Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Do I need a wiring kit?

do need wiring kit

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LiDad

LiDad

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 10,011 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted March 21 2016 - 06:10 PM

I've been thinking about adding one of those LED light bars to my SUV.

I found a could of 20"-24" light bars on Geek that seem pretty good for my use, good price, good reviews.

But in one of the reviews it mentioned the light didn't come with a wiring kit. I looked up wiring kits.

Do I really need to use one?

I thought I can just wire the neg to ground and the pos to a SPST switch then to the fuse box.

Any advice?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 50bmgshooter

50bmgshooter

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationBaldwin

Posted March 21 2016 - 06:17 PM

you can do it your way leds use very little amps but I would add a relay

#3 LiDad

LiDad

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 10,011 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted March 21 2016 - 06:18 PM

That's what meant by a "wiring kit". One with a relay.

Why a relay?

#4 50bmgshooter

50bmgshooter

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationBaldwin

Posted March 21 2016 - 06:21 PM

always safer to run main power through a relay
  • raceradam likes this

#5 OH UNCLE PAUL

OH UNCLE PAUL

Banned

• Banned
  • 17,343 posts

Posted March 21 2016 - 06:33 PM

Always better to use a Bosch type relay and wire the feed directly to the battery.

Rigid Industries makes some great lights. Very pricey but after a lot of research checking out lights they are better then the China crap. Brightness, color, beam pattern, etc. Having a light that is bright as hell to look at doesn't mean it puts the light on the road here you want it.

#6 pitbull428

pitbull428

Recovering vegan, bacon saved my life

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,472 posts

Posted March 21 2016 - 06:57 PM

That's what meant by a "wiring kit". One with a relay.

Why a relay?

Anytime you want to control device(s) that draw more current that the contacts on your switching device are rated for.

I suggest you use the wiring kit they recommend or that comes with the light.
  • JonnyMach, Yaphank Kid and raceradam like this

#7 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,360 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted March 21 2016 - 07:21 PM

The relay is so you don't need a heavy gauge wire for the switch, easier to run through the fire wall. Also, beware of cheap LED lights for automotive use; they may be LED, but they will not last. I made that mistake thinking a cheaper set was good b/c they looked the part, but they only lasted a couple years, not even that if you count the housing rusting to poop. After that experience, I got smart and spent the money on PIAA's. The high quality off-road LED kits are the only way I would go, and they will come with their own wiring harness.

Edited by mrprovy, March 21 2016 - 07:24 PM.

• JonnyMach likes this

#8 JonnyMach

JonnyMach

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member
  • 446 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted March 21 2016 - 07:29 PM

Considering its only a 24" bar, you could wire it like you want as long as the switch is rated for enough amperage, a 24" bar is about 160watts on average if they are a 3 watt leds and 2 row. that is about 13-14 amps at 12volts. using a wiring chart you can figure out what gauge you will need and you can run 8-12 gauge all threw your truck if you so chose to with a switch rated for it. But i would just wire it with a relay and don't forget to use a fuse. Everything I wire on anyone's truck is done with relays and fuses and the proper gauge wiring. Don't half Butt it. You might want to look at OTRATTW for some cool switches for your truck.

Relays also help when you want to wire something to a key on power source.
  • pitbull428 likes this

#9 Yaphank Kid

Yaphank Kid

Older Budweiser

• Donated Member
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 21 2016 - 07:33 PM

You can get the wiring kit, relay and switch for about 20 bucks. Use a relay or you risk frying the switch.
  • pitbull428 likes this

#10 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1,851 posts

Posted March 27 2016 - 06:36 PM

If you are looking for an LED Light bar, PM me. I sell all the top brands and most of the brands include a wiring kit, so you don't need to buy one separately. Not that I've ever USED the included wiring kits, I have my own switch box/relays in my truck so I do my own thing. But it's nice that the top brands include one. Just PM me for info/pricing. I'll extend a discount to LIF guys.
  • TTSkipper likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: do, need, wiring, kit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users