Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

FFL for outbound shipping of pistols?

ffl for outbound shipping of pistols

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 class3

class3

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3,555 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted February 03 2016 - 11:53 AM

Which FFL is best to ship a pistol to an out of state FFL that I am selling? I am thinking in terms of fee and also what the shipping charge will be.

It's a PIA; need to take them off the license with an amendment as well. Makes it discouraging to sell anything.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 jarheadsergeant

jarheadsergeant

#1 Grade A Super Stud

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 03 2016 - 12:08 PM

Camp-Site is my go to FFL.

#3 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted February 03 2016 - 12:17 PM

Just asked this same question yesterday at SouthShoreSportsman. They will do this transaction. Not sure of cost.
I have a Beretta I am selling locally, but Im thinking if going the GB route tomvastly expand my audience. You are so right. Its a major pain in the butt to sell a handgun now.

#4 mills613

mills613

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 650 posts
  • LocationSmithtown

Posted February 03 2016 - 01:41 PM

Port Jeff Army Navy in Port Jeff if you're out east...
  • portjeffarmynavy likes this

#5 airbrushart

airbrushart

airbrushart

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,514 posts
  • Locationspace the final frontier

Posted February 03 2016 - 01:58 PM

Depending on where you are Hunter Essentials in Albertson near Mineola, South Shore Sportsman

#6 DanJ

DanJ

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 805 posts

Posted February 03 2016 - 05:47 PM

Do these places use fedex or USPS to ship pistols?

#7 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2,330 posts

Posted February 03 2016 - 07:46 PM

Do these places use fedex or USPS to ship pistols?

All of the above. We mostly use UPS. Pro and con on UPS and FedEx is that pistols MUST be sent via next day air for security reasons, which makes it expensive. USPS is much cheaper as it is priority mail but we have to fill out forms and take it to the Piet office which takes a lot of time, aka money. Regardless, there is no cheap way to and a pistol.

#8 DanJ

DanJ

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 805 posts

Posted February 14 2016 - 06:03 PM

What type of cost is one looking at for the FFL transfer and shipping?

#9 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted February 14 2016 - 07:04 PM

What type of cost is one looking at for the FFL transfer and shipping?

Thats a great question. Im guessing some dealers on Long Island sell on gunbroker also. Perhaps one of those that do could give an answer
As to cost for say, Priority Mail, to ship a handgun. Not exact amt, but a pretty darm close one. It isnt terribly costly to ship handguns via the postal service. Most gunbroker shipping ranges from as low as $15 to as high as $40. Those charging the higher end are one I usually dont bid on. Reason being, they are making money on the shipping cost, besides the gun sale.
Seems local dealers dont want to be bothered shipping your gun that they didnt sell to an out of state dealer. Just my take on it.

Edited by TJ Ironhorse, February 14 2016 - 07:05 PM.

#10 lucija

lucija

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 633 posts

Posted February 14 2016 - 10:35 PM

Thats a great question. Im guessing some dealers on Long Island sell on gunbroker also. Perhaps one of those that do could give an answer
As to cost for say, Priority Mail, to ship a handgun. Not exact amt, but a pretty darm close one. It isnt terribly costly to ship handguns via the postal service. Most gunbroker shipping ranges from as low as $15 to as high as $40. Those charging the higher end are one I usually dont bid on. Reason being, they are making money on the shipping cost, besides the gun sale.
Seems local dealers dont want to be bothered shipping your gun that they didnt sell to an out of state dealer. Just my take on it.

I second that. We're in the same boat :-) Even the friendliest ffls on LI haven't addressed this issue to my satisfaction, thus making us private owners non-competitive for handgun sales on gunbroker. DSI, thanks for partial clarification, but even a private party is allowed to ship a handgun next day air (assuming that receiving ffl will accept shipments from a private party which most of them do). I read the USPS rules at some point and my understanding was that ffl needed to register with USPS. What's the big deal? Priority mail is $15 or so for that package size. Help us sell the handgun and sure enough we'll by another one and transfer it through you :-)
  • TJ Ironhorse likes this

#11 DanJ

DanJ

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 805 posts

Posted February 14 2016 - 10:49 PM

Can an FFL use the click and ship pickup service or do they have to physically take it to the PO?

#12 lucija

lucija

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 633 posts

Posted February 14 2016 - 11:00 PM

Can an FFL use the click and ship pickup service or do they have to physically take it to the PO?

Curious to find out. I know for a fact that private party shipping a handgun through UPS or Fedex HAS to schedule a pickup, you can't take it to the office here onLI. Dislosure: last time I did it was pre-unsafe. The guy at scpd took my shipping receipt and actually called the receiving ffl out of state to confirm the transaction before removing it from my license.

#13 vmtcmt

vmtcmt

Uh-oh...

• Established Member
  • 12,524 posts
  • LocationRychia

Posted February 14 2016 - 11:08 PM

Curious to find out. I know for a fact that private party shipping a handgun through UPS or Fedex HAS to schedule a pickup, you can't take it to the office here onLI. Dislosure: last time I did it was pre-unsafe. The guy at scpd took my shipping receipt and actually called the receiving ffl out of state to confirm the transaction before removing it from my license.

I've sent firearms out for warranty/upgrade work via the FedEx hub in Melville multiple times. Only once did anything go overnight. Once I saw the manufacturer was sending them back two day, that's they way they went out. No issues, even told them it was a firearm.

OP, besides the usual shops, check out Kwaks Trading Post in Bellmore.
http://www.longislan...s-trading-post/

ETA: Found this
http://www.longislan...e/#entry1646519

Inbound transfers for rifle/pistol is $30+tx

Outbound transfers rifle/pistol are the same + shipping chgs

face to face/ "Cuomhole" transfers are:
Rifle - 20.00
Pistol - 30.00

• malakaguy and bigbore44 like this

#14 vmtcmt

vmtcmt

Uh-oh...

• Established Member
  • 12,524 posts
  • LocationRychia

Posted February 15 2016 - 01:36 PM

Just got some stuff back from a manufacturer about a half hour ago. It was sent 2 day, on 02/11.

FedEx.jpg

#15 DanJ

DanJ

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 805 posts

Posted February 17 2016 - 04:26 PM

So does anyone have a recommendation and a ballpark price for Suffolk county?

#16 LI Ammo

LI Ammo

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Established Member, Club LIF Member

• 867 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted February 17 2016 - 04:57 PM

I second that. We're in the same boat :-) Even the friendliest ffls on LI haven't addressed this issue to my satisfaction, thus making us private owners non-competitive for handgun sales on gunbroker. DSI, thanks for partial clarification, but even a private party is allowed to ship a handgun next day air (assuming that receiving ffl will accept shipments from a private party which most of them do). I read the USPS rules at some point and my understanding was that ffl needed to register with USPS. What's the big deal? Priority mail is $15 or so for that package size. Help us sell the handgun and sure enough we'll by another one and transfer it through you :-)

This is entirely untrue. You can send a rifle via the post office, but a non-FFL can not send a handgun in the mail it is a federal crime.
  • DarkStorm likes this

#17 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,939 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted February 17 2016 - 04:58 PM

class3, I am guessing you have already looked into doing so, but can you get a price from a local buyer that would equate to the total cost of FFLing it out ?

#18 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,939 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted February 17 2016 - 05:01 PM

I sent a handgun to the manufacturer for warranty repair using my local USPS. It came back to me (directly) via Fedex. Was this illegal and the USPS screwed up as well ?

#19 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor

• 2,330 posts

Posted February 17 2016 - 05:22 PM

Just got some stuff back from a manufacturer about a half hour ago. It was sent 2 day, on 02/11.

FedEx.jpg

2 day is only with special approval from UPS or Fed Ex. We tried, but they want a volume of a few hundred pieces a day!!! Basically they have to set up a special storage cage for you at the local depot.

#20 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor

• 2,330 posts

Posted February 17 2016 - 05:22 PM

I sent a handgun to the manufacturer for warranty repair using my local USPS. It came back to me (directly) via Fedex. Was this illegal and the USPS screwed up as well ?

Yes, it was illegal.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ffl, for, outbound, shipping, of, pistols

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users