Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Help - I'm looking for a good back pack

help im looking for good back pack

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Tonto

Tonto

Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?

• Club LIF Member
  • 11,586 posts
  • LocationBeen there, done that

Posted March 22 2016 - 10:13 AM

I'm looking for a good back pack for my son. It's for carrying his books to & from school. He's in 8th grade.

The last pack I got him was this: http://www.voodootac...le-webbing.aspx

It lasted less than 35 days of use. :(
Both zippers on the main compartment have come off of one of the tracks. On the next outer compartment, 1 zipper has also come off a track.

Any ideas on a good pack that can last a little longer?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 cu455

cu455

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,751 posts

Posted March 22 2016 - 10:21 AM

Send the bag back voodoo might fix it for you. I like buying The North Face or Jansport. They are very well made and if any zippers break or the bag rips they guarantee their products for life. I am pretty sure REI has a lifetime warranty on all their products.

Edit: There are a few bags in the REI outlet, which is their discounted section and they have a coupon code on the homepage for 20% off.

https://www.rei.com/...ank=rank_outlet
  • Tonto likes this

#3 Rendar

Rendar

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 906 posts

Posted March 22 2016 - 10:24 AM

5.11 Tactical COVRT18. I just got one for work. (I work in a school).

Thing will last for years. Buy once, cry once.

http://www.511tactic...8-backpack.html
  • Lostinthewoods, NRATC53, Tonto and 1 other like this

#4 Beaker

Beaker

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 505 posts
  • LocationWorking in the pits of hell!

Posted March 22 2016 - 10:25 AM

We've been buying LLBean for my kids (they're now in 4th grade). If they rip, they are replaced. If they outgrow them, you can get good $ for them on Ebay. There are also customization (initials) options too.
  • NRATC53, PeepSight, Tonto and 2 others like this

#5 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,095 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted March 22 2016 - 10:25 AM

Hate voodoo tactical bags for heavy use. Had many bags by them bust at the seams and zippers rip, they are style over substance. I only use Camelbak now for hiking/bob (Maxpedition is good too), but that might be too expensive for a school bag but will last a lifetime (maybe a smaller model without the bladder with the right discount).

I agree with above that regular Jansport backpacks or LL bean backpacks are pretty decent (owned both as well, no split seams or busted zippers, but depends on the load, those books add up) maybe look into their lines. Good luck.

Camelbak BFM

camelbak2.jpg

camelbak1.jpg

edit: bought this LL Bean pack in Maine over a decade ago. Good value, would work great as a school pack if you don't load it up with college sized books (don't know what the kids carry these days). A classic HS/college pack.

llbean.jpg

Edited by Destro, March 22 2016 - 10:46 AM.

• Tonto likes this

#6 COLLECTINGHEADS

COLLECTINGHEADS

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member
  • 450 posts

Posted March 22 2016 - 10:26 AM

www.maxpedition.com maybe overkill but there stuff is really nice and lasts a long time.
  • Tonto likes this

#7 safety42

safety42

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 657 posts

Posted March 22 2016 - 10:40 AM

LL Bean makes great packs for school, and as said before they have a great return policy if the bag is damaged. When my kids were in school I always got the LL Bean bags. They will even embroider the kids initials on it (for a fee)
  • Tonto and Destro like this

#8 BIGROB

BIGROB

Banned

• Banned
  • Others:
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 22 2016 - 10:49 AM

Oakley makes some good back packs too.
  • Tonto, Yaphank Kid and Diesel1 like this

#9 trapshooterbob

trapshooterbob

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 4,370 posts
  • LocationBohemia, NY

Posted March 22 2016 - 11:12 AM

I have a relative who swears by (not at) Blackhawk. He beats it up pretty well. Uses it for work. Loves it! He actually had the same backpack when he was deployed in Afghanistan

http://tacticalgear....backpacks?bid=6
  • Tonto likes this

#10 DML2012

DML2012

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 105 posts

Posted March 22 2016 - 11:13 AM

I have a high Sierra backpack I have been using for years at work it gets thrown in and out of a car everyday.I have been very impressed with its durability and it didn't cost a lot either.
  • Tonto likes this

#11 Tonto

Tonto

Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?

