Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Painted wheels, who's had it done?

painted wheels whos had it done

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,337 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted March 28 2016 - 06:10 PM

I just installed a lift on my'06 Trailblazer and am strongly considering having the wheels painted before upsizing the tires (again). They are factory wheels that I love, and if I do paint, I'd like to go black leaving the grey accents.

Who's had their wheels painted? How did they come out? How have they held up? And, where did you get it done?

Not looking to get it done for a few months, but want to start weighing my options ahead of time. Thanks

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 ron pablo

ron pablo

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 102 posts
  • Locationronkonkoma

Posted March 28 2016 - 06:30 PM

My shop has used Centereach auto parts for powder coating and painting rims with good results
  • VolkoSupply and 1895guy like this

#3 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,337 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted March 28 2016 - 06:34 PM

Good to know, great guys over there... I haven't been there in years

#4 Paté

Paté

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 38,956 posts

Posted March 28 2016 - 06:37 PM

Power coating may be a more permanent solution.
  • Parashooter and Yaphank Kid like this

#5 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1,805 posts

Posted March 28 2016 - 06:41 PM

A guy I work with did that plastidip thing on his Jeep rims. Looked good. Not my cup of tea because I know it won't last. But it looked nice.
  • OH UNCLE PAUL likes this

#6 only7rounds

only7rounds

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 286 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 28 2016 - 06:47 PM

Try Wheel Fix It in Freeport

#7 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,337 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted March 28 2016 - 06:47 PM

I'm looking more permanent, something that's going to last 10+years.
  • 100MPG likes this

#8 01TA

01TA

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 121 posts

Posted March 28 2016 - 06:48 PM

I know it's not wheels but I used Elite Powdercoating in plain view to do my 12bolt moser housing. Came out great. They do a ton of wheels though and have been in business for some time.

#9 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7,899 posts

Posted March 28 2016 - 06:58 PM

Then don't paint. It will look terrible in 2-3 years. Powder coating is the way to go for the long run. My Vette wheels are coated and have had them on the car for 7-8 years now and they look like the day I got them. Granted it's not driven in the snow but sees warm days in the winter with much salt and sand on the road and has even been to Calverton a few times.

#10 disturbed0013

disturbed0013

Gun Guru

• Banned
  • 4,123 posts

Posted March 28 2016 - 07:03 PM

http://www.colorlifepowdercoatings.com

#11 Paté

Paté

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 38,956 posts

Posted March 28 2016 - 07:10 PM

These guys do good work. http://4chrome.com

#12 PlumberGus

PlumberGus

Sockdolager

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , Donated Member

• 844 posts
  • LocationLon-Guy-Land

Posted March 28 2016 - 07:29 PM

Steel or aluminum? Steel you can powder coat cheap and easy. Aluminum not so much. It can be done, but be careful and ask questions. The baking process can cause problems with the strength of most cast and even some forged aluminum wheels. Do some research before you jump into it.
Just do some good clean up and then plasti-dip them any color you want. Super cheap, easy, can be touched up endlessly and you can peel it off and change it up anytime you want.
  • VolkoSupply likes this

#13 100MPG

100MPG

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Donated Member

• 4,780 posts
  • LocationLong Giland

Posted March 28 2016 - 07:44 PM

I am going to be getting a new truck and will be getting new wheels and tires for the winter, stock sizes, but the best winter tires I can get. I do that now and switching wheels is the way to go.
I want to get steel wheels for the weight and salty roads but in BLACK for the no nonsense attitude of winter driving. lol and it looks good.

#14 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 10,399 posts

Posted March 28 2016 - 07:49 PM

Powdercoat - this is the way to go... I had the centers of a set of wheels done, place in Farmingdale off Allen blvd... about $85 per wheel to strip and refinish them.

As for the heat affecting them??? never heard of a problem, they get baked at like 350-400... not enough to affect strength.
  • C6NY likes this

#15 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 19,180 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted March 28 2016 - 08:05 PM

A guy I work with did that plastidip thing on his Jeep rims. Looked good. Not my cup of tea because I know it won't last. But it looked nice.

My son used plastidip on his wheels four years ago and they still look good. I suggest using plastidip and see what they look like. If you like what you see you can go to a more permanent solution.
  • OH UNCLE PAUL likes this

#16 carguy110

carguy110

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 2,712 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted March 28 2016 - 08:08 PM

Look at a set of new wheels and tires. Once you factor in the cost of removing the tires, powder coating, and remounting and balancing the tires, you could of just got a new set of wheels and tires from TireRack for the same price.
  • MetalHead likes this

#17 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7,899 posts

Posted March 28 2016 - 08:13 PM

My Corvette has very low profile run flats on the powder coated aluminum wheels. I've hit our world famous NY potholes enough times to jar fillings loose and even blew out two tires, the wheels are fine. As Para says, don't worry about the heat affecting the wheels strength, it's just not so.

#18 OH UNCLE PAUL

OH UNCLE PAUL

Banned

• Banned
  • 17,343 posts

Posted March 28 2016 - 08:20 PM

My son used plastidip on his wheels four years ago and they still look good. I suggest using plastidip and see what they look like. If you like what you see you can go to a more permanent solution.

Plastidip for the win. Looks good, easy to apply, comes in many colors. If you don't like it, peels right off. It's almost like a cheap reset button without a big investment.

#19 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 10,399 posts

Posted March 28 2016 - 09:15 PM

Plastidip for the win. Looks good, easy to apply, comes in many colors. If you don't like it, peels right off. It's almost like a cheap reset button without a big investment.

It is also the current fad.... other than the crayola colors you see on otherwise stock hondas it's not a very bad thing... easy to touch-up if you do get a scrape. downside is the stuff scrapes off easy, but on wheels they shouldn't be getting touched anyway - it's also an upside if you want to undo it.

Only catch is you gotta want a flat finish.... There are "glossifiers" but I haven't seen any done with it so can't say how it looks.

It really is a "why not" thing to try - you can tape/mask out your spokes etc. too and play until you find what you like.

#20 PlumberGus

PlumberGus

Sockdolager

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , Donated Member

• 844 posts
  • LocationLon-Guy-Land

Posted March 28 2016 - 10:05 PM

I'm not saying it will be an issue, but check what kind of material your wheels are made from and look them up in ASM reference. That will give you an idea of the temp and times required to properly age the alloy. Any over temp can and will change the strength.

Example 6061-t6 forged wheels would be aged at 350 set for 8 hours. So if you bake them at 350 again for an hour the strength or brittleness probably would be fine. If they go to 400 for an hour. Yes you can impact the wheels integrity.

I'm not saying this is going to happen, but just to know going into it that there are so many different alloys and they all age differently.
I tried to not make that sound like captain thrill.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: painted, wheels, whos, had, it, done

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users