Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Gilgo/Sore Thumb not set to open?

6K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  pequa1 
#1 ·
I had seen something on FB a few weeks ago that Gilgo/Sore Thumb will not be opening this year due to erosion. Anyone else hear this?

Considering ditching the state permit this year and going with the Suffolk County instead, especially if the Gilg closing is true. Does the county pass restrict tire size to 33" like the state pass does?

#2 ·
Every year more and more (or should I say less and less) state beach is open for 4x4.

Erosion is real but until it threatens ocean parkway they're in no rush to make it better just for some lousy surf casters.

I heard now you need the 4x4 AND night permit???

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I did the 4x4 passes for a long time.... got sick of Smith Point closing at will for pretty much half the season due to the damn plovers.... ditched the 4x4 pass and got a boat, now I do what I want!! Anyway, here's a link to the Suffolk rules http://www.suffolkco...BeachRules.aspx As for the tire size, there are deuce and a half's that regular Smith Point, and I have friends with 35"'s or better who have never had an issue...... just air down so you don't cause ruts, but half the people don't follow that rule anyway.

Reactions: xcentrk
#9 ·
pictures of Gilgo on another website would tell me that unless this summer's and early fall's usual return of some sand takes place in a dramatic fashion, one can forget access by vehicles there. That said, I have never seen an overweight surfcaster on the walk to the Jones Beach jetty... There are some advantages to prohibiting vehicle access.

#10 ·
Smith Point is closed now as well for dredging.
By the time that is done it will be just in time to close for the stupid little dune chickens.
Gotta love the opportunities we get here for our tax dollars.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sore subject. I surfcasted all over the island for almost 30 years.... Each year I would have passes from Rockaway through Montauk, losing access each year, less and less, more fighting, yadda yadda...In 2012 I bought a new Parker and never looked back. We live on an island yet have access to leass than half, probably less now. In Montauk even though I have the resident 4x4, still needed Camp Hero and the State to be compiant. PFFT...

#13 ·
Yup. Same issue with most of my favorite, long time water fowling spots. Lose, lose, lose...

#14 ·
You guys are really starting to depress me. I was going to ask where are the good fishing spots if you don't have a boat.

Maybe I should just spend the summer shooting trap.

#17 ·
Years ago I attended a presentation by a surf guide. He sais he spends a $1,000 a year in permits.

Afterwards I asked him how much and started rattling off all the fishing/access/4x4 permits for LI.

He as right.

Disgusting.

#19 ·
Gilgo is closed permanent Sore thumb will be opened

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
And they reduced the cost of the permit for the loss of access?

when did they do this I still payed $65 for mine this season
  • 4 Wheel Beach Vehicle Fishing Permit
  • New York Vehicle Registration $65
  • Out of State Vehicle Registration $110

#24 ·
Ill be at Demo and Sore thumb. First year I have gotten a permit and it seems like the offroad surfcasting spots are basically extinct. I have been an avid hunter but wanted to get into fishing and do some hanging out on the beach as well....Now I dont know what I will do. Boats too expensive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.