Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

FFL for outbound shipping of pistols?

ffl for outbound shipping of pistols

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2,356 posts

Posted February 17 2016 - 05:26 PM

A few different issues here...

1. What is legal vs illegal (a non-licensee shipping a handgun through USPS is illegal)
2. What company policies are (https://www.ups.com/...s/firearms.html)
3. What common occurrence is (walk into the UPS store and tell them you are shipping a gun and they will point you to the door - albeit incorrectly)

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 LI Ammo

LI Ammo

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Established Member, Club LIF Member

• 878 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted February 17 2016 - 05:32 PM

I second that. We're in the same boat :-) Even the friendliest ffls on LI haven't addressed this issue to my satisfaction, thus making us private owners non-competitive for handgun sales on gunbroker. DSI, thanks for partial clarification, but even a private party is allowed to ship a handgun next day air (assuming that receiving ffl will accept shipments from a private party which most of them do). I read the USPS rules at some point and my understanding was that ffl needed to register with USPS. What's the big deal? Priority mail is $15 or so for that package size. Help us sell the handgun and sure enough we'll by another one and transfer it through you :-)

Also, some miss-information here, the USPS package won't be $15.00 anymore when you add adult signature and insurance, both extra cost options and together another $10 to $20 depending on value. The cheapest I can get a small pistol out of here is actual cost of about $27.00 and it's usually more. Most medium sized plastic gun cases don't fit in the medium box and have to go to the large box, and then it's $35.00 to $40.00 actual cost.

Somehow it always seems like customers think we're laying back making money at every turn. My experience has been to the contrary.

#23 DanJ

DanJ

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 819 posts

Posted February 17 2016 - 07:04 PM

LI Ammo and DSI I really appreciate you guy taking the time and explaining the nuances of shipping a pistol to us.

#24 lucija

lucija

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 639 posts

Posted February 20 2016 - 07:54 AM

I second that. We're in the same boat :-) Even the friendliest ffls on LI haven't addressed this issue to my satisfaction, thus making us private owners non-competitive for handgun sales on gunbroker. DSI, thanks for partial clarification, but even a private party is allowed to ship a handgun next day air (assuming that receiving ffl will accept shipments from a private party which most of them do). I read the USPS rules at some point and my understanding was that ffl needed to register with USPS. What's the big deal? Priority mail is $15 or so for that package size. Help us sell the handgun and sure enough we'll by another one and transfer it through you :-)

This is entirely untrue. You can send a rifle via the post office, but a non-FFL can not send a handgun in the mail it is a federal crime.

"Entirely untrue" is a pretty bold statement, I'm having trouble finding even parts of my statement that are untrue (so I'd appreciate if you could be more specific).

I have to say though that I'm not sure whether unsafe act (or some other recent changes by local licensing offices) affected the ability of a private party to ship a handgun next day air.

I never said that a private person can ship a handgun through USPS. If I thought that was possible, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Some of the FFLs told me they couldn't ship USPS, I then read some rules and it appeared to me that they just needed to submit some paperwork with local post office.

Either way I appreciate you trying to address the questions. Bottom line for me is: If I'm to sell a handgun on gunbroker I have to pay $65 and upwards shipping/transfer fees ... which makes me not very competitive at all as a seller. Which means that I'm neither selling nor buying, which means less transfer fees to pay at local FFLs.

#25 golf17

golf17

Marksman

• Donated Member
  • 81 posts
  • LocationSmithtown

Posted February 24 2016 - 02:34 PM

port jeff gets my vote
  • portjeffarmynavy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ffl, for, outbound, shipping, of, pistols

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users