Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Help - I'm looking for a good back pack

help im looking for good back pack

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,827 posts

Posted March 23 2016 - 04:16 PM

I have an EMS branded pack I have had for at least 10 years now, and no sign of wearing out. I use it as my carry-on while traveling, day hiking, weekend getaways, camping, fishing, just about everything. REI also has some great stuff.
  • Tonto likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#42 PeepSight

PeepSight

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 15,402 posts

Posted March 23 2016 - 04:23 PM

Wenger/Victorinox packs have done well for my kids. Lots of pockets and well built. Problem is that packs are like sneakers for kids - they always want a newer style!
  • Tonto likes this

#43 disturbed0013

disturbed0013

Gun Guru

• Banned
  • 4,123 posts

Posted March 23 2016 - 04:44 PM

http://www.lapoliceg...r-backpack.html
  • Tonto likes this

#44 Duke

Duke

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 341 posts

Posted March 23 2016 - 04:58 PM

Updating my post regarding my 2 year old Maxpedition Condor II.
Customer service said they would replace the broken zipper at my cost and warned it could be expensive.
They said the lifetime warrantee does not cover zipper tracks or hardware. I'm thinking of replacing the pack with a
different brand. Disappointed.
Here's a shot of the damage. It's about an inch of zipper on one side.
Posted Image

Customer service said they would replace the broken zipper at my cost and warned it could be expensive.
They said the lifetime warrantee does not cover zipper tracks or hardware. I'm thinking of replacing the pack with a
Posted Image

Take the bag to a shoe repair shop- they should be able to fix it like new.

#45 Barnslayer

Barnslayer

Banned

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPort Washington

Posted March 23 2016 - 05:51 PM

I don't doubt Maxpedition can fix it. I just don't think it's worth the trouble. And don't care for them excluding the most critical part of the pack from their lifetime warrantee.
I can't remember the last time I had a shoe repair place do anything. And what I do remember was they didn't do a good job.

#46 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,095 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted March 23 2016 - 05:53 PM

LL BEAN? Might as well eat quiche.

You know many yuppified companies like LL Bean and Abercrombie started out as serious outfitters. I've hit the Bean store in Maine on my way to Acadia Nat. Park many times and they still have some nice old school serious gear. Plus a tough kid secure in his masculinity could reclaim the Bean brand back from the yuppie kids :P

Still love my Camelbak with the 4L bladder and would take it over anything, including Maxpedition (though I have a Maxpedition wallet LOL). Know a few good dudes rocking those in Afghanistan. But really we're talking about a backpack for school, so budget and realistic usage are parameters.

camelbak1.jpg

Edited by Destro, March 23 2016 - 05:54 PM.

• Tonto likes this

#47 PandM

PandM

moved to greener pastures

• Club LIF Member
  • 10,857 posts

Posted March 23 2016 - 05:56 PM

I picked up a 5.11 at South Shore about two years ago. To be honest I don't use it much but it's held up to being overstuffed and treated like it owes me money and is still going strong.
  • Tonto and gcloss like this

#48 Duke

Duke

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 341 posts

Posted March 23 2016 - 06:07 PM

I don't doubt Maxpedition can fix it. I just don't think it's worth the trouble. And don't care for them excluding the most critical part of the pack from their lifetime warrantee.
I can't remember the last time I had a shoe repair place do anything. And what I do remember was they didn't do a good job.

A shoe repair, seamstress or leather shop that repairs handbags should easily be able to replace a zipper. It's worth a shot because I'm sure you paid a lot for the bag.

#49 bberetta1

bberetta1

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3,123 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 23 2016 - 06:38 PM

+1 on 5.11 gear.
Built well and looks like new after several years of use.
  • Tonto and gcloss like this

#50 gcloss

gcloss

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 665 posts
  • LocationWherever my RV is parked

Posted March 23 2016 - 07:15 PM

I bought a 5.11 Rush 24 at South Shore about 3 years ago for my daily commute to NYC via the LIRR and subway. I also do a bit of traveling for work and use it to carry my MacBook Pro dragging it all over the country. It's starting to get a little dirty, but it is holding better than any other backpack I ever had. When the weather gets a little warmer I'm going to take it outside and scrub it with soap, water and let ti dry in the sun.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160323_200500.jpg

• Tonto, Barnslayer and bberetta1 like this

#51 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 10,403 posts

Posted March 23 2016 - 08:50 PM

Posted Image

My shoe guy got $60 to replace a zipper in a jacket.... That's probably less work than getting a double-pull zipper lined up in a U-shaped opening....

What I would do is get the lower pull up past the damage, and then stitch it shut at that point - you lose an inch of opening, Big deal - and you should have a needle & thread at home & it's free.

What I've found causes that is pulling it open without fully UNzipping, where the opening is trying to force the slider along.
  • Barnslayer likes this

#52 Steveweck

Steveweck

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • 345 posts

Posted March 23 2016 - 09:14 PM

OGIO

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, im, looking, for, good, back, pack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users