Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Online Transfers, U Call FFL First?

online transfers call ffl first

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 bberetta1

bberetta1

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3,124 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 20 2016 - 08:45 PM

Just wondering what you guys usually do when purchasing a pistol online.

Do you first ask the FFL if they are willing to do the transfer before you make your purchase?

Do you make the purchase first and then notify the FFL that you are having a pistol shipped to them for transfer?

Anyone ever have an FFL who was not willing to do a transfer of an online purchase?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 xcentrk

xcentrk

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 590 posts
  • LocationBrookhaven

Posted January 20 2016 - 09:09 PM

I just used Jerry recently. I purchased the gun (Jerry's Firearms & Supplies was already on file with the website I purchased from) and had it send to him. Once I got the tracking number I called Jerry to let him know I made a purchase and it was on the way to him.

Where are you purchasing from? The place I got mine had a list of FFL's to choose from. I did the same when I used another FFL when Jerry was closed for a while last year as well.

#3 carguy110

carguy110

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 2,721 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted January 20 2016 - 09:15 PM

It depends. Do you have a relation with that particular FFL? Have you done any transfers there before? Is there an FFL already on file with the place/person your buying from? Is this a private-party/gunbroker transaction. I take all these variables into account.

#4 bberetta1

bberetta1

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3,124 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 20 2016 - 09:19 PM

When I have done it in the past, I have always called the FFL before making my purchase to make sure it was OK that I ship the firearm to them to do the transfer. I just feel kind of funny about purchasing and have the firearm sent, then calling to say I had a firearm shipped to you for a transfer. Just wondering what others do.

#5 VolkoSupply

VolkoSupply

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor

• 2,830 posts

Posted January 20 2016 - 09:54 PM

From the FFL side of things:

We prefer to get a phone call from a customer either before the seller contacts us, or before a brown box arrives. It just feels better that way.

On top of that, we know what is in the brown box so we can better keep our inventory. Also, if the seller is really bad at paperwork (happens more often than you think) I don't just have some random rifle sitting in the store, and then someone comes in and goes "yeah I'm here for this random rifle".

It's pretty rare (only a few times a year), but customers will order non NY compliant firearms. Then it turns into a run around. Some online retailers were so bad about this that I called them and asked to be taken off of the receiving dealer's list because I was tired of telling people that they couldn't have something "even though it's just a .22", or "you mean a high point is illegal now?!"

Ohhh yeah, we don't handle pistols. i know, i know. I keep thinking about it.

-Vick
  • killian likes this

#6 LI Ammo

LI Ammo

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Established Member, Club LIF Member

• 878 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted January 20 2016 - 10:32 PM

For us, we only need a call if it's not NY legal, and you are law enforcement, and not bound by the rules.
Or call us if you aren't sure about the legality of a transaction or firearm.
We get a fair number of threaded barrel pistols for example.

#7 Jeff_C

Jeff_C

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSyosset, NY

Posted January 20 2016 - 10:33 PM

Think quickly! I just got my license and your're sooo convenient!

Jeff

Edited by Jeff_C, January 20 2016 - 10:39 PM.

• RandLee likes this

#8 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,627 posts

Posted January 20 2016 - 11:21 PM

For us, we only need a call if it's not NY legal, and you are law enforcement, and not bound by the rules.

Threaded barrel pistols. Oh those evil type assault pistols. What absolute horse pucky.
  • NRATC53 likes this

#9 MEGA2899

MEGA2899

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 593 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted January 21 2016 - 01:31 AM

From the FFL side of things:

We prefer to get a phone call from a customer either before the seller contacts us, or before a brown box arrives. It just feels better that way.

On top of that, we know what is in the brown box so we can better keep our inventory. Also, if the seller is really bad at paperwork (happens more often than you think) I don't just have some random rifle sitting in the store, and then someone comes in and goes "yeah I'm here for this random rifle".

It's pretty rare (only a few times a year), but customers will order non NY compliant firearms. Then it turns into a run around. Some online retailers were so bad about this that I called them and asked to be taken off of the receiving dealer's list because I was tired of telling people that they couldn't have something "even though it's just a .22", or "you mean a high point is illegal now?!"

-Vick

Think quickly! I just got my license and your're sooo convenient!

Jeff

Seriously! I'm on a buying frenzy! Jkjkjk...... Maybe.

#10 Ellar

Ellar

Sipping tea and saying it's none of my business.

• Donated Member
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationLevittown

Posted January 21 2016 - 04:07 AM

Are there any extra lashes across the back when a Nassau licensee picks up an internet pistol purchase from a Suffolk FFL that one wouldn't need to bite the pillow on if it was a Nassau/Nassau party?

#11 Blade21

Blade21

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted January 21 2016 - 08:12 AM

Are there any extra lashes across the back when a Nassau licensee picks up an internet pistol purchase from a Suffolk FFL that one wouldn't need to bite the pillow on if it was a Nassau/Nassau party?

No, its just another trip to the Nassau PLB...thats all

#12 cprstn54

cprstn54

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted February 11 2017 - 09:46 AM

Just doing this.

Woodbury Outfitters had me buy the rifle first, which they won't ship until they match an FFL with the order.

Then I called Port Jeff Army Navy ($20 all in for rifle *or* handgun) and followed up with a fax having the contact and order info at Woodbury. Port Jeff confirmed by email that they were sending their FFL to Woodbury.

