space of golf courses instead of the environmental impact of all those homes.
And, if like I said, if you look up the GCSAA, golf courses, adhering to their policies is much better than any residential impacts.
Later, Steve (yes I'm an avid golfer)

In a way you're not understanding my post.
If the people that have no problem with golf courses are worried about cow farts they are messed up.
That's what I'm talking about. The ridiculous of people that think that way.
I have no problem, with golf courses.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: underwater, video, points, to, peconic, fish, kill, on, the, horizon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users