Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Ticks are out!

ticks are out

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Tom Mac

Tom Mac

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 828 posts
  • LocationLI, NY

Posted March 16 2016 - 01:34 PM

Also had a tick last week....
Look into a Tick-Key. They are small enough for a key chain, make removal VERY EASY on kids ( works so-so on long hair dogs, good on short hair ) .

I picked up a 6 pack on ebay last year for the family... used only 2x so far but they do work.

Posted Image

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 Short Track Hunter

Short Track Hunter

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1,083 posts

Posted March 16 2016 - 01:40 PM

I literally saw a tick jump last week. I know they don't jump, but I saw it personally. I was sitting on my front steps, and I saw a tick in the grass on top of a blade of grass. Then it leaped about 12".

#23 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 16 2016 - 01:54 PM

Also had a tick last week....
Look into a Tick-Key. They are small enough for a key chain, make removal VERY EASY on kids ( works so-so on long hair dogs, good on short hair ) .

I picked up a 6 pack on ebay last year for the family... used only 2x so far but they do work.

Posted Image

They do work but with all the diseases that ticks carry like Lyme, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and the [GASP] making you allergic to meat. I want to prevent the little democrats from ever digging into me.

#24 Paté

Paté

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 38,956 posts

Posted March 16 2016 - 07:02 PM

Automatic message - This topic has been moved from Chit-Chat to All Other - Open Discussions

#25 shamuscull

shamuscull

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 5,453 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 16 2016 - 07:52 PM

Can anyone recommend best treatment for yard?
  • Short Track Hunter likes this

#26 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,337 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted March 16 2016 - 08:03 PM

My daughter took my dog to a park in Stony Brook, came home, had a tick starting to eat its way into her rib cage. Have no idea how it got there. hahahaha

Where was she? The deer are running rampid in the area, so I'm not surprised the tics are all over... I try to avoid entering any eroded area around, hate them little ef'rs!

#27 13.2

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationsuffolk county

Posted March 18 2016 - 07:19 PM

Have a flock of these roaming around your property. They LOVE them some ticks! And they are fun to watch!

Bob the only problem i find with the turkey running around is that the chiggers come along with the turkey which sucks. I hate chiggers! i get the sawyer premetherin spray from my job for "free" and i treat the heck out of my hunting clothes but the chiggers still load up on pants. The spray says it will kill them but i never wait to see. I either brush them off or i give them a spray from the can that i carry in with me. I would rather get busted by a deer smelling me then to have to deal with the Tick/chiggers

#28 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 19 2016 - 07:44 AM

Don't waste your money getting a "professional" unless you know you can trust them.
I paid some thief $150 to spray my yard. 2 days later my Mom had a tick on her that I had to remove and i found one in my garden.
When he called to do the next treatment I told him about it.
He said the stuff he used "annoyed" the ticks. That's why they were active.
Yeah.That's what he said. and it would take several treatments.

I told him "Let me tell you what I'm looking for in an insecticide; I don't want then annoyed.
I don't want them inconvenienced, bothered, perturbed or upset. I want them DEAD!"

So here's what I do. I live in Tick central BTW.
I get the lawn granules from Homer Depot. Like this stuff
http://www.homedepot...63941/100023081
I put down twice the amount they say.
Then I buy permethrin concentrate from Domyownpestcontrol http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/
I mix that at double strength and spray my entire house, and under the deck and the perimeter with a mistblower. A sprayer works too just takes 5 times as long. I also spray under all the trees and my bushes.
No ticks. No wasps, no gnats, or skeeters for 2 months.

Here's the problem though.
Permethrin, which is probably the safest insecticide to use and is used on cattle, dairy cows and we put it on our dogs ( not good for cats birds or fish though)

Guess which is the only state out of the 57 states Obama says we have that you can not buy or have permethrin sent too?
That's right. This liberal sinkhole.
So I have it shipped to PA and smuggle it in.

Edited by Aquabach, March 19 2016 - 07:48 AM.

#29 shamuscull

shamuscull

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 5,453 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 19 2016 - 08:33 AM

So the exterminator thought you wanted angry ticks? Yeah I will put something down myself. I was just wondering if anyone had success with any specific product.

#30 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 19 2016 - 08:59 AM

So the exterminator thought you wanted angry ticks? Yeah I will put something down myself. I was just wondering if anyone had success with any specific product.

The Lawn granules work. You just have to use more than they say.
I remeber years ago I had onion grass in my lawn. i bought stuff and mixed it exactly to the directions.
I sprayed it 3 times and it barely killed any of it.
I asked my Dad what to use. He stopped in his local Agway in PA. My Dad knew the owner well.
He gave my Dad the same stuff i had used. Dad told him i used that and it didn't work.
He asked my Dad if I followed the directions and Dad said I did.
He shook his head and said, "You don't follow the directions! You have to mix it 3x the strength they say."

I did. and it worked.

Edited by Aquabach, March 19 2016 - 09:00 AM.

• shamuscull likes this

#31 sherm66

sherm66

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,119 posts

Posted March 19 2016 - 10:08 AM

I live in the Riverhead area. We have bees and free ranging chickens. My wife is totally against pesticides and lawn chemicals. (It's ok as she is a hard right Conservative as opposed to my deer feeding, PETA loving, dem, hippy neghbors who are also against pesticides and lawn chemicals.) Also can't throw any type of granules down as the chickens will snap them up.

I'll add also that free ranging chickens seem to make no dent in the tick population whatsoever. It's the nymphs you to worry about mostly and they're too small for the chickens to see/eat.

We used a local lawn service for a few tears that sprays a Rosemary oil based spray and saw good results. We have an acre but only really sprayed about half of it where the dogs were active. We had the lawn and and 30' into the woods sprayed.

At the time we had four dogs and ticks were coming in every day by the handful. It was $200 a treatment and we did it twice a year. We saw a huge difference.

We're down to one pooch now and we're just super militant about inspecting hot for ticks every day.

#32 DrBrianDDS

DrBrianDDS

Dentist

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Club LIF Member, Donated Member

• 472 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted March 26 2016 - 09:32 PM

Just used these to pull one off the wife. Research shows nearly zero percent transmission if tick is removed within 24 hours.

IMG_20160326_222201745.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ticks, are, out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users