Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Looking for a good FFL for a first timer

looking for good ffl first timer

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 AlasdhairM

AlasdhairM

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSouthold, NY

Posted March 02 2016 - 08:02 PM

Hi! I've decided to buy either a CMP M1 Garand or a Swiss G11 or K31 from Simpson LTD. It is also my first time buying a firearm involving an FFL, and I want to find the right place to do it. I don't have a problem with paying a few extra dollars for not having hassle from the ATF or NY State Police, and for good service. As I'm on the North Fork, I started looking there. I see a couple of places on Gunbroker's handy dandy map, namely:

Glenn Shafer (Riverhead)
$35

Edward's Discount Center
$50

East End Arms/Jon's Sporting Goods
$35

Drake Associates
$50

Along with a couple places on the South Fork, but hopefully one of the four above is sane and has good service. I read a thread about Edward's having somewhat poor service, so I'm disinclined to give them my business. What would you recommend?

Also, what's the deal with LIPSA?
  • golf17 likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7,904 posts

Posted March 02 2016 - 08:12 PM

Welcome to LIF. What type of potential hassles could you expect from ATF and NYSP?
Sorry, I'm further west than you and no dealings with those FFL's.
  • Peconic Paladin likes this

#3 shamuscull

shamuscull

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 5,460 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 02 2016 - 08:14 PM

Member peconicpaladin. I am sure I butchered his name. He is an Ffl out in sag harbor area
  • grifhunter, Aquabach, FULL METAL JACKET and 1 other like this

#4 AlasdhairM

AlasdhairM

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSouthold, NY

Posted March 02 2016 - 08:15 PM

Welcome to LIF. What type of potential hassles could you expect from ATF and NYSP?
Sorry, I'm further west than you and no dealings with those FFL's.

I expect none, I just don't want to have to deal with paperwork SNAFUs and bureaucratic shenanigans. I am trying to find an FFL that will make my first experience buying a gun from out-of-state as painless as possible.

#5 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 02 2016 - 08:21 PM

Member peconicpaladin. I am sure I butchered his name. He is an Ffl out in sag harbor area

Peconic Paladin

I can personally say he's a very good person to deal with.
Very knowledgable as well.

I expect none, I just don't want to have to deal with paperwork and bureaucratic shenanigans. I am trying to find an FFL that will make my first experience buying a gun from out-of-state as painless as possible.

Only way to buy a firearm without any paperwork in NY state is to commit a felony.

Edited by Aquabach, March 02 2016 - 08:29 PM.

• Tonto likes this

#6 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member

• 16,103 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted March 02 2016 - 08:21 PM

We're with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.
Let me guess - this isn't about the alcohol or tobacco.
  • C6NY likes this

#7 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 9,503 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted March 02 2016 - 08:22 PM

Paperwork, no way around it. Beaurocratic shenanigans, not sure what that means.
Peconic Paladin is out that way, additional quality and trustworthy LGS FFL's further west.
If you are a true noob to firearms I'd suggest you visit a local gun store and try to meet some other gun owners to get a realistic sense of the landscape out there.
A gun purchase or transfer will require a 4473 for ATF and a NICS check, legally, no way to avoid it.
If your hoping to find shortcuts here I'd say this is not the right place to look.

Feel free to ask questions, lots of knowledge and experience here.

Edit: fixed grammar so it didn't appear I was dissing Peconic Paladin

Edited by Huntington Guy, March 02 2016 - 08:59 PM.

• Tonto, Aquabach, Dan 0351 and 1 other like this

#8 AlasdhairM

AlasdhairM

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSouthold, NY

Posted March 02 2016 - 08:44 PM

I'm not looking for shortcuts, I just want as smooth and painless an experience as possible. I've been a shotgun-only shooter aside from the occasional range rental when on vacation out-of-state, and I have been thinking about how to get into rifle shooting for a while. I'm not super worried about recoil or fundamentals of marksmanship, as I've been shooting a 12 gauge FN-made Auto-5 and a .177 Ruger air rifle for a while, and for a few personal reasons, I decided upon a Garand or a Schmidt-Rubin. Right now, I'm working on getting my logistical/legal ducks in a row, as the financial and research part has been completed.

#9 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 9,503 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted March 02 2016 - 09:11 PM

Crawl before you walk my friend. Then walk before you run. Firing a shotgun and then transitioning into purchasing/shooting a Garand is a pretty sizable leap. They are very different firearms, don't assume they handle, operate or shoot even remotely alike.
Recoil and fundamentals of marksmanship are not minor considerations. Understanding and mastering them will not only help you to enjoy your shooting experiences but will help keep you safe...more importantly, it will help keep my family, my friends and me safer.

Again, lots of experience and knowledge here, take advantage of it. Come to one of the ranges where members shoot and spend time talking, watching and learning...make some new friends in the process.
Better yet, contact one of our resident instructors or other experts and get some instruction...no such thing as too much training. Almost every experienced shooter I know engages in ongoing training.

