Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Handgun transfers

handgun transfers

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,346 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted December 20 2015 - 08:22 AM

Same in Nassau - Direct family member / face to face, does not require an FFL for a transfer.

But, has anyone actually done an immediate family member transfer w/o PLB breaking balls for the FFL transfer? Spouse is included in the immediate family clause, but they told me (phone) I still have to do the shuffle!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 bigbore44

bigbore44

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 3,948 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted December 20 2015 - 02:08 PM

But, has anyone actually done an immediate family member transfer w/o PLB breaking balls for the FFL transfer? Spouse is included in the immediate family clause, but they told me (phone) I still have to do the shuffle!

As of the last visit to the window to add a couple on the license, I had directly asked about the case of dual registration between my father and myself, and transfers between the two of us. My dad's not a spring chicken anymore, and a dual registration would make things a lot easier to deal with when the dreadful day arrives, when he can no longer pull the trigger etc. I was instructed that no dual registration was possible, and transfers were to be direct, with no involvement of a FFL required. As we all know, things change with no warning, whether it be the person you're dealing with at the counter, over the phone, time of day, wind direction, wipes back to front etc etc. Maybe somebody who has had a recent case will chime in.

#23 Missi0n02

Missi0n02

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 71 posts
  • LocationIslip

Posted December 20 2015 - 06:54 PM

$20.00

So why was my dad charged $40?

#24 jfirearms357

jfirearms357

Sharp Shooter!

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Established Member
  • 350 posts
  • Location436-B Central Ave. Bohemia NY 11716

Posted December 20 2015 - 07:42 PM

POPULAR

As I said before I didn't realize till after you left that it was the same last name. You weren't chared 40.00 you were charged 20.00 and your son or father was charged 20.00. For a total of 40.00 dollars between the two of you. So it's 20.00 each. As I said before come back I'll refund you the 20.00 or 40.00 for both of you . Go to PLB and get it transferd for there fee if they charge you?
Jerrys Firearms & Supplies.

• vmtcmt, FredW56, ChiBurger and 6 others like this

#25 pitbull428

pitbull428

Recovering vegan, bacon saved my life

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,472 posts

Posted December 20 2015 - 08:24 PM

As I said before I didn't realize till after you left that it was the same last name. You weren't chared 40.00 you were charged 20.00 and your son or father was charged 20.00. For a total of 40.00 dollars between the two of you. So it's 20.00 each. As I said before come back I'll refund you the 20.00 or 40.00 for both of you . Go to PLB and get it transferd for there fee if they charge you?

Class act and good business to offer to undo a mistake.

From the dealings I've had with Jerry, he is a stand up guy and ALWAYS does right by his customers.

I approve this message :good

Edited by pitbull428, December 20 2015 - 09:22 PM.

• ChiBurger, killian, fcruz and 5 others like this

#26 shamuscull

shamuscull

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 5,458 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted December 20 2015 - 09:14 PM

Because you did not split it with him or pick up the tab.
  • ChiefSailer, pitbull428 and Harmonic like this

#27 Missi0n02

Missi0n02

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 71 posts
  • LocationIslip

Posted December 21 2015 - 08:32 AM

Not trying to bad mouth you or anythingjerry just figuring out the process this was my first transfer. I know there's a lot of paperwork that goes into all transfer sorry for any Inconvenience.

#28 XOsugarbabyXO

XOsugarbabyXO

Banned

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted December 21 2015 - 09:26 AM

If I was told it is $20 a transfer I would assume the whole transfer is $20 not $20 in $20 out. I never did a pistol transfer but for rifles it was always just one fee of either $20 or $25. Jerry stated he will give you a refund which is noble. It seems like a poor communication and he is trying to do the right thing.

Is campsites $75 purchase for a free transfer $75 total $'s or $75 to transfer the rifle in and $75 to transfer out?
  • Missi0n02 likes this

#29 jfirearms357

jfirearms357

Sharp Shooter!

• Forum Sponsor
  • 350 posts

Posted December 21 2015 - 09:36 AM

Not trying to bad mouth you or anythingjerry just figuring out the process this was my first transfer. I know there's a lot of paperwork that goes into all transfer sorry for any Inconvenience.

You need to come back and pick up handgun first before you go to PLB and for your refund of $40.00. Then you and your Dad or your son need to go to PLB together and do the transfer.
Remember you must come back to me "first".
  • cu455 likes this

#30 ChiefSailer

ChiefSailer

• Topic Starter
  • Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted December 21 2015 - 09:37 AM

Ok I want to set the record straight, It was a handgun, and yes it was 20.00 in and 20.00 out, however I didn't realize it was a father to son until they left, so they didn't need a transfer from me to begin with. Just go to PLB and do transfer there. So they can come back I'll refund them the 40.00. I absorb the paperwork and coupons which no one knows about that have to be done on every pistol that goes in and out of this STATE.

PS I like the idea of Campsite, You spend 75.00 in my store and the transfer is free.

Should I start that?

Jerry

Yes, and can you add an espresso machine too? That would be nice. LOL.
+1 Jerry's
  • O1SalsaX, ChiBurger, pitbull428 and 1 other like this

#31 Missi0n02

Missi0n02

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 71 posts
  • LocationIslip

Posted December 21 2015 - 09:43 AM

Pages I only hear good things about jerry just miscommunication I guess
  • shamuscull and John060404 like this

#32 shamuscull

shamuscull

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member

• 5,458 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted December 21 2015 - 09:52 AM

Pages I only hear good things about jerry just miscommunication I guess

Jerry is a good guy and I don't say that about many people.
  • vmtcmt, VolkoSupply, ChiBurger and 2 others like this

#33 Missi0n02

Missi0n02

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 71 posts
  • LocationIslip

Posted December 21 2015 - 10:16 AM

You need to come back and pick up handgun first before you go to PLB and for your refund of $40.00. Then you and your Dad or your son need to go to PLB together and do the transfer.
Remember you must come back to me "first".

I'm sorry again jerry what are your hrs this week? Don't worry about refund we will just proceed with transfer as planned

#34 jfirearms357

jfirearms357

Sharp Shooter!

• Forum Sponsor
  • 350 posts

Posted December 21 2015 - 12:54 PM

I'm sorry again jerry what are your hrs this week? Don't worry about refund we will just proceed with transfer as planned

Hello
7:00pm to 9:00pm mon tue wed
closed xmas eve
closed xmas day
opened sat 10:00am to 5:00pm

jerry
  • killian likes this

#35 1MOA

1MOA

How's it shoot if it's plastic?

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,245 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted December 21 2015 - 01:38 PM

The way I see it is you have an extra $40 to spend at Jerrys now!
  • vmtcmt and killian like this

#36 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor

• 2,336 posts

Posted January 12 2016 - 10:12 PM

A person to person is basically two transfers in terms of the work required. Receiving a gun from another FFL is much less work. That is why many dealers charge different rates for the two scenarios.

#37 SteveT

SteveT

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member

• 483 posts
  • LocationBrookhaven

Posted January 12 2016 - 10:35 PM

Class act and good business to offer to undo a mistake.

^^^ This

#38 Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan

Unappreciated while still alive

• Established Member
  • 3,841 posts

Posted January 12 2016 - 10:41 PM

I just completed a pistol transfer at Bensons. The charge was $10 paid by one of the parties.
  • TJ Ironhorse likes this

#39 Peconic Paladin

Peconic Paladin

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1,788 posts

Posted January 12 2016 - 11:34 PM

A person to person is basically two transfers in terms of the work required. Receiving a gun from another FFL is much less work. That is why many dealers charge different rates for the two scenarios.

This is interesting. How does the process differ?

The handgun comes in from an out of state FFL or from a guy walking in with it. It gets logged in to federal and state/local books.

A guy comes in off the street either to pick up his gun from the internet or from the private seller. He does a 4473 and the gun is logged out of federal and state/local books.

What other steps are missing from the person to person transfer? Quite curious.

#40 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor

• 2,336 posts

Posted February 03 2016 - 07:51 PM

The incoming from a non licensee requires more entry into the federal book. I guess not too different on paper but on e-book its a full contact creation with all their information verses at worst just typing in an FFL number. We then have to do receipts for them to take it off their license and then the state book is more info that if it wer an FFL. We have an intake form we use for an individual which gets all of their info including employer and job. As compared to an existing FFL in our system, receiving from an individual takes 10x as long.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: handgun, transfers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users