Hopefully, Woodbury will confirm receipt of the FFL and advise shipping to Port Jeff.

BTW, even $20 to receive your gun, call you, and look you up on the freebie data base is excessive for the time involved. The guys charging $30-$40 (and up) are just rip-offs taking advantage of you because of a poorly-conceived [is there any other kind?] gun control scheme. Next time I need gun supplies, I will be doing it at Port Jeff -- not the nearer ripoff guys.

Ken C

NRA #6346884

#13 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 6,106 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted February 11 2017 - 10:49 AM

Just doing this.

Woodbury Outfitters had me buy the rifle first, which they won't ship until they match an FFL with the order.

Then I called Port Jeff Army Navy ($20 all in for rifle *or* handgun) and followed up with a fax having the contact and order info at Woodbury. Port Jeff confirmed by email that they were sending their FFL to Woodbury.

Hopefully, Woodbury will confirm receipt of the FFL and advise shipping to Port Jeff.

BTW, even $20 to receive your gun, call you, and look you up on the freebie data base is excessive for the time involved. The guys charging $30-$40 (and up) are just rip-offs taking advantage of you because of a poorly-conceived [is there any other kind?] gun control scheme. Next time I need gun supplies, I will be doing it at Port Jeff -- not the nearer ripoff guys.

Ken C
NRA #6346884

$20 is a bargain for a transfer. They need to be there to receive the shipment, inspect the gun, log it in to their inventory, contact you, attend to you while you fill out the paperwork and wait for the NICS check, do their paperwork, etc.

If you think it is excessive maybe you should go through the process of getting your FFL, rent a storefront, hire employees, get insurance, etc. and make fortune doing transfers for $10. I wish you the best of luck.
  • TJ Ironhorse, Swstock and Punisher1336 like this

#14 leftjammer

leftjammer

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted February 11 2017 - 10:59 AM

$20 is a bargain for a transfer. They need to be there to receive the shipment, inspect the gun, log it in to their inventory, contact you, attend to you while you fill out the paperwork and wait for the NICS check, do their paperwork, etc.

If you think it is excessive maybe you should go through the process of getting your FFL, rent a storefront, hire employees, get insurance, etc. and make fortune doing transfers for $10. I wish you the best of luck.

LOL

#15 cprstn54

cprstn54

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted February 11 2017 - 11:50 AM

That's the kind of thinking behind the high, greed-driven charges: If you did it yourself, it would cost you $50,000, so $70 is a bargain.

You would probably ask $10 million for a Chevy Nova.

Businesses charge at the margin. These guys already have the storefront, the licenses, the staff, the insurance. Doing transfers is gravy.

Hopefully, we gun enthusiasts (who are not also dealers) can through the sharing of information and the mechanism of the free market get some decent deals and avoid being further victimized: Once by Big Brother and again by profiteering merchants.

Ken C

#16 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 6,106 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted February 11 2017 - 12:15 PM

That's the kind of thinking behind the high, greed-driven charges: If you did it yourself, it would cost you $50,000, so $70 is a bargain.

You would probably ask $10 million for a Chevy Nova.

Businesses charge at the margin. These guys already have the storefront, the licenses, the staff, the insurance. Doing transfers is gravy.

Hopefully, we gun enthusiasts (who are not also dealers) can through the sharing of information and the mechanism of the free market get some decent deals and avoid being further victimized: Once by Big Brother and again by profiteering merchants.

Ken C

The free market has already set the price and the minimum seems to be $20 around here. If someone could make a reasonable profit charging less they would be doing it and dominating the market by undercutting the competition.

Most full sized gun shops charge much more because it is not economically feasible to help online sellers undercut their prices (and also not charge sales tax) for pennies.

The few FFLs that are in the $20 to $25 range (Volko, Jerry's and PJAN - all great, btw) don't keep large inventories of guns and are not competing with themselves doing transfers.

They provide the service at a very, reasonable fee, yet you whine about their prices. Get your FFL and try to do it cheaper.

#17 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,627 posts

Posted February 11 2017 - 01:45 PM

Hard to believe that someone thinks $20 is too much for a transfer. $20 is a rock bottom, fair price. Are you new to the firearms game on Long Island? I'm not asking in a sarcastic way. It seems you may not be aware of what is entailed time wise.
Having said that, I do agree that many LI dealers charge too much for transfers. Simply stay away from them. Use the ones that aren't charging stupid amounts.
  • lonewolf5347, ProGodProGunProLife and Camaro45th like this

#18 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Sharp Shooter!

• 426 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted February 11 2017 - 02:30 PM

I'm in the process of doing this myself. Kwaks said they charge $32.59 for the transfer. I called south shore and they want $30 for used and $50 for new.
  • TJ Ironhorse likes this

#19 Punisher1336

Punisher1336

MOLON LABE

• 2,703 posts

Posted February 11 2017 - 03:00 PM

Only 4 posts and he is coming off like a jerk. Geez.
  • ProGodProGunProLife likes this

#20 dank27

dank27

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 948 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted February 11 2017 - 03:35 PM

I use volko almost exclusively. I always send vick a pm or give him a ring as a heads up. They are great at getting the ffl info to the shipper, etc.

I highly recommend.
  • ProGodProGunProLife likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: online, transfers, call, ffl, first

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users