Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

school me on Eastern Long Island campgrounds

school me on eastern long island campgrounds

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 warmnfuzzyar

warmnfuzzyar

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 8,632 posts

Posted November 19 2015 - 07:53 AM

Where are they , how long can you stay , rules and regulations , procedure to get in , experience , cost ?

I might rent my house next season and still need to be in the area part time .I am looking to park a motorhome .

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 whitefoot

whitefoot

Powderfinger

• Donated Member
  • 2,478 posts
  • LocationGONE TO EARTH

Posted November 19 2015 - 08:02 AM

Hither Hills St. Park Montauk
http://nysparks.com/...22/details.aspx

Cedar Point Park East Hampton
https://www.google.c...=utf-8&oe=utf-8

These are very popular. I live 10 mins from Cedar Point . Beautiful park
  • warmnfuzzyar likes this

#3 vmtcmt

vmtcmt

Uh-oh...

• Established Member
  • 12,524 posts
  • LocationRychia

Posted November 19 2015 - 08:13 AM

Automatic message - This topic has been moved from Chit-Chat to Camping / RV - Open Discussions

#4 Paté

Paté

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 38,956 posts

Posted November 19 2015 - 08:29 AM

You should join the Long Island Campers page on Facebook. The owners of LIF started it.
  • warmnfuzzyar and Hannco like this

#5 jrd

jrd

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 492 posts

Posted November 19 2015 - 08:36 AM

Start here for rates: http://www.easternli...d.net/rates.htm
Pretty expensive ($1200 month) IMO.
I stayed there twice . Nothing special and the owner seemed to have a serious stick up his arse both times I was there. He spent alot of time going to sites looking things to biatch about.

Your mileage may vary.

#6 warmnfuzzyar

warmnfuzzyar

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 8,632 posts

Posted November 19 2015 - 08:43 AM

Start here for rates: http://www.easternli...d.net/rates.htm
Pretty expensive ($1200 month) IMO.
I stayed there twice . Nothing special and the owner seemed to have a serious stick up his arse both times I was there. He spent alot of time going to sites looking things to biatch about.

Your mileage may vary.

thanks , that's what I am looking for . I need some boots on the ground feedback about the various campgrounds .

#7 toothpuller

toothpuller

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 251 posts

Posted November 19 2015 - 10:18 AM

I have nothing but great things to say about them. Very family oriented place. I never experienced attitude or unfriendliness. Park is clean. Just abide by the rules and you will be fine. McCann's is down the road and might be a little cheaper if you want a seasonal place. There is also another private RV yard on the North Fork, but I cannot recall the name. I think it is Cliff's.

The only issue I had with ELIK was with the electric, it is over-volted and measures at about 129 V. I have a very sensitive breaker and it kept tripping so I had to use the less sensitive one.

#8 warmnfuzzyar

warmnfuzzyar

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 8,632 posts

Posted November 19 2015 - 11:01 AM

I have nothing but great things to say about them. Very family oriented place. I never experienced attitude or unfriendliness. Park is clean. Just abide by the rules and you will be fine. McCann's is down the road and might be a little cheaper if you want a seasonal place. There is also another private RV yard on the North Fork, but I cannot recall the name. I think it is Cliff's.

The only issue I had with ELIK was with the electric, it is over-volted and measures at about 129 V. I have a very sensitive breaker and it kept tripping so I had to use the less sensitive one.

Thanks, I'll have to look into that . I suppose my question now is should I use a trailer or a motorhome ?

Edited by warmnfuzzyar, November 19 2015 - 11:02 AM.

#9 Scrappy.NY

Scrappy.NY

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2,761 posts
  • LocationHuntington, NY

Posted November 19 2015 - 11:27 AM

I stay at Mccanns for July and August on a lease. Very happy there. They are a no-frills campground. Full hookups. Bathrooms with showers and that's about it. Good prices. If you use a camper call in advance. They get booked up fast. Eastern LI campground down the road is nice to but too many rules and fees. Only allow certain dogs. Charge 5 dollars per guest. They don't even allow open fires.etc. They have earned the name "the land of no" for a reason.

#10 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,937 posts

Posted November 19 2015 - 01:11 PM

Thanks, I'll have to look into that . I suppose my question now is should I use a trailer or a motorhome ?

RV is easier to maneuver but more expensive, trailer allows you to set up once and then use towing vehicle for commute etc.

#11 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 6,030 posts

Posted November 19 2015 - 01:34 PM

The state and county parks limit the length of stay to about a week so if you're looking to park a trailer or mobile home for the a few weeks, month or for the whole summer you'll probably be limited to private campgrounds.
  • warmnfuzzyar and Hannco like this

#12 warmnfuzzyar

warmnfuzzyar

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 8,632 posts

Posted November 19 2015 - 02:16 PM

I stay at Mccanns for July and August on a lease. Very happy there. They are a no-frills campground. Full hookups. Bathrooms with showers and that's about it. Good prices. If you use a camper call in advance. They get booked up fast. Eastern LI campground down the road is nice to but too many rules and fees. Only allow certain dogs. Charge 5 dollars per guest. They don't even allow open fires.etc. They have earned the name "the land of no" for a reason.

On a lease , please elaborate ? When do you have to book by ?

#13 Scrappy.NY

Scrappy.NY

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2,761 posts
  • LocationHuntington, NY

Posted November 19 2015 - 04:18 PM

On a lease , please elaborate ? When do you have to book by ?

A lease will reserve the site for a month or more. Last year we paid 550 per month. Some people reserve a site for the entire season(April - October).
We reserve a site for July and August. We keep our camper there the entire time. They are pretty flexible depending on availability.
The campground is owned by the town of Greenport and normally we would book about a year in advance. This year they are not accepting 2016 reservations until after the December 3rd.
Call Donna at the Greenport Marina 631.477.2200 for reservations.

ETA: I hope I explained it right

Edited by Scrappy.NY, November 19 2015 - 04:18 PM.

#14 Short Track Hunter

Short Track Hunter

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1,086 posts

Posted November 19 2015 - 04:31 PM

Tick infested camp ground #1.
Tick infested camp ground #2.
Tick infested camp ground #3.

Not sure which one is better.....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: school, me, on, eastern, long, island, campgrounds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users