Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Bugout / go bag contents

bugout go bag contents

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 1895guy

1895guy

shots fired

• Donated Member
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 2,350 posts
  • Locationport jeff

Posted October 13 2015 - 08:24 AM

Does anyone know of a place that sells kits? Im lookig for a a good base kit (contents only) that i can build off of. I picked up a real nice Sog backpack at wally world and have been meaning to get it packed up. I have thought about just piecing together something myself but figured it would be wayyyy easier to start with something then upgrade to my liking.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 heartlessmcfly

heartlessmcfly

Avoiding the ban hammer!

• Banned
  • 17,533 posts
  • Locationhuntington, ny

Posted October 13 2015 - 08:44 AM

You can google "bug out bag items" and it'll list a good amount of info what you should put in it
  • Mad Russian and LongIsland Guy like this

#3 McCaffrey

McCaffrey

1 warning point

• Donated Member
  • 1,661 posts

Posted October 13 2015 - 08:49 AM

Thursday October 22, NYS preparedness class will be in Mastic Shirley area. You get your free backpack with basic gear in it. You could start with that and then build up.

Just a thought.
  • Hannco and 1895guy like this

#4 DLM

DLM

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted October 13 2015 - 08:52 AM

You can attend one of these and get the bag they give you. I'm going on 10/28 in West Babylon to get the bag to leave in the office. You can also try this company for a starter kit: http://www.quakekare.com/

#5 1895guy

1895guy

shots fired

• Donated Member

• 2,350 posts
  • Locationport jeff

Posted October 13 2015 - 09:17 AM

yea seems like everything im finding online are kits that come pre packaged in a pack. Im assuming that there is a significant added cost for the back pack so considering i have one im trying to find a "contents only kit" .... one trip to cabelas could take care of this problem though

#6 heartlessmcfly

heartlessmcfly

Avoiding the ban hammer!

• Banned
  • 17,533 posts
  • Locationhuntington, ny

