Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Boat guys - what boat

boat guys what

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 FULL METAL JACKET

FULL METAL JACKET

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 24,899 posts
  • Location"Sandpit"

Posted April 05 2016 - 03:58 PM

POPULAR

Your buddy's boat is the boat to have
  • pequa1, LedMizer, muskoday and 17 others like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 38 sup

38 sup

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 519 posts
  • Locationkings park

Posted April 05 2016 - 05:11 PM

I just picked up a very well maintained 17 foot parker for fishing, but now that my daughters always come with me I am looking for a 21 to 23 foot walkaround with a trailer. I like to be able to fish both shores and Montauk. I had a bow rider for 25 years when the girls were young and they showed little interest in fishing, now they love it, go figure.

#23 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,939 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted April 05 2016 - 05:27 PM

Every boat and every style of boat is a compromise. And opinions are like you know what, everyone has one... However it sounds as though you already know that you will most likely be fishing, and often with your daughters. You obviously need one with a head, eliminating the majority of the CCs under 21 feet. Although the Sound will definitely kick up, you don't need the size wherein you could regularly exit and enter a south shore ocean inlet.

Edited to add:
Sorry, mixed you up with the poster with the grown daughters. How old are the kids ? How long would fishing hold their interest, if at all ? We had a ball with the tube towing when they were young. By the time mine were approaching junior high, they could care less. How often would you be going "out with just the guys" or a fishing buddy ? Decisions, decisions...
My first boat, both new, was a typical 19' inexpensive bowrider, sold it when number two was born. Used canoes, inflateables and a portabote until they were in junior high. Now the wife and I kayak five or six times more than we use our current boat, a dual console that we have had since buying it new in 1999.

#24 ajkatt

ajkatt

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 114 posts

Posted April 05 2016 - 05:43 PM

Your buddy's boat is the boat to have

My current situation. 20' trophy.

I want a Robalo 24' center console.
  • TERRY P likes this

#25 Pat M

Pat M

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,085 posts
  • LocationBay Shore

Posted April 05 2016 - 05:44 PM

I just picked up a very well maintained 17 foot parker for fishing, but now that my daughters always come with me I am looking for a 21 to 23 foot walkaround with a trailer. I like to be able to fish both shores and Montauk. I had a bow rider for 25 years when the girls were young and they showed little interest in fishing, now they love it, go figure.

I've fished the rips a mile or so north-east of the Montauk lighthouse, at 11:00pm, in a single engine 20-ft Hydra Sport. That was a scary experience. I'd opt for at least 23' for Montauk fishing.
  • C6NY likes this

#26 VtwinHP

VtwinHP

Respected Gunowner

• 172 posts

Posted April 05 2016 - 05:51 PM

My Grady 226 does the Gut, Race, Montauk and the rest flawlessy.

#27 Dan 0351

Dan 0351

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 7,805 posts

Posted April 05 2016 - 06:05 PM

When I lived on the water (canal), I had a 19' Grady White Dual-Console (Dolphin?). I ran that thing the whole south shore and me and my Golden would be out almost every nice day. LOVED that boat. I thought I wanted to move up and got a 23' Winner, walk-around, had it for years. NEVER used the cabin and used the boat less and less.

That Grady is still running the south shore lookin' and running better than ever under my childhood friend's care. Still has my Golden's name, "Logan's Run", on her stern.

#28 Pat M

Pat M

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,085 posts
  • LocationBay Shore

Posted April 05 2016 - 06:46 PM

If I did not have three girls who will eventually need college tuition, I would be in the market for a nice boat. We run to Kismet on the weekends and fish whenever possible. My 1972 Whaler, which cost me $3500 in 1994, will have to do.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• TERRY P, li02liberty and ajkatt like this

#29 Fastphil

Fastphil

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted April 05 2016 - 06:50 PM

A Grady will last forever. Heres my third generation Grady purchased in 1968 by my grandfather. First year they made fiberglass .
Pic is when new but it's still in good shape
  • Pat M, MetalHead and Rrudo74901 like this

#30 Rrudo74901

Rrudo74901

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • LocationInside the Iron Curtain

Posted April 05 2016 - 07:16 PM

I've been on boats for 25 years but a 47 is a bit too much for me. 33 might be the biggest as I want to run a towable as well with the kids.

You can use a towable with my boat, lol. Figured I'd take a shot.
good luck, lots of nice options out there.
pursuit is made by Tiara now, they bought all the company years ago. Good solid boat.
Don't discount Proline as a less expensive alternative.
Jupiter and Intrepid will build just about anything you want, very high quality center consoles.
Yellowfin and Sailfish (owned by Yamaha) are also good solid boats.
The 26'-30' market is the hottest range for boats.

#31 Kamakazi118

Kamakazi118

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 276 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted April 05 2016 - 07:25 PM

Grady, Parker, Wellcraft, Sportcraft, Seaswirl...... just the brands I like to stick to personally. Grady has the reputation because they last forever. In the 27' range I would go with a Walkaround. I only wanted to look at CC's when I first started looking, but I ended up going with a walkaround, now im on my second walkaround and love it. Having a head, and space for you or someone to get out of the sun or nap for a few is a huge amenity. As with firearms, just look at as many as you can and water test as many as you can. I think I looked at close to 20 before finally settling on one.

