Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Today was the day all H*ll broke loose

today was the day all hll broke loose

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 CommonSense

CommonSense

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,733 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore Nassau

Posted October 29 2015 - 06:57 AM

Three feet of water in my house.....nine trees down on it....filled hot tub floated across the yard.....three weeks of living without power sleeping by the woodstove. Thankfully we left town the night before and took both cars. When we returned we were the only ones to have cars for blocks.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 100MPG

100MPG

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Donated Member

• 4,780 posts
  • LocationLong Giland

Posted October 29 2015 - 07:14 AM

?
Last night in Nassau county?
  • Lovemyglock, Mad Russian and cu455 like this

#3 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19,574 posts

Posted October 29 2015 - 07:24 AM

This must be one of these events like Sandy or Irene where some people got wiped out, and the wine glasses standing on the bar in my boat didn't even tip over- because all I got was a little rain, and my occasional roof leak in the kitchen didn't even leak. Sorry for your loss, let us know if you need anything. I wasn't aware there was anything of this magnitude going on last night.

Or else this was a vampire post that somehow got delayed making it through the internets for like years.

#4 axeman628

axeman628

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 4,005 posts
  • LocationHow did I get here?

Posted October 29 2015 - 07:29 AM

Pretty sure he's talking about Sandy. That sucks, 3 years on is everything back to normal?

I hear stories like your's and I'm thankful for the minor inconveniences I dealt with. A few fence panels, a couple of trees and 3 days of no power, nothing compared to some that lost it all.

Edited by axeman628, October 29 2015 - 07:37 AM.

#5 Paté

Paté

Gun Guru

• 38,956 posts

Posted October 29 2015 - 07:33 AM

I was close to the end of my house being built when Sandy hit. The garage wasn't finished so I made the decision to store my Chevelle at my friends house around the corner so it wouldn't get damaged during construction. Boy was that a poor decision...

I think my wife and I were the only people to flee TO Long Island. We had no power and my parents never even had their lights blink. Getting gas to go home wasn't something I considered at the time though.

#6 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 18,686 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted October 29 2015 - 07:37 AM

POPULAR

All Sandy taught me that we should not expect any help from the government. You are on your own.
  • NRATC53, Parashooter, Tonto and 13 others like this

#7 sigmann45

sigmann45

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • 478 posts

Posted October 29 2015 - 08:24 AM

We lost power last night for hour and a half. At least we had no damage and it wasn't cold. During Sandy we had no power for 14 days.

#8 1895guy

1895guy

shots fired

• Donated Member
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 2,350 posts
  • Locationport jeff

Posted October 29 2015 - 08:30 AM

i hope i never have to wait 10 hours for gas ever again.
  • zx9allday likes this

#9 100MPG

100MPG

Banned

• Banned

• 4,780 posts
  • LocationLong Giland

Posted October 29 2015 - 08:31 AM

Pretty sure he's talking about Sandy. That sucks, 3 years on is everything back to normal?

Oh! the anniversary...gotcha now. Strange that we had a big storm on the same day. or not.

#10 Joeydiver

Joeydiver

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2,998 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted October 29 2015 - 08:39 AM

Tide came 5' over the bulkhead at my house. Next day started pulling heavy, wet R-30 batt insulation out of my crawl space cavity, in the far end with just a crappy flashlight when I see what looked like sparks as I sloshed around a puddle. "GEEZUS, did the power come back on?? Im sitting in saltwater with a live electrical line now??" Then I realized when I pulled down the saturated insulation, it too was glowing. I agitated some bioluminescent jelly's that got caught in the insulation and the puddles in my crawlspace.
My friend had seed clams in his inground pool when he pulled the cover off in April.

But what I do remember is the eerie darkness on my block. Just the hum of a generator here and there.
  • SOUTHSHOREROB likes this

#11 gopedxr7

gopedxr7

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 4,064 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted October 29 2015 - 08:40 AM

sandy taught me how to hoard gas.
  • Localx, SOUTHSHOREROB, leftjammer and 1 other like this

#12 DLM

DLM

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,174 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted October 29 2015 - 08:52 AM

sandy taught me how to hoard gas.

I now have 4 x 5 gallon gas cans (at the moment only two are full with treated gas) and several smaller cans along with gas stabilizer to keep a supply on hand and so I have some ready to fill when a storm is on the way.