• Club LIF Member
  • 11,586 posts
  • LocationBeen there, done that

Posted March 22 2016 - 11:23 AM

Send the bag back voodoo might fix it for you.

The bag is supposed to have a lifetime guarantee. I bought it from Amazon, but after 30 days, you're supposed to call VooDoo Tactical. I called them today & they said they only sell them, not manufacture & I would have to contact the manufacturer & also that I should call Amazon. I called Amazon, told them what happened & what Voodoo told me. Amazon then sent me a prepaid label to send it back for a refund.

I'm going to go take a look at the recommendations.

Thanks guys!
  • NRATC53 likes this

#12 BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER

Banned (in NY)

• Established Member
  • 678 posts
  • LocationUndisclosed Location

Posted March 22 2016 - 11:33 AM

I've had a gray jansport backpack since 10th grade (16 years ago) it's been around the world with me. Lifetime warranty. Recently developed a small tear in the strap, I sent it in, they made it perfect again and sent it back to me. I'll have that backpack forever.
  • Tonto likes this

#13 Lostinthewoods

Lostinthewoods

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 756 posts

Posted March 22 2016 - 11:45 AM

The voodoo stuff is of mediocre quality at best. My 13 commandeered a 5.11 Rush 24 from me three years ago. It still looks new and has some good organization. There's also room for a plate if you should choose to add one. ; )
  • Tonto and Barnslayer like this

#14 Diesel1

Diesel1

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted March 22 2016 - 02:23 PM

Another for Oakley. Awesome customer service if you ever need it. I am an Oakley whoaaaa. If you don't find what you want on their regular site, then go to the oakleysi site.

This may work for your son.

http://www.oakleysi..../p/888896200694

Or this one if he needs bigger.
http://www.oakleysi..../p/888896203138

Si won't provide pricing unless you are a federal employee, armed services, or first responder. If anyone in your family qualifies, have them register. The pricing is ridiculously good on si stuff. I know their glasses through si (limited selections) is usually 40-50% off the same pair on the main site.

Their products are fantastic, well made, durable, etc. I've had a back pack from them for about 20 years now (never used it daily, but it's well made.) had an issue with my original after the warranty expired.....a cinch strap wouldn't cinch ....they replaced with a new bag immediately, no bs, no crying, and it was out of warranty. They are a fantastic company.

• Tonto and Huntington Guy like this

#15 Sgt Squid

Sgt Squid

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 2,064 posts
  • LocationHolbrook

Posted March 22 2016 - 02:47 PM

Swiss gear, back and forth on lirr for almost five years daily and still going.
  • Tonto likes this

#16 Barnslayer

Barnslayer

Banned

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPort Washington

Posted March 22 2016 - 02:50 PM

I'll let you know soon about Maxpedition. My EDC commute pack for the last two years is a Condor II. Last month a section of the main zipper began to fail. Now I can't close it all the way without it getting jammed. Other than that the bag is like a tank. Never got any rain soaking through even without a pack cover.
  • Tonto likes this

#17 psydaddy

psydaddy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 4,516 posts
  • LocationCommack

Posted March 22 2016 - 02:57 PM

I've had a Jansport leather bottom backpack for almost 40 years!
Granted, it's not used every day, but it's a sturdy, plain-jane, no frills pack that doesn't cost much, and isn't made of rip-stop.
  • Tonto likes this

#18 SteveT

SteveT

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 483 posts
  • LocationBrookhaven

Posted March 22 2016 - 03:43 PM

nice thread so far, CLICK - followed.

some interesting bags mentioned so far.
  • Tonto likes this

#19 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 19,192 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted March 22 2016 - 04:08 PM

LL BEAN? Might as well eat quiche.

#20 SULLYGUY

SULLYGUY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,646 posts

Posted March 22 2016 - 04:15 PM

REI makes some good packs. I still have my North Face Jester backpack from 13 years ago. Definitely put it through the ringer and still holding up strong.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, im, looking, for, good, back, pack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users