Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Gilgo/Sore Thumb not set to open?

gilgosore thumb not set to open

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,827 posts

Posted March 16 2016 - 07:56 AM

I had seen something on FB a few weeks ago that Gilgo/Sore Thumb will not be opening this year due to erosion. Anyone else hear this?

Considering ditching the state permit this year and going with the Suffolk County instead, especially if the Gilg closing is true. Does the county pass restrict tire size to 33" like the state pass does?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 LiDad

LiDad

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 10,011 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted March 16 2016 - 08:01 AM

Every year more and more (or should I say less and less) state beach is open for 4x4.

Erosion is real but until it threatens ocean parkway they're in no rush to make it better just for some lousy surf casters.

I heard now you need the 4x4 AND night permit???

#3 Kamakazi118

Kamakazi118

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 276 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 16 2016 - 08:27 AM

I did the 4x4 passes for a long time.... got sick of Smith Point closing at will for pretty much half the season due to the damn plovers.... ditched the 4x4 pass and got a boat, now I do what I want!! Anyway, here's a link to the Suffolk rules http://www.suffolkco...BeachRules.aspx As for the tire size, there are deuce and a half's that regular Smith Point, and I have friends with 35"'s or better who have never had an issue...... just air down so you don't cause ruts, but half the people don't follow that rule anyway.
  • xcentrk likes this

#4 jetfan1616

jetfan1616

Just zis guy, you know?

• Club LIF Member
  • 2,454 posts
  • LocationEastern Suffolk

Posted March 16 2016 - 09:00 AM

Be warned that if you plan to use the permit at Smith Point, it will be closed as much, if not more, than Democrat and Sore Thumb.
  • LiDad likes this

#5 4x4Blazer

4x4Blazer

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 807 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted March 16 2016 - 09:24 AM

I would bet that the thumb will open but there may be little to no beach to drive on and access would be limited to the trails that lead down to the beach. Gilgo has practically no beach to drive on at high tide and I would expect it to remain closed.

#6 stuc

stuc

Marksman

• Donated Member
  • 96 posts
  • LocationLI

Posted March 16 2016 - 09:29 AM

Gilgo is closed. It's blacked out on the permit now, with a sticker stating closed. Not sure about sore thumb, but it has become soccer mom central anyway as there is little to no enforcement of the fishing rules.

#7 roadraje

roadraje

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 1,728 posts
  • Locationoff the grid.

Posted March 16 2016 - 09:35 AM

#surfcasterslivesmatter
  • LiDad likes this

#8 LiDad

LiDad

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 10,011 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted March 16 2016 - 09:51 AM

#surfcasterslivesmatter

Not until you've been hanging off a Jetty by your literal finger nails at 2am in October! :o. ;)

#9 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3,948 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted March 16 2016 - 10:00 AM

pictures of Gilgo on another website would tell me that unless this summer's and early fall's usual return of some sand takes place in a dramatic fashion, one can forget access by vehicles there. That said, I have never seen an overweight surfcaster on the walk to the Jones Beach jetty... There are some advantages to prohibiting vehicle access.

#10 knightofsuffolk

knightofsuffolk

Winter is coming

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 3,569 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted March 16 2016 - 10:59 AM

Smith Point is closed now as well for dredging.
By the time that is done it will be just in time to close for the stupid little dune chickens.
Gotta love the opportunities we get here for our tax dollars.

#11 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,827 posts

Posted March 16 2016 - 11:09 AM

I thought Sore Thumb was part of Gilgo, and therefor the whole place would be shut down. There was already so much erosion last year that you could barely drive on the beach and had to use the trails

#12 NYG60

NYG60

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 491 posts
  • LocationSmith Point

Posted March 16 2016 - 11:55 AM

Sore subject. I surfcasted all over the island for almost 30 years.... Each year I would have passes from Rockaway through Montauk, losing access each year, less and less, more fighting, yadda yadda...In 2012 I bought a new Parker and never looked back. We live on an island yet have access to leass than half, probably less now. In Montauk even though I have the resident 4x4, still needed Camp Hero and the State to be compiant. PFFT...

Edited by NYG60, March 16 2016 - 11:55 AM.

• LiDad and Valcas1 like this

#13 knightofsuffolk

knightofsuffolk

Winter is coming

• Established Member
  • 3,569 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted March 16 2016 - 01:04 PM

Sore subject. I surfcasted all over the island for almost 30 years.... Each year I would have passes from Rockaway through Montauk, losing access each year, less and less, more fighting, yadda yadda...In 2012 I bought a new Parker and never looked back. We live on an island yet have access to leass than half, probably less now. In Montauk even though I have the resident 4x4, still needed Camp Hero and the State to be compiant. PFFT...

Yup. Same issue with most of my favorite, long time water fowling spots. Lose, lose, lose...

#14 trapshooterbob

trapshooterbob

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 4,370 posts
  • LocationBohemia, NY

Posted March 16 2016 - 01:12 PM

You guys are really starting to depress me. I was going to ask where are the good fishing spots if you don't have a boat.

Maybe I should just spend the summer shooting trap.

#15 LiDad

LiDad

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 10,011 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted March 16 2016 - 01:13 PM

Go kayak.

Most of the benefits of a boat, no motor or insurance expenses. :D

• trapshooterbob, COLLECTINGHEADS and Tesla like this

#16 semixauto

semixauto

Marksman

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 81 posts
  • LocationWest Babylon, NY

Posted March 16 2016 - 02:51 PM

Its awful.

#17 LiDad

LiDad

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 10,011 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted March 16 2016 - 05:40 PM

Years ago I attended a presentation by a surf guide. He sais he spends a $1,000 a year in permits.

Afterwards I asked him how much and started rattling off all the fishing/access/4x4 permits for LI.

He as right.

Disgusting. :(

#18 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted March 16 2016 - 07:24 PM

You guys are really starting to depress me. I was going to ask where are the good fishing spots if you don't have a boat.

Maybe I should just spend the summer shooting trap.

Get a friend with a boat. ;) Oh & continue to shoot trap.
  • trapshooterbob likes this

#19 PaPaBear

PaPaBear

NYS Safety Instructor

• Board Moderator
  • 3,872 posts
  • LocationIslip

Posted March 18 2016 - 03:32 PM

Gilgo is closed permanent Sore thumb will be opened

#20 LiDad

LiDad

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 10,011 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted March 18 2016 - 03:34 PM

And they reduced the cost of the permit for the loss of access?

;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gilgosore, thumb, not, set, to, open

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users