Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Is it possible to just attend the second day of a two day Appleseed?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 51 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted April 19 2016 - 11:55 PM

Last Saturday I went to a one day Appleseed. I was disappointed I didn't qualify for Rifleman on the AQT we did. (I did clean the beginning and end of day red coat targets though.)

Is it possible to just attend the second day of a two day event to try for the patch?

Thanks
Paul

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 iceburg19

iceburg19

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2,404 posts

Posted April 20 2016 - 04:28 AM

You sign up and pay for a 2 day event,you can show up for either day...There's more to Project Appleseed than just earning a patch....This is about learning. ..Correct shooting techniques, American history, Where and when and how our Rifleman came about.You learn more on the first day and take the lessons learned to change bad habits.Stay sharp, you'll get a 2nd chance in a few months.
  • ChiefSailer, axeman628 and RussianNY like this

#3 ChiefSailer

ChiefSailer

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted April 20 2016 - 05:09 AM

It's a lot more than just earning a patch. Attend both days and you'll be better off for it.
  • iceburg19, ProGodProGunProLife and RussianNY like this

#4 BIGROB

BIGROB

Banned

• Banned
  • Others:
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 20 2016 - 06:16 AM

People used to attend just day 2 all the time, not sure how it works now

#5 BIGROB

BIGROB

Banned

• Banned
  • Others:
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 20 2016 - 06:16 AM

dup

Edited by BIGROB, April 20 2016 - 06:17 AM.

#6 E

E

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3,289 posts

Posted April 20 2016 - 06:19 AM

I've asked about this before and was told by an instructor that I would be missing too much.

We could probably get a one day event going if enough people would commit to it.

#7 PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 51 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted April 20 2016 - 06:53 AM

I figured the one day had everything the two day had but less time. I understood that the second day was more opportunity for supervised practice.

After the good discussion about April 18 & 19th we had I guess the the second day has some bunker hill ;)

#8 iceburg19

iceburg19

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member

• 2,404 posts

Posted April 20 2016 - 06:59 AM

Just curious ,,But what were you guys expecting with an Appleseed event. ? Did you walk away learning something ?

Edited by iceburg19, April 20 2016 - 07:02 AM.

#9 PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 51 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted April 20 2016 - 07:13 AM

Just curious ,,But what were you guys expecting with an Appleseed event. ? Did you walk away learning something ?

there was the history lesson, and with respect to guns, I never had any rifle instruction, so found it useful. My non gun owning friends had a great time and managed to tighten their groups.
  • iceburg19 likes this

#10 iceburg19

iceburg19

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 2,404 posts

Posted April 20 2016 - 07:27 AM

That's what it's about...Learning...It's a good program..I'm glad you guys walked away with something...Hope to see you guys at another Appleseed.

#11 ChiefSailer

ChiefSailer

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted April 20 2016 - 07:28 AM

I have now attended 5 Appleseed events in a row. 3 as a shooter and 2 as an IIT. I have always learned something useful during this 2 day event. In my opinion anyone who willing chooses to only attend only 1 day is doing themselves a disservice and taking a spot on the line from someone who wants to attend for both days.

Edited by ChiefSailer, April 20 2016 - 07:29 AM.

#12 Johnnyeye

Johnnyeye

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCarle place

Posted April 20 2016 - 08:22 AM

Any idea when the next appleseed will be on or around long island? all ive seen on the site is VA and GA. Did I miss the boat this year?

#13 iceburg19

iceburg19

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 2,404 posts

Posted April 20 2016 - 08:45 AM

Any idea when the next appleseed will be on or around long island? all ive seen on the site is VA and GA. Did I miss the boat this year?

No there should be one more maybe two..September looks likely, maybe one sooner , ya just have to keep checking..If I see it open up for LI. I'll pm you...
  • ProGodProGunProLife likes this

#14 RussianNY

RussianNY

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 214 posts
  • LocationHempstead, NY

Posted April 20 2016 - 09:45 AM

I would recommend to attend both days and definitely if you don't have a lot of experience with rifle. Of course it might be difficult for someone with work and family to take all weekend off but it is extremely beneficiary for any shooter. Remember, first day is at least partially dedicated to fundamentals of shooting.

#15 ironshaolin

ironshaolin

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 1,111 posts

Posted April 20 2016 - 12:20 PM

When I went, the 1st day was mostly history/instruction. We fired maybe 100-150 rounds. The 2nd day we shot about 400-500 rounds and just focused on earning rifleman. I believe what OP is saying is he already attended the 1st day, and is wondering if he can just do the 2nd day for his next time. Personally I was considering doing this as well, merely because of all the times we shot, I was like 5 points away from rifleman a handful of times, and twice I think I shot rifleman but the guy on the line next to me had a crappy mount on his scope and ended up putting an additional 8 rounds onto my target so they wouldn't count it.
  • PaulNYC likes this

#16 PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 51 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted April 20 2016 - 01:57 PM

When I went, the 1st day was mostly history/instruction. We fired maybe 100-150 rounds. The 2nd day we shot about 400-500 rounds and just focused on earning rifleman. I believe what OP is saying is he already attended the 1st day, and is wondering if he can just do the 2nd day for his next time. Personally I was considering doing this as well, merely because of all the times we shot, I was like 5 points away from rifleman a handful of times, and twice I think I shot rifleman but the guy on the line next to me had a crappy mount on his scope and ended up putting an additional 8 rounds onto my target so they wouldn't count it.

I fired only 75 rounds. I brought 500. :o

#17 RussianNY

RussianNY

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 214 posts
  • LocationHempstead, NY

Posted April 20 2016 - 02:01 PM

Shooting is a perishable skill. Trust me, you would benefit from repetition, if you can come to the first day. Again, you question was answered by :yes, you can go one day only. But most of us RECOMMENDING to go both days. Hope to see you on the firing line.
  • PaulNYC likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users