Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Feds hand over $1 billion to wildlife agencies from gun, equipment sales

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jimmy958

jimmy958

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,499 posts

Posted March 08 2016 - 10:02 AM

"The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service on Monday announced it would make available over $1.1 billion
collected from the long-standing excise tax on the sale of firearms, ammunition, archery and
fishing equipment.

The funds are collected through the Pittman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration and Dingell-Johnson
Sport Fish Restoration programs, which have mandated taxes levied against manufacturers of hunting
and fishing equipment since 1937 and 1950, respectively. This revenue stream can only be used for
the benefit of public recreation, education and conservation.

It is a cyclical arrangement known as the “user-pays” model in which those who buy outdoor and
shooting sports gear help fund future sportsmen and provide earmarked money to local conservation
and safety efforts that would otherwise be unavailable."

Read more: http://www.guns.com/...quipment-sales/

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 08 2016 - 10:06 AM

I'm sure there's no waste or pork in this program.
  • Tonto, Mad Russian, trapshooterbob and 3 others like this

#3 trapshooterbob

trapshooterbob

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 4,370 posts
  • LocationBohemia, NY

Posted March 08 2016 - 10:10 AM

According to the link:

NEW YORK $25,874,984

I'm certain Governor Cuomo is ready to spend this money wisely.
  • Tonto and Mad Russian like this

#4 lichris

lichris

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,905 posts
  • LocationStuck in a liberal hell hole.

Posted March 08 2016 - 10:22 AM

According to the link:

NEW YORK $25,874,984

How much is the MTA bailout going to be? What - you can't take a train to a recreational area?
  • NRATC53, Tonto, Mad Russian and 1 other like this

#5 PeepSight

PeepSight

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 15,404 posts

Posted March 08 2016 - 10:25 AM

More public shooting ranges would increase their revenue.
  • NRATC53, Parashooter, Tonto and 4 others like this

#6 brirodg

brirodg

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,247 posts
  • Locationsuffolk

Posted March 08 2016 - 10:26 AM

Honestly, from what I've read, Pittman-Robertsman is one of the very few things the federal government gets right. This money is very transparent and there are dozens of sportsmens groups that watch carefully and help steer this money to where it's needed. I'm sure it's less than perfect, but without it, millions of acres of public land, would likely be inaccessible.

• Captain Will, Mad Russian, trapshooterbob and 3 others like this

#7 DBV61998

DBV61998

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 803 posts

Posted March 08 2016 - 10:30 AM

I have a nice compound bow and plenty of rifles. I've never hunted a day in my life. No matter how benevolent the cause, the correlation between firearms and hunting only serves to distract from the actual intent of the second amendment.
  • Captain Will, Aquabach, li02liberty and 2 others like this

#8 Sheeple

Sheeple

Banned

• Banned
  • 10,933 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted March 08 2016 - 10:37 AM

According to the link:

NEW YORK $25,874,984

10 million for him, 5 million for his buddies, 5 million for the special interest groups that support him, and 5.8 million towards some wasteful BS that he deems necessary.
  • Mad Russian and trapshooterbob like this

#9 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,100 posts

Posted March 08 2016 - 10:39 AM

The gun community and industry push the PR funds. How in Gods name you can justify stealing 11% of every sale, funneling the money to the Federal govt, having some flunky behind a desk allocate it, then having the money go to another flunky at the State level, makes no sense to me. More so I believe it to immoral for the Feds to steal my freaking money and then have the nerve to tell me how best it should be spent. SMH
  • DBV61998, trapshooterbob, raceradam and 1 other like this

#10 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 08 2016 - 11:00 AM

Honestly, from what I've read, Pittman-Robertsman is one of the very few things the federal government gets right. This money is very transparent and there are dozens of sportsmens groups that watch carefully and help steer this money to where it's needed. I'm sure it's less than perfect, but without it, millions of acres of public land, would likely be inaccessible.

That's making several assumptions I would think.
First that the costs of running the program is efficient. And we all know the probability of that is pretty slim. But let's say they do a good job of passing it on.
Then we have to assume all the agencies they pass this money onto are efficiently running.
Agencies like the NYS DEC for example.
I find that to be even more unlikely.

