Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Fishing the Ponquogue Bridge (No Not Yet)

fishing the ponquogue bridge no not yet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trapshooterbob

trapshooterbob

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 4,370 posts
  • LocationBohemia, NY

Posted March 08 2016 - 12:31 PM

Anyone ever fish by the Coast Guard Station? Can you fish there or just the other side?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 08 2016 - 12:43 PM

Anyone ever fish by the Coast Guard Station? Can you fish there or just the other side?

there isn't much life there but you can fish there if you'd want to.
At least you could years ago. This was back long before they made the bridge a wet land conservation project and used funds to pave a parking lot and put in a boat ramp and then charge fees to use an area that used to be free.

We all know nothing says wetland conservation like asphalt and a boat ramp.

As far as fishing on the north side, It's shallow and limited structure other than the bridge.
I've dove their twice and didn't see a fraction of the amount of life as I have at the South side of the bridge.

Edited by Aquabach, March 08 2016 - 12:51 PM.

• trapshooterbob likes this

#3 trapshooterbob

trapshooterbob

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 4,370 posts
  • LocationBohemia, NY

Posted March 08 2016 - 12:57 PM

Yeah, I've fished the south side....I've seen some good action and some not so good.

I've also fished down by the inlet on the dock next to Oakland's. There's some good fishing there....when the tide is moving one way or the other the fish come around that corner either coming into the bay or going out depending on the direction of the bait.

#4 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 08 2016 - 01:00 PM

Yeah, I've fished the south side....I've seen some good action and some not so good.

I've also fished down by the inlet on the dock next to Oakland's. There's some good fishing there....when the tide is moving one way or the other the fish come around that corner either coming into the bay or going out depending on the direction of the bait.

It's my favorite beach dive on Long island.
Spearfishing has been very productive there.
In late summer, I've even caught tropical salt water fish with a net for my aquarium.
Great site.
By the Coast guard station, not so much.

#5 class3

class3

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3,554 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 08 2016 - 01:30 PM

For a beach dive, it's unbeatable.

From the water, it's very fertile fishing under the old bridge piers and around the new bridge structure.

From the south side on land on the old bridge structure, it can be ok but you have to get the tides right.

There is no more suitable fishing on the north side since the old bridge pier has been closed (due to Sandy damage).

From shore you are much better off fishing off the inlet from the rock jetties, or just go off the ocean beach.

(Striped bass season opens April 15, coming soon!!)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fishing, the, ponquogue, bridge, no, not, yet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users