• grifhunter likes this

#10 bberetta1

bberetta1

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3,124 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 02 2016 - 09:15 PM

It's really a very simple process. Purchase the firearm of your choice (as long as it is NY compliant). Have said firearm sent to the FFL of your choice. The FFL will have you complete a 4473. You pay the transfer fee and walk out with your new firearm. It's not that big of a deal.

#11 PeepSight

PeepSight

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 15,408 posts

Posted March 02 2016 - 09:19 PM

Alan Chwick is excellent at the Freeport range.
  • FULL METAL JACKET likes this

#12 RobertB

RobertB

Marksman

• Donated Member
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County, NY

Posted March 02 2016 - 09:28 PM

Only FFL place I used for online orders was for ammo and I used:

PORT JEFF ARMY NAVY
1612 Main Street
Port Jefferson, New York 11777

Phone: 631-473-0400
Fax: 631-473-0431

Very nice people and never had any problems.

What do you want to know about LIPSA?
It's a private range for members only (long waiting list to get in). none members can only go to the range for a match held by LIPSA, you must register for it (they also hold USPSA matches). If you know a member they can bring you to the range with them as they are allowed to bring 1 guest with them.
  • portjeffarmynavy likes this

#13 Peconic Paladin

Peconic Paladin

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1,791 posts

Posted March 02 2016 - 09:29 PM

No prob, except for the space, and I'm sure I would have garbled "shamuscull" without the copy and paste function.

Peconic Paladin

I can personally say he's a very good person to deal with.
Very knowledgable as well.

Only way to buy a firearm without any paperwork in NY state is to commit a felony.

Regardless, thank you gentlemen. Unfortunately, I have paperwork too, but it goes quickly!
  • FULL METAL JACKET likes this

#14 class3

class3

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3,559 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 02 2016 - 09:52 PM

Not to answer a question you didn't ask, but if you are not buying a rare variation M-1 Garand (like an all original, or an M1C or D) then Simpson Ltd will be a pretty pricey place to get it. They are very reliable, and sells some fantastic stuff, but are not the place to go for run of the mill guns.

Better options include ordering directly from the CMP (ask how if you need help) or buying one locally in a face to face transaction.

#15 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 9,503 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted March 02 2016 - 10:01 PM

M-1 = Orion7
  • BLAMMO and gettingfedup like this

#16 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member

• 16,103 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted March 03 2016 - 07:41 AM

Why do you presume there will be some sort of hassle, paperwork SNAFUs, bureaucratic shenanigans or any other problems associated with buying a rifle through an FFL? If you can answer questions 11 and 12 truthfully, there won't be any problems.

Also, why are you so sure you want to make the purchase from out of state? Have you checked some of the local "merchants of liberty" first?

If you've pretty much decided on a Garand, I would start with Orion 7. If you decide to go the CMP route, I personally recommend getting a Special Grade. For about $1000 you basically get a new rifle. I have one and I love it. Sounds like you're looking for a shooter, more than a collector's item.
  • gettingfedup and Huntington Guy like this

#17 gettingfedup

gettingfedup

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 796 posts
  • LocationNear the Suffolk border

Posted March 03 2016 - 08:04 AM

Orion 7
tele: 631 205 1299
fax: 631 205 0353
email: Michael@m1garand.com

1542 Rocky Point Rd.
Middle Island, NY 11953

See their banner ad at top of page.

#18 AlasdhairM

AlasdhairM

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSouthold, NY

Posted March 03 2016 - 10:39 AM

At the moment, I'm leaning more towards a Swiss G11 or K31, which Simpson LTD has for like $300-500, and a 10/22, which I would be buying in-state.

#19 golf17

golf17

Marksman

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 81 posts
  • LocationSmithtown

Posted March 03 2016 - 11:38 AM

Only FFL place I used for online orders was for ammo and I used:

PORT JEFF ARMY NAVY
1612 Main Street
Port Jefferson, New York 11777

Phone: 631-473-0400
Fax: 631-473-0431

Very nice people and never had any problems.

What do you want to know about LIPSA?
It's a private range for members only (long waiting list to get in). none members can only go to the range for a match held by LIPSA, you must register for it (they also hold USPSA matches). If you know a member they can bring you to the range with them as they are allowed to bring 1 guest with them.

i have used Port Jefferson Army Navy great people very easy to work with got my M1 Garand sent there was very easy good luck love my M1 Garand you will love it
  • portjeffarmynavy likes this

#20 AlasdhairM

AlasdhairM

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSouthold, NY

Posted March 03 2016 - 06:17 PM

Hey everyone! The topic is somewhat redundant, as I've gone with Peconic Paladin, and it's going very nicely on my end so far.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: looking, for, good, ffl, first, timer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users