Why would millions of wild land be inaccessible?
Like when Obama closed the outdoor memorials with the sequester that needed no one to operate but they needed to hire guards and install barricades to close?
  • DBV61998 likes this

#11 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19,574 posts

Posted March 08 2016 - 11:22 AM

I remember reading about a debacle during, I think it was the Clinton Administration, where the Fed tried to hijack this to fund, was it Social Security?
Funny how this money has apparently remained nondistributed until the possibility we may have another Clinton in office.
Just sayin' - better keep an eye on that piggy bank. Having Hitlery loose in the White House is like having Winona Ryder lose in your department store, except exponentially less sexy.
  • NRATC53 and LI Ammo like this

#12 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,934 posts

Posted March 08 2016 - 11:23 AM

It actually is. That and Wallop- Breaux do a lot of good in NYS

#13 The Idiocracy

The Idiocracy

I'm a Michigander now.

• Donated Member
  • 5,170 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 08 2016 - 11:45 AM

10 million for him, 5 million for his buddies, 5 million for the special interest groups that support him, and 5.8 million towards some wasteful BS that he deems necessary.

And 17 million more in unfounded commitments. Way to go sportsmen, we're in debt because of you. /sarc off.

Edited by The Idiocracy, March 08 2016 - 11:46 AM.

#14 brirodg

brirodg

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,247 posts
  • Locationsuffolk

Posted March 08 2016 - 11:50 AM

That's making several assumptions I would think.
First that the costs of running the program is efficient. And we all know the probability of that is pretty slim. But let's say they do a good job of passing it on.
Then we have to assume all the agencies they pass this money onto are efficiently running.
Agencies like the NYS DEC for example.
I find that to be even more unlikely.

Why would millions of wild land be inaccessible?
Like when Obama closed the outdoor memorials with the sequester that needed no one to operate but they needed to hire guards and install barricades to close?

Don't get me wrong. I'd never suggest that any government program was completely efficient. But this money is kept separate and visible which makes typical federal government waste, fraud and abuse much less of a concern. It doesn't just get dumped into a general fund even when it gets down to the state level.

As for access, no barricades are necessary, they use the land itself. The government says "don't worry, we're only selling off 1/3 of this public land to private owners." Then they sell the 1/3 that encircles the, still public, but completely inaccessible, 2/3 in the middle that wasn't sold. Huge fights out west over this type of situation. This money being available, makes any land sales much less necessary.

Again, I'm not suggesting that it's perfect. But if all our taxes were handled like this, we would be far better off.

#15 gripper

gripper

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,949 posts

Posted March 08 2016 - 12:43 PM

to get that public range I believe we need to contact our elected officials and probably the dec to petition for some of the $$, on the island of no and nimby it may be tough to find a location and well we know how well our elected officials represent us

#16 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 08 2016 - 12:58 PM

Don't get me wrong. I'd never suggest that any government program was completely efficient. But this money is kept separate and visible which makes typical federal government waste, fraud and abuse much less of a concern. It doesn't just get dumped into a general fund even when it gets down to the state level.

As for access, no barricades are necessary, they use the land itself. The government says "don't worry, we're only selling off 1/3 of this public land to private owners." Then they sell the 1/3 that encircles the, still public, but completely inaccessible, 2/3 in the middle that wasn't sold. Huge fights out west over this type of situation. This money being available, makes any land sales much less necessary.

Again, I'm not suggesting that it's perfect. But if all our taxes were handled like this, we would be far better off.

Might be. My trust for government is way below that of eating gas station sushi.
I'd trust my college age daughter drinking alone with Bill Cosby or interning with Bill Clinton more.

In another thread someone asked about the Ponquogue bridge in Shinnecock.
That reminded me of the absurdity and waste of most government programs.
For years divers and fisherman went there.
No fees. No amenities and it was nice.
Then the town got funding from the feds for wet land conservation.
They used the money to put in a parking lot and a boat ramp.
Then they charged a fee to use it.
This is all true.
First, how does anyone justify that as wetland conservation?
Second, now we have to pay for what was free and in theory we paid for it already with our taxes.
  • muskoday, blue steel and brirodg like this

#17 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 19,559 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted March 08 2016 - 03:25 PM

What liberal pocket is this money going to end up in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users