Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Air Rifle Field Target Shooting

air rifle field target shooting

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tom2009

tom2009

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 140 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted May 10 2016 - 06:04 PM

If your have an Air Rifle and looking for a fun and challenging use for it field target might be just what your looking for. What is field target its a shooting sport where you have targets set out any where from 10 yards to 55 yards, the targets are knock over type target with a hit zones from 1/2" to 1-1/2"
I run an airgun only shooting club and we hold field target shoots on Long Island at The Long Island Shooting Range in Brookhaven
There are 3 classes in field target
WFTF - This is World Field Target it shoot with an Precharged Pneumatic or Spring Piston power plant with a power level limited to 12ft lbs
Open - This is similar WFTF but power level is limited 20ft lbs
Hunter - limited to 12X scope and 20ft lbs
there are other details about each class but those are the basics

The dates we are holding the shoots as follows 5-28, 7-2, 8-20, 9-24 and 9-25 and 10-16
if you are interested but don't have an air rifle I have a few loaners for you use just email me at escaaclub@gmail.com your can visit my website escaaclub.com

Thanks for looking
Tom

Attached Files

• gwbahren likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2,106 posts

Posted May 10 2016 - 08:34 PM

Hmmmm.....interesting. I just happened to pick up an RWS 34 in .17 cal with iron sights. I don't have the scratch for a scope yet. Is there any way for me to participate with this rig?

Edited by blue steel, May 10 2016 - 08:36 PM.

#3 tom2009

tom2009

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 140 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted May 11 2016 - 03:39 AM

I sent you a message
field target can be shoot with a pellet gun sorry no BBs

#4 Sport454

Sport454

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 975 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted May 11 2016 - 06:26 AM

Sounds interesting. I have never seen air rifles rate in ft-lbs before? Usually ft/sec. Where can I find that info?

#5 tom2009

tom2009

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 140 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted May 11 2016 - 11:59 AM

There formulas that take the pellet weight + FPS = ft lbs
Hawkesportoptics.com has a program that makes it easy and is great tool for setting up a scope
some examples
.177 - 7.9grs @ 1000fps is 17.54 ft lbs
.177 - 8.4grs @ 1000fps is 18.65 ft lbs
.177 - 10.50grs @ 926fps is 20.00 ft lbs

#6 Sport454

Sport454

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 975 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted May 11 2016 - 01:40 PM

I didn't see it on hawkesportoptics but I did find it on pyramidair.

Crossman 7.4 gr pointed @ 1,000 fps = 11.37 ft-lbs

Definitely interested. Please send a PM with details

#7 tom2009

tom2009

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 140 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted May 18 2016 - 05:52 PM

I didn't see it on hawkesportoptics but I did find it on pyramidair.

Crossman 7.4 gr pointed @ 1,000 fps = 11.37 ft-lbs

Definitely interested. Please send a PM with details

sent you a message

#8 tom2009

tom2009

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 140 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted May 18 2016 - 05:54 PM

Match details
ESCAA (Eastern Suffolk Competitive Airgunners Association) in Long Island, N.Y., Field Target match shoots for 2016.

DATES: Saturday 5-28-16, Saturday 7-02-16, Saturday 8-20-16, Saturday 9-24-16 & Sunday 9-25-16 and Sunday 10-16-16.

CLASSES: AAFTA: OPEN: PCP & Spring Piston, WFTF: PCP & Spring Piston, HUNTER: PCP & Spring Piston, OFF-HAND, JUNIOR, PISTOL and UNLIMITED.

RULES: A 20 Foot Pound Maximum applies to all rifles; Current AAFTA rules apply.

ELIGIBILITY: Open to all shooters both club members and non-members.

FEES: $10.00 for Non – members and 8.00 for members. If you want to shoot 2 classes, there will be an additional fee of 3.00

TIME: Sight-in and practice 9:00 A.M. to 10:15 A.M. Registration is from 9:00 A.M. until 10:15 A.M. The Rifle match begins at 10:30 A.M.

PROGRAM: The match will consist of 30 targets, (10 lanes 3 targets per lane) 2 shots per target for a total score of 60. The lanes will be shot near to far and timers will be used.
The pistol match will be 40 shots and shoot concurrently with the rifle match.

