Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Bottom Paint Remover

bottom paint remover

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kamakazi118

Kamakazi118

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 276 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 31 2016 - 10:58 AM

Lower units are services, new water pumps installed, hydraulic steering serviced, last step before throwing her in the water for the season is new bottom paint. After a ton of research and weighing out my options, I've decided I want to strip the old bottom paint myself using a bio-safe stripper. They have good reviews, but I do trust the LIF community and would like some first hand feed back if anyone has used any of the Bio-safe bottom paint strippers. At this point I've narrowed it down to either Aqua-Strip or Dumond Peel-Away. Tips, Advice, Experience, Good, Bad, Ugly? Thank you in advance. . . Oh, and I'm talking about a boat if that wasn't clear haha.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 lichris

lichris

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,905 posts
  • LocationStuck in a liberal hell hole.

Posted March 31 2016 - 11:04 AM

What size boat? It might be more cost effective (both money and time) to have someone blast it with walnut shells and then repaint it.
  • NRATC53, raceradam and lastdollar like this

#3 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 10,524 posts

Posted March 31 2016 - 01:17 PM

3 in 1.jpg

This is how we do the 26'... works every time.
  • Mad Russian and MetalHead like this

#4 MetalHead

MetalHead

Giraffe Hunter

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 3,768 posts
  • Locationfarmingdale

Posted March 31 2016 - 01:21 PM

Why not just use a scraper, remove all the loose stuff, thin out some fresh bottom paint and apply. No need to make more work for yourself, Boats are very good at doing it on their own.
  • FULL METAL JACKET likes this

#5 Kamakazi118

Kamakazi118

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 276 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 31 2016 - 01:22 PM

What size boat? It might be more cost effective (both money and time) to have someone blast it with walnut shells and then repaint it.

26', 28' with the gil bracket for the outboards - I looked into soda blasting, I don't want to spend $500 or better when I can get a 5 gallon pail of stripper for $150.... I also just prefer the satisfaction of doing things myself.

#6 Kamakazi118

Kamakazi118

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 276 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 31 2016 - 01:25 PM

Why not just use a scraper, remove all the loose stuff, thin out some fresh bottom paint and apply. No need to make more work for yourself, Boats are very good at doing it on their own.

Probably going to try this route first and if I get frustrated or a case of OCD i'll grab some peel away

#7 Kamakazi118

Kamakazi118

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 276 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 31 2016 - 01:27 PM

3 in 1.jpg

This is how we do the 26'... works every time.

It's amazing how many uses this tool has haha, I've gotten creative a few times and it's gotten me out of a few jams. I have 2 ready to go for next weekend
  • Parashooter likes this

#8 airbrushart

airbrushart

airbrushart

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,514 posts
  • Locationspace the final frontier

Posted March 31 2016 - 03:05 PM

Better choice is Dustless paint removal dustlesspaintremoval.com

#9 Fastphil

Fastphil

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted March 31 2016 - 03:32 PM

Running up on sandbars always worked for me.
Seriously though if you can get somebody to do it for $500 I would jump on it . To save $350 I'm not sure your aware of the work or health risk involved
  • FULL METAL JACKET likes this

#10 BUGZ

BUGZ

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 414 posts
  • LocationNation Wide

Posted March 31 2016 - 04:07 PM

I did my 34 FT once never never do it again sold that sucker I would have it done if I had to do again.

#11 lichris

lichris

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 3,905 posts
  • LocationStuck in a liberal hell hole.

Posted March 31 2016 - 04:16 PM

My suggestion having done it every way possible on boats ranging from 15-25 feet is to spend the $500 and have it blasted, inspect for any blisters and paint with multiple coats of a multi season ablative paint. When you pull the boat out in the fall, power wash it and reapply a coat of ablative paint in the spring.
  • pitbull428, 38 sup and Kamakazi118 like this

#12 Kamakazi118

Kamakazi118

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 276 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 31 2016 - 04:21 PM

Running up on sandbars always worked for me.
Seriously though if you can get somebody to do it for $500 I would jump on it . To save $350 I'm not sure your aware of the work or health risk involved

Haha, I've waged well thus far against the sandbars. Looking like closer to $1,000 after the few phone calls I just made. might be changing up my game plan now

#13 Paté

Paté

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 38,956 posts

Posted March 31 2016 - 04:48 PM

Automatic message - This topic has been moved from Chit-Chat to Fishing - Open Discussions

#14 DrBrianDDS

DrBrianDDS

Dentist

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Club LIF Member, Donated Member

• 473 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted March 31 2016 - 07:27 PM

What's on there now?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bottom, paint, remover

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users