Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Questions/Comments for a New Safe

4K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  turkeytrot 
#1 ·
I've decided to take the plunge and invest into a US made gun safe. My price range is between $2k-$3.5k. There is so much information out there that my head is spinning with all the different brands and then models. The 3 I have researched the most have been Ft. Knox, Browning, and SturdySafe.

I have looked a little at AMSEC. I'm looking for a size to hold roughly 25-35 rifles (not that I have that many YET). I wanted to at least get 10g steel.

Browning has one with 11g steel with a 120 min 1600 degree fire rating or 10g with 75 min 1200 degree fire rating. Is the one gage that significant?

For Ft Knox I'm looking at the Defender or Protector as most of the features are the same.

Any info/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
If you go to Hunter sports in Massapequa, they have many Browning brand safes on display there. You can at least see and check them out.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
AMSECs are nice.

The one main thing about getting a RSC is how you place it install it. Putting it in a corner of two concrete walls where the bolts are facing the wall will prevent from sledgehammering the bolts in, and prevent leverage from tipping the safe or pry-barring the door. Even $3K "safes" (RSCs) left in a first floor closet are relatively easy to bust open (many videos online). Bolting it down is another deterrent. And hiding it out of plain sight is very important (not just in the back of a BR closet or in a garage). You can go from a curtain and moveable bookcase to getting very elaborate with this, but if they can't see it they can't rob it. A supplemental security system, CCTV or alarm along with the safe and a real lockable security door for the room it's in also go a long way.

If you take the above measures you can really extend the security value of your $2-3K RSC.

#17 ·
I have a sturdy safe and am very happy. Check out their videos on YouTube.

Remember you'll have to get it to the inside destination. I hired a local safe company (may have been Liberty) and they pretty much threw it down the steps and tried to increase the price.

I would not deal with them again. I'll double check the name of the company.

#18 ·
Don't forget that the number of guns the manufacturer states is usually much more than it is in reality. Especially if you have bolt guns, nice wood stocks or bolt actuators.

#21 ·
compare steel thickness - get a plate door not a composite door - don't buy "the illusion of security" - Sturdy Safe with steel thickness upgrades and extra plates welded in can't be beat - watch their video about "supported vs unsupported bolts" - go to brownsafe.com and research what a real safe is constructed like ("safe buying guide" section) - with that knowledge you'll make an educated decision

#23 ·
If you're spending that much, make sure you get a lifetime guarantee on EVERYTHING INCLUDING THE LOCK. Ft. Knox arranged to have someone come to my house yesterday to replace a failed electronic lock on a safe I bought in 2001. No cost to me. I had it switched out to a tumbler. I was locked out of my safe for 2 weeks due to the electronic lock failing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.