#32 MetalHead

MetalHead

Giraffe Hunter

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 3,768 posts
  • Locationfarmingdale

Posted April 05 2016 - 07:43 PM

I've been on boats for 25 years but a 47 is a bit too much for me. 33 might be the biggest as I want to run a towable as well with the kids.

What kind of truck do you have that 33' is towable?

Anyway, Grady, persuit or Parkers have a great reputation and are commonly available with outboards.
Parker has an enclosed cockpit and big deck space with minimalist cabin quarters. More of a fishermans boat IMO.
The Grady and persuits I've seen sacrifice a little deck space for a few comforts of home. Nicer bathrooms and gallys, creative use of storage areas and sleeker designs and cuves.

Whatever draws your attention, spend the money and have it inspected by a professional. They can find potential transom rot, bad fittings and electrical issues the seller may not have even been aware of. It could save you big money in the long run or even just a simple bargaining chip at the negotiation table or peace of mind.

I've Been enjoying an 84 seafarer for the past 12 years btw. My only gripe is the walk around is pointless. It costs cabin space and really isn't all that that convenient to get to the bow. I'd rather climb up through a hatch in the front than walk around the side on open water and regain the cabin space it takes up. On a boat, a foot more left and right may as well be a mile.

• class3 likes this

#33 class3

class3

Gun Guru

• 3,554 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 05 2016 - 10:18 PM

What kind of truck do you have that 33' is towable?

Behind the boat, not the car!
  • MetalHead and Rrudo74901 like this

#34 NYG60

NYG60

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 491 posts
  • LocationSmith Point

Posted April 05 2016 - 10:27 PM

I do all of Montauk to Block, back to Moriches and out to the Coimbra (on select days) in my 23 Parker. Full transom, bracketed 200, deep vee hull. I fish at night 65% of the time in the rips, and outside Shinny and Moriches.

Posted Image
  • Pat M, C6NY, Huntington Guy and 2 others like this

#35 Dan 0351

Dan 0351

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 7,805 posts

Posted April 05 2016 - 10:35 PM

I do all of Montauk to Block, back to Moriches and out to the Coimbra (on select days) in my 23 Parker. Full transom, bracketed 200, deep vee hull. I fish at night 65% of the time in the rips, and outside Shinny and Moriches.

Posted Image

GORGEOUS. I'd be thrilled to have something like that. Nothing more.
  • NYG60 likes this

#36 etl330

etl330

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 120 posts
  • LocationLI

Posted April 06 2016 - 01:47 PM

Pursuit not a bad choice but some of their hulls can be a little wet. Regulator is a nice choice if you're looking for a center console or can find an elusive 30' express they made for a few years. Albemarle has started making 25,27, and 29 outboard expresses which are sure to be great boats now that they've merged with Carolina Classic. Also if you're considering a Center Console SeaVee is worth a look. They don't have as strong a brand as Regulator so you can find some better deals on them

Edit: oh and I forgot Everglades. They're tied to the Dougherty family who were involved Boston Whalers' hay day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Sig likes this

#37 airbrushart

airbrushart

airbrushart

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 5,514 posts
  • Locationspace the final frontier

Posted April 06 2016 - 02:08 PM

Back around 2000 we had a 1997 Caravelle 23' in/out with a 350 chevy, used Bayville marina great boat for the sound, if we were to do it again I think I would go with an outboard. 23' for the sound is plenty big for fishing.

#38 class3

class3

Gun Guru

• 3,554 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 06 2016 - 02:24 PM

What's a good minimum to think about to go through Hells Gate and into the East River? 27' should be fine?

#39 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted April 06 2016 - 03:56 PM

I've been running boats for 30+ years mainly on the north shore but a fair amount on the eastern points too. If you want a soft ride in head seas you need a deep"V". 24 degrees of deadrise is about what I consider a deep "V". Regulator, Seacraft, Yellowfin, Intrepid are all true deep "V"s. I run a 30' Grady now & I don't consider it to be a true deep "V". The ride is OK but my buddy's 23' Seacraft will take on anything that this Grady can.

Like was said before, all boats are compromises. Deep "V"s tend to roll more in beam seas whereas a flatter hull will be more stable.

Do yourself a major favor & test drive a few in varying conditions prior to committing to purchase.

#40 Undrwtr1

Undrwtr1

Respected Gunowner

• Club LIF Member

• 292 posts
  • LocationNassau County, NY

Posted April 06 2016 - 03:57 PM

I had a 2005 Seaswirl 22' dual console for 10 years and docked it in Glen Cove marina the whole time. I regularly went through Hell's Gate and around Manhattan with friends and family - boat was just fine. I have even done it in a 14' runabout (when I was young and stupid). Only concern is the ferry traffic and wakes they kick up. If you pay attention, that size is sufficient. If you have the dough, Grady Freedom series dual consoles are the bomb - fish, play - perfect sound boat.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boat, guys, what

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users