Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Camper Help

camper help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,827 posts

Posted March 24 2016 - 07:46 AM

My girlfriend has a camper on her horse property, and as we get ready to move into my place, we want to get it ready to use as an office/break area for her. The camper was lived in for over 6 months by a hired hand, a little over a year ago. To my knowledge, it was winterized. To my knowledge, it does have its own septic tank. It does have electric, but I think it is rigged from the garage as opposed to having it's own 30 amp circuit from the house, which I guess we will remedy. There is a frost free water hydrant right outside, but I am not sure about whether it had full time water before. The wooden blocks under the jacks seem to have been knocked out of place, so it needs to be leveled. I do not really know anything about campers, their maintenance, how they work, and how you keep them working.

I am looking for someone with the proper expertise to come by and go over everything with me, showing me what to do and how to do it as well, for future reference. If there is a company that does this, I am more than willing to pay. If a fellow member wants to lend his expertise, even better.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 LongIsland Guy

LongIsland Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,329 posts
  • LocationLake Ronk

Posted March 24 2016 - 07:52 AM

Check out Long Island Campers Forum for advice and help....you may recognize the moderator

Edited by LongIsland Guy, March 24 2016 - 07:54 AM.

• RetLtMedic likes this

#3 Steve936

Steve936

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 297 posts

Posted March 24 2016 - 08:04 AM

I've owned some sort of camper my whole adult life.

It sounds like the unit has been set up to be stationary. Are you looking to leave it stationary or make it moveable again?

Where is the property located? How old is the unit?

I might be able to give you a limited, basic overview of RV systems and how things work.

#4 100MPG

100MPG

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Others: Donated Member

• 4,780 posts
  • LocationLong Giland

Posted March 24 2016 - 08:23 AM

My girlfriend has a camper on her horse property, and as we get ready to move into my place, we want to get it ready to use as an office/break area for her. The camper was lived in for over 6 months by a hired hand, a little over a year ago. To my knowledge, it was winterized. To my knowledge, it does have its own septic tank. It does have electric, but I think it is rigged from the garage as opposed to having it's own 30 amp circuit from the house, which I guess we will remedy. There is a frost free water hydrant right outside, but I am not sure about whether it had full time water before. The wooden blocks under the jacks seem to have been knocked out of place, so it needs to be leveled. I do not really know anything about campers, their maintenance, how they work, and how you keep them working.

I am looking for someone with the proper expertise to come by and go over everything with me, showing me what to do and how to do it as well, for future reference. If there is a company that does this, I am more than willing to pay. If a fellow member wants to lend his expertise, even better.

where is her place? Long Island?
Just think of a camper as a cheap, crappy house. Thin cheap walls, cheap plumbing, cheap electric, cheap furniture, cheap windows. With that in mind, anything you do to it will make it better.
I can help you, just let me know where i is.

Edited by 100MPG, March 24 2016 - 08:47 AM.

#5 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,827 posts

Posted March 24 2016 - 02:39 PM

Camper is in Bohemia. Yes it is stationary, and intended to be so. It's a 2002 model year.

#6 VietVet

VietVet

101ST AIRBORNE

• Established Member
  • 4,453 posts

Posted March 25 2016 - 12:11 PM

If a Camper is "Winterized" special antifreeze should have been put in the water lines after the water was drained to prevent the lines from freezing. Not sure of you set up but it sounds as if someone was living in it during the winter. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I can't imagine having those water lines full of water through the winter without damage.

I've had a camper for 8 years now and always had to winterize it.
You also mention it has its own septic tank.
Internal or external?

Maybe a few photos would help.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camper, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users