Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

U.S. Service Rifle Small Arms Firing School (SAFS)

us service rifle small arms firing school safs

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Waldo189

Waldo189

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 438 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted February 03 2016 - 09:58 AM

Announcing the 2016 SAFS. If you have an interest in High Power competition, then this course will serve you well. Upon completion you will be able to safely enter and compete in any High Power match Nationwide. This will be the 27th year that we are providing this course. You will receive "hands on" instruction from volunteer competitor coaches throughout the weekend. This program is approved by the C.M.P. and you will receive a certificate from them upon completion. All lead instructors are either current or past members on the NYS Service Rifle Team and are C.M.P. Distinguished Riflemen.
Many of you are aware that for 2016, the CMP has reclassified the "Service Rifle" to now include M-4 configurations in addition to A-4 configurations. The CMP has also included the use of scopes in competitions up to 4.5 power. This particular course will still be conducted only on the AR-15 A-2 platform with as issued iron sights. The reason for this is that it is a fundamental course and we want everyone on the same exact platform for uniformity in instruction. Our host, The Peconic River Sportsman's Club has AR-15 A-2's for loan. The High Power League that I run is NRA approved. As the CMP has changed their rules for 2016, you are invited to participate in our regular League Matches after completing the course with scoped rifles if you choose to. If you do so, you are not eligible for an NRA High Power classification as the NRA still requires the use of iron sights in competition.
I have attached the registration form for your use. The course is open to the first 66 entries i receive. It usually sells out early so register ASAP.
Regards,
Ed

Attached Files

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 4,965 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted February 03 2016 - 12:38 PM

Ed:
I'll try to get this into the next two issues of the SASI/NCFGA Newsletter. Also, I just added it to our website.
Gary

#3 Waldo189

Waldo189

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 438 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted February 03 2016 - 12:41 PM

Ed:
I'll try to get this into the next two issues of the SASI/NCFGA Newsletter. Also, I just added it to our website.
Gary

Thank you very much Gary. I appreciate it.
Ed

#4 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 4,965 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted February 03 2016 - 12:44 PM

Thank you very much Gary. I appreciate it.
Ed

Ed:
It's a great program and as many as can should attend it.
Gary

#5 Waldo189

Waldo189

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 438 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 04 2016 - 09:20 AM

To all: Registration forms for the Small Arms Firing School are coming in at a brisk pace. If you want to attend, you need to get it in gear as the course is limited to the first 66 entries and we only provide this instruction once a year each April.

#6 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7,899 posts

Posted March 04 2016 - 09:28 AM

Interesting. Don't think I can make the event this time but sounds like something I'll do down the road.
I have Colt A2 HBAR which I swapped out the factory barrel for a heavy barrel w/o the scary flash suppressor. Is that acceptable for future events?

#7 RussianNY

RussianNY

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 214 posts
  • LocationHempstead, NY

Posted March 04 2016 - 09:31 AM

Can I participate with non-American service rifle with iron sights? Russian SKS for example.

#8 Waldo189

Waldo189

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 438 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 04 2016 - 09:33 AM

Interesting. Don't think I can make the event this time but sounds like something I'll do down the road.
I have Colt A2 HBAR which I swapped out the factory barrel for a heavy barrel w/o the scary flash suppressor. Is that acceptable for future events?

Absolutely

#9 Waldo189

Waldo189

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 438 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 04 2016 - 09:36 AM

Can I participate with non-American service rifle with iron sights? Russian SKS for example.

You may not use that in the U.S. Service Rifle Small Arms Firing School (SAFS). However, upon completion of the course, you could fire that in our NRA matches as long as you can "sling up" with it as we fore from various positions.

#10 Waldo189

Waldo189

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 438 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 11 2016 - 06:38 PM

Friday night BUMP. Course is filling up. If you one on one instruction and training in shooting from position with irons this will serve you well, You will be able to safely enter any "across the course" High Power Match in the country as they are all run the same. This course is approved by the CMP and you will receive a training certificate upon completion.

#11 mj1990

mj1990

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • 116 posts
  • LocationLynbrook

Posted March 11 2016 - 07:22 PM

I think I might sign up. I would like to use my rifle. It is a a3 or a4 setup with a 16 inch barrel. I can order a carry handle for the sights is that ok?

#12 Waldo189

Waldo189

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 438 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 11 2016 - 07:40 PM

this course is conducted on the AR15-A2 platform. There are very good reasons for that. We have about 30 volunterr coaches that are all High Power shooters. We need to keep instruction uniform as it corresponds with our classroom presentation as this will carry over to both dry and live fire excercises. You are most welcome to use one of our rifles for this course. After you complete the course you can participate in our League Matches using any rifle ( yours) that conforms with NRA or CMP rules We continue to provide coaching and assistance as needed throughout the season as well as loaner rifles to those who may need them.

• jay o likes this

#13 jay o

jay o

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 384 posts
  • Locationronkonkoma

Posted March 28 2016 - 07:16 PM

hi ed. is it still opening for the class?

#14 Waldo189

Waldo189

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 438 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted April 01 2016 - 08:15 AM

hi ed. is it still opening for the class?

Yes Jay I still have openings
Ed

#15 Waldo189

Waldo189

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 438 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted April 14 2016 - 06:59 PM

To all: I still have some openings for the SAFS. If you are interested, you will need to get your registration form in the mail this weekend. Thanks, Ed

#16 Waldo189

Waldo189

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 438 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted February 02 2017 - 12:49 PM

Announcing the 2017 SAFS. If you have an interest in High Power competition, then this course will serve you well. Upon completion you will be able to safely enter and compete in any High Power match Nationwide. This will be the 28th year that we are providing this course. You will receive "hands on" instruction from volunteer competitor coaches throughout the weekend. This program is approved by the C.M.P. and you will receive a certificate from them upon completion. All lead instructors are either current or past members on the NYS Service Rifle Team and are C.M.P. Distinguished Riflemen. 
Many of you are aware that in 2016, the CMP had reclassified the "Service Rifle" to now include M-4 configurations in addition to A-4 configurations. The CMP has also included the use of scopes in competitions up to 4.5 power. This particular course will still be conducted only on the AR-15 A2 platform with as issued iron sights. The reason for this is that it is a fundamental course and we want everyone on the same exact platform for uniformity in instruction. Our host, The Peconic River Sportsman's Club has AR-15 A-2's for loan. The High Power League that I run is NRA approved. As the CMP has changed their rules for 2016, you are invited to participate in our regular League Matches after completing the course with scoped rifles if you choose to. 
I have attached the registration form for your use. The course is open to the first 66 entries I receive. It usually sells out early so register ASAP.
Regards,
Ed

Attached Files

• Parashooter likes this

#17 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 10,414 posts

Posted February 03 2017 - 02:25 PM

Guys, if you can make it, sign up for this!!!   You WILL come away a better shooter, there is a lot to learn from this event.

Ed, as usual, if I can get there I'll volunteer.

#18 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,731 posts

Posted February 03 2017 - 07:02 PM

A great class, my Son took it about 8-9 years ago and learned a lot. I would highly recommend it

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: us, service, rifle, small, arms, firing, school, safs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users