The shooting order will be Hunter class, Open class, WFTF class and Off-Hand class
Scoring will be “x” for a knock down and “0” for miss, the scoring for Junior will be “2” for a knock down and “1” for a face hit.
Distances will be from 10 to 55 yards

AWARDS: Awards will be based on raw scores. Awards will be given for all classes and will be awarded after the matches as soon as the scores are tallied.

DIRECTIONS:
Address: 724 Middle Country Road, Ridge, NY 11961 this address is across the road from the entry of the range
From the LIE (Long Island Express way) East or West take exit 68 North (William Floyd Parkway) to Route 25 East stay on route 25 east for about a mile on the left side you will see the Brookhaven Shooting Range the Airgun Range is located behind the registration building.

MATCH DIRECTORS:
Tom Wade phone: 631-463-4223, E-Mail: escaaclub@gmail.com
Tom Holland, Telephone: 347-886-1249, E-Mail:
sniperxbow60x@aol.com

#9 Short Track Hunter

Short Track Hunter

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1,089 posts

Posted May 18 2016 - 10:45 PM

I have an air rifle, but it is not accurate at all. I'd like to learn about it, and if there are any accurate ones...

#10 tom2009

tom2009

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 140 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted May 19 2016 - 03:54 AM

I have an air rifle, but it is not accurate at all. I'd like to learn about it, and if there are any accurate ones...

if you can make to the shoot you will see just about all the various types of air rifles and pistols PCP, Spring Piston, Break barrel, side lever and underlever
if you want to try it I have a rifle I can let you use
tom

#11 tom2009

tom2009

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 140 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted May 27 2016 - 02:07 PM

The Course is ready to go we have 10 lanes and 30 freshly painted target just waiting to have the paint removed 1 pellet at a time.
Sight in starts at 9:00
Shooters meeting at 10:15
Match starts at 10:00

#12 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 2,788 posts

Posted May 30 2016 - 08:17 PM

I went just to check it out. Let me tell you, these guys are very serious air gunners. I've never seen anything like it. very fancy equipment. It's a whole new hobby, and a whole new sport. I like a lot of things about it, like no ear protection. no recoil, no pressure wave from a big bore muzzle brake. I couldn't believe the level of equipment. Scopes I have never seen before.

Not sure I need a new hobby, but I'm tempted. I didn't have time to try out one, but the next time, I will definitely try out some of their rifles.
  • loadingdockman and tom2009 like this

#13 tom2009

tom2009

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 140 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted June 01 2016 - 05:25 AM

I went just to check it out. Let me tell you, these guys are very serious air gunners. I've never seen anything like it. very fancy equipment. It's a whole new hobby, and a whole new sport. I like a lot of things about it, like no ear protection. no recoil, no pressure wave from a big bore muzzle brake. I couldn't believe the level of equipment. Scopes I have never seen before.

Not sure I need a new hobby, but I'm tempted. I didn't have time to try out one, but the next time, I will definitely try out some of their rifles.

Larry it was nice meeting you on Saturday I have several air rifles for you to use if you want to try in fact if anyone wants to try our next shoot is Saturday July 2, 2016

Attached Files

#14 nlacov

nlacov

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRidge

Posted April 02 2017 - 11:36 AM

Hi

Was wondering can you get into this sport by using a CO2 cylinder air pistol or do you need a PCP or Piston pistol. Really sounds interesting

#15 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 10,572 posts

Posted April 02 2017 - 11:46 AM

Hi

Was wondering can you get into this sport by using a CO2 cylinder air pistol or do you need a PCP or Piston pistol. Really sounds interesting

I must have missed this thread last year.... you might need to poke the OP with a PM...  or check with Brookhaven to see if they have anything scheduled for this year....   

I've seen the gear, at least as expensive as powder guns....    If there's a more limited class I'd like to try it.

Just an FYI to those scratching their heads on the lb-ft. ratings...  I know in the UK they are limited, and i also know they have "air guns" in real calibers, slinging 'pellets' that are more like bullets   (I have a 230grain .45 cal "pellet" here...) Serious stuff.

#16 nlacov

nlacov

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRidge

Posted April 02 2017 - 12:15 PM

Thanks, looked some of the pistols up online these things can be really expensive I have a Crosman 2300s that I'd like to try

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: air, rifle, field, target, shooting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users