Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Painted wheels, who's had it done?

painted wheels whos had it done

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 gopedxr7

gopedxr7

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 29 2016 - 12:09 AM

Really would like to lift my dads 2005 trailblazer one day. Pretty jealous now. What lift kit did you get?

But I painted my tracker rims after giving it a 1" lift. Wire wheeled the steel wheels put a coat of primer, 3 coats of black and 2 coats of clear and it came out great for a Vehicle for the hunting property lol

Attached File  image.jpeg   133.51KB   3 downloads

Edited by gopedxr7, March 29 2016 - 12:10 AM.

# Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Topic Starter

Posted A minute ago

#22 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2,337 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted March 29 2016 - 04:54 AM

BDS Suspension; I've wanted to install their lift for the past 8 years and finally did it. Their lift was the only one that didn't alter the front suspensions geometry on such a limited platform.
Any tire size increase will require wheel spacers or offset wheels due to the clearance with the upper ball joint; I currently have 265/65R17's with 1.5" spacers. With the lift, I'm looking to max out at 255/75R17's (32's).

Does anyone know how the wheels are finished from the factory? Is it simply body paint with a clear coat, it are they prefer coated (just curious)?

Attached Files

Edited by mrprovy, March 29 2016 - 05:02 AM.

• gopedxr7 likes this

#23 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,337 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted March 31 2016 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for the info. After reviewing all the options, I just ordered a set of wheels/tires at a significant savings over powder coating/painting mine... Plus, no down time. I'll post up some pics once I get them on, probably next weekend.

Next step will be a beach permit :)
  • gopedxr7 likes this

#24 EldoEsq

EldoEsq

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member
  • 377 posts
  • LocationEastern Nassau

Posted April 01 2016 - 07:00 AM

One word...PLASTIDIP.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#25 1895guy

1895guy

shots fired

• Donated Member
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 2,350 posts
  • Locationport jeff

Posted April 01 2016 - 07:57 AM

BDS Suspension; I've wanted to install their lift for the past 8 years and finally did it. Their lift was the only one that didn't alter the front suspensions geometry on such a limited platform.
Any tire size increase will require wheel spacers or offset wheels due to the clearance with the upper ball joint; I currently have 265/65R17's with 1.5" spacers. With the lift, I'm looking to max out at 255/75R17's (32's).

Does anyone know how the wheels are finished from the factory? Is it simply body paint with a clear coat, it are they prefer coated (just curious)?

Nice looking truck... i was going to do the same to my tb before i sold it for my pickup. The factory wheels are machined and clear coated. In short... THEY SUCK. The finish on mine started to bubble after a couple years. My silverado has the same thing. So that brings me to my first opinion

Try plastidip first. Its cheap (no more than $100) and you can do any color your heart desires. Its a good test to see if you want to spend more and do the permanent thing. I plastidip my wheels every winter to protect the finish. First year it was black, then anthracite grey.

If you are looking to go permanent right away i second the Centereach auto parts comment. I used them for the CSL wheels on my bmw and they came out amazing.... ill try to find some pics

#26 1895guy

1895guy

shots fired

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 2,350 posts
  • Locationport jeff

Posted April 01 2016 - 08:03 AM

for the nostalgia.... tbee just before i sold it (black plastidipped wheels)
Attached File  trailblazer.png   565.7KB   2 downloads

Then the BMW before (how i bought the wheels)
Attached File  bmwwheel4.jpg   104.72KB   3 downloads
Attached File  bmwwheel2.png   537.71KB   3 downloads

and after i had them done at Centereach
Attached File  bmwwheel.png   567.88KB   3 downloads
Attached File  bmwwheel3.jpg   124.18KB   2 downloads

#27 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,337 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted April 01 2016 - 03:05 PM

For $95/wheel, I ordered these figuring I'm not going to be able to get mine PC'd that cheap

Attached Files

#28 Ddarko0

Ddarko0

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 321 posts
  • Locationsuffolk

Posted April 02 2016 - 04:58 PM

Glad I opened this thread! Nice truck. I too have a trailblazer and it's sad the after market for them is limited. Such amazing vehicles. I forget but I put the biggest tires I could fit without spaces or a lift and plasti dipped wheels.

Although I would love to get spacers , mud tires and a lift eventually. But my stock wheels are plasti dipped and looks good. But would look MUCH better if the tires were more aggressive looking and spaced out

#29 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,337 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted April 02 2016 - 05:42 PM

With just the 1.5" spacers, you could go up to 265/65R17's, that's what I have now... Keep your plasti dipped wheels. If it wasn't for the fact that the only car wash my truck has ever been to ruined the finish on my wheels (didn't realize it for months) by not rinsing the wheel cleaner from the caps, I would still be running them (I like them a lot).

I would highly recommend these wheel spacers; they are the ones I am using and are highly recommended by guys that pound their trucks of road, just stick with hub-centric's using the same bolt pattern (no change).

http://www.wheeladapter.com
  • Barnslayer likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: painted, wheels, whos, had, it, done

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users