Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Closest FFL to Suffolk pistol license in Yaphank?

closest ffl to suffolk pistol license in yaphank

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Shmoe

Joe Shmoe

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 7,130 posts
  • LocationIn my own little world.

Posted May 03 2016 - 02:55 PM

Seems I got a gun coming in and I'm looking for the closest FFL to Yaphank. Suggestions?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 357Guy

357Guy

Fed up with FUDDS

• Donated Member
  • 2,861 posts

Posted May 03 2016 - 02:56 PM

https://suffolkshooting.wordpress.com/
  • trapshooterbob likes this

#3 Kamakazi118

Kamakazi118

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 276 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted May 03 2016 - 03:15 PM

^^^^^ Suffolk Shooting Supply....... Great guys, I have purchased a few pistols from them, I haven't done any FFL transfers with them though. Due to my home location I use Jerry for FFL transfers. Jerry is in bohemia, so if you are west of bohemia, you can always swoop by on your way to Yaphank.

#4 Mossy930spx

Mossy930spx

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6,902 posts

Posted May 03 2016 - 03:18 PM

Blowing your money. They charge too much
  • winston likes this

#5 1895guy

1895guy

shots fired

• Donated Member
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 2,350 posts
  • Locationport jeff

Posted May 03 2016 - 03:20 PM

suffolk shooting supply works great... used them to purchase a shield off of a member here. Had the whole shuffle done in less then 30mins

#6 jrd

jrd

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 490 posts

Posted May 03 2016 - 03:21 PM

Suffolk Shooting..right down the road.
$50 long guns
$55 handguns.

#7 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,827 posts

Posted May 03 2016 - 03:22 PM

How much? An extra round trip between Jerry's and Yahphank has got to cost me $10 in gas and an extra 45-60 minutes of my time. How much more can their transfer be?
  • NRATC53, Parashooter and Joe Shmoe like this

#8 357Guy

357Guy

Fed up with FUDDS

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2,861 posts

Posted May 03 2016 - 03:28 PM

The OP asked for the "closest" not the least expensive...but thanks for the heads up.

#9 Joe Shmoe

Joe Shmoe

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 7,130 posts

Posted May 03 2016 - 03:51 PM

My go to is usually SSS, but it becomes a 3-4 hour ordeal with travel time. And gas. I'll pay more for the proximety. Unfortunately.
  • Localx likes this

#10 Mossy930spx

Mossy930spx

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 6,902 posts

Posted May 03 2016 - 03:55 PM

My go to is usually SSS, but it becomes a 3-4 hour ordeal with travel time. And gas. I'll pay more for the proximety. Unfortunately.

Roger. What you picking up?

Edited by Mossy930spx, May 03 2016 - 03:55 PM.

#11 Joe Shmoe

Joe Shmoe

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 7,130 posts

Posted May 03 2016 - 04:00 PM

Pre war Polish Radom from 1939. Polish Eagle marking and no Nazi markings. A tip of the hat to the Mother Land.
  • NRATC53 and Mossy930spx like this

#12 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• 1,798 posts

Posted June 01 2016 - 11:23 PM

I'd also like something close to Yahpank but at $50, that's a bit high for me.

Dark Storm is $25 if it's an item they do not have in stock for pistols. ($50 if its in stock).

Not as close to yahpank, but I can do the "shuffle" and get back to work in Bay Shore in 1 1/2 hours.

#13 pgm888

pgm888

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2,565 posts
  • LocationSmithtown

Posted June 02 2016 - 08:08 AM

I'd also like something close to Yahpank but at $50, that's a bit high for me.

Dark Storm is $25 if it's an item they do not have in stock for pistols. ($50 if its in stock).

Not as close to yahpank, but I can do the "shuffle" and get back to work in Bay Shore in 1 1/2 hours.

why would a neighborhood gun store charge double if they stocked the firearm you are transferring? That can't make good business sense can it?

#14 Mossy930spx

Mossy930spx

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6,902 posts

Posted June 02 2016 - 08:14 AM

why would a neighborhood gun store charge double if they stocked the firearm you are transferring? That can't make good business sense can it?

Because you should have bought it from them.

Jerry's charges $25 for pistols but has late hours.

#15 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor

• 2,316 posts

Posted June 02 2016 - 08:16 AM

Because of what is called "showrooming". We spend a lot of time with customers explaining choices and going over guns. We had a lot of problems with customers coming in, we would spend a half hour, an hour or more, sometimes over multiple days to help them, often with their first firearm purchase and then they would order it online and ship it to the store to save $10 or $20.

We are very competitive on our prices, but we can't always match online sellers, particularly this time of year when dealers are dumping inventory they over-ordered for cost. This policy makes some effort to offset the time we put in.

It's not an ideal situation, but we don't have a lot of options to offset that type of behavior.
  • NRATC53, Joe Shmoe, gcloss and 2 others like this

#16 Mossy930spx

Mossy930spx

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6,902 posts

Posted June 02 2016 - 08:20 AM

I'm pretty sure most people aren't ordering online to just save $10 or $20 when they can pick it up in store. That's a little exaggerated.

When I order online its because I save upwards of $100.

But that's me.
  • TJ Ironhorse, snowblind and rubbermittens like this

#17 pgm888

pgm888

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 2,565 posts
  • LocationSmithtown

Posted June 02 2016 - 08:28 AM

Because of what is called "showrooming". We spend a lot of time with customers explaining choices and going over guns. We had a lot of problems with customers coming in, we would spend a half hour, an hour or more, sometimes over multiple days to help them, often with their first firearm purchase and then they would order it online and ship it to the store to save $10 or $20.

We are very competitive on our prices, but we can't always match online sellers, particularly this time of year when dealers are dumping inventory they over-ordered for cost. This policy makes some effort to offset the time we put in.

It's not an ideal situation, but we don't have a lot of options to offset that type of behavior.

ive never run a gun through your FFL but I do understand your point. It is a slap if one of your customers is doing that to you. But for the customer who buys a gun from you and maybe a gun from somewhere else, I think they might be put off by the double charge. But You're right. It's not ideal.

#18 gettingfedup

gettingfedup

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 796 posts
  • LocationNear the Suffolk border

Posted June 02 2016 - 09:09 AM

For the Yaphank shuffle, it seems like a no brainer. Suffolk Shooting Supply is 5 minutes from PLB. An extra hour of my time is well worth the extra $25.
  • Joe Shmoe and 38 sup like this

#19 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• 1,798 posts

Posted June 02 2016 - 10:24 AM

Honestly a lot of guys know my dad's an FFL but i buy MOST of my firearms from the local guys.

My dad is cheaper, i mean it's dealer cost... BUT I have to pay shipping to him. I have to pay shipping from him to me (and it's gotta go air). I then have to pay an FFL transfer fee... so in the end it's usually cheaper or THE SAME price to buy locally.

The only reason I do FFL transfers is if a store DOES NOT have it or can't get it.

I think $25 is fair. There is paperwork involved on the FFL so that takes up an employees time away from other customers. Local dealer's actually DO NOT make a killing on firearms, a few do, but the known guys sell pretty cheap to be honest. That's why the costs are the same having something shipped. Plus is it REALLY fair to the FFL? He's not making money having you ship something to them... I'd have to have someone ask me questions all the time only to buy it somewhere else and I don't make the sale. LOTS of overhead costs with firearm stores.. forget the rent, try insurance/safes/and inventory... it adds up.

I'm fine with a $25 fee but $50 is high for me. I try not to take business from anybody but if they don't have it I think $25 is fair (not $50).

I know DSI does the $25/$50 thing which makes sense... not sure about Suffolk Shooting. Is that $55 firm no matter if he has it in stock or not?

#20 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor

• 2,316 posts

Posted June 02 2016 - 11:46 AM

I'm pretty sure most people aren't ordering online to just save $10 or $20 when they can pick it up in store. That's a little exaggerated.

When I order online its because I save upwards of $100.

But that's me.

$100 makes sense. I've seen people do it for $5. I've also seen plenty who "save" $20 then pay $10-15 for shipping and a $25 transfer fee so it costs them more in the end.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: closest, ffl, to, suffolk, pistol, license, in, yaphank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users