I got lucky and was able to get some cans and fill up early after the storm passed and before the lines formed.
  • gopedxr7 likes this

#13 warmnfuzzyar

warmnfuzzyar

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 8,632 posts

Posted October 29 2015 - 09:16 AM

I feel sorry for the people who got slammed by the storm . I lost 1 asphalt shingle .
  • spider likes this

#14 gopedxr7

gopedxr7

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 4,064 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted October 29 2015 - 09:18 AM

I now have 4 x 5 gallon gas cans (at the moment only two are full with treated gas) and several smaller cans along with gas stabilizer to keep a supply on hand and so I have some ready to fill when a storm is on the way.

I got lucky and was able to get some cans and fill up early after the storm passed and before the lines formed.

amateur lol

395046_4945055072928_1457656408_n.jpg

and never tell people how much your really have ;)

Edited by gopedxr7, October 29 2015 - 09:25 AM.

• Localx and SOUTHSHOREROB like this

#15 DLM

DLM

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,174 posts

Posted October 29 2015 - 09:34 AM

amateur lol

395046_4945055072928_1457656408_n.jpg

and never tell people how much your really have ;)

Where'd you get that?

#16 Hannco

Hannco

Black Robe Regiment Immigration without assimilation = invasion

• Club LIF Member
  • 8,117 posts
  • LocationCentral Nassau

Posted October 29 2015 - 09:47 AM

Last night 2 small tree branches came down in my neighbors yard, "littering" her deck.

I get a panic call this morning, WE have to do something about this tree

No we don't, its a healthy tree that cleans our air and nature did some natural pruning.
  • NRATC53, Parashooter, Lovemyglock and 2 others like this

#17 gopedxr7

gopedxr7

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 4,064 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted October 29 2015 - 09:48 AM

Where'd you get that?

http://www.amazon.co...gallon tank gas

i bought it on amazon. bought a few as gifts for family later on.

the wheels made it great to move around. i would fill at the can can line, walk to the car, empty it in my car tank, then roll it back to the line to fill again for the home generator.

annoying part is to fill a car you have the elevate it above the fuel cap to gravity and its very heavy when full. even elevated it takes a while to empty out. you can pump the handle, but that is very slow and breaks easy if you pump too hard. i have replaced the pump with a brass valve and a boat fuel line primer on a few

recently made a few modifications to have an electric pump on it as well. empties under 15 minutes now

i kind of perfected the art of fuel hoarding since sandy lol

Screenshot_2015-10-29-10-52-14.png

Edited by gopedxr7, October 29 2015 - 09:55 AM.

#18 DLM

DLM

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,174 posts

Posted October 29 2015 - 09:51 AM

http://www.amazon.co...gallon tank gas

i bought it on amazon. bought a few as gifts for family later on.

the wheels made it great to move around. i would fill at the can can line, walk to the car, empty it in my car tank, then roll it back to the line to fill again for the home generator.

annoying part is to fill a car you have the elevate it above the fuel cap to gravity and its very heavy when full. even elevated it takes a while to empty out. you can pump the handle, but that is very slow and breaks easy if you pump too hard. i have replaced the pump with a brass valve and a boat fuel line primer on a few

recently made a few modifications to have an electric pump on it as well. empties under 15 minutes now

i kind of perfected the art of fuel hoarding since sandy lol

Nice. I do like the ease of filling and emptying the smaller ones though. I'll have to look into one of these. Thanks.
  • gopedxr7 likes this

#19 Lovemyglock

Lovemyglock

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,881 posts

Posted October 29 2015 - 10:36 AM

Oh boy, 8 days without power and heat and my block was like the red-headed stepchild. Everyone around us had power except for my street, one corner to the next. It was pretty bad. That and my neighbor's pine tree crashing down onto my prized maple was no fun either. But the worst was hearing a baby squirrel scream in the dark and then finding it perished on my patio. I named her Sandy and laid her to rest, poor thing :(

I was quite fortunate though. I never took on water or had a tree land on my house. Thank goodness. A generator would have been nice though. Oh well.
  • SOUTHSHOREROB likes this

#20 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member

• 15,936 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted October 29 2015 - 12:14 PM

I could not have fared much better. 146 hours without power but we limped along with my 1600 W Honda and never ran low on gas. Got a new roof out of it too, courtesy of State Farm.

It seemed like an ordeal at the time but it was nothing compared to what some people went through. And are still going through.
  • gettingfedup likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: today, was, the, day, all, hll, broke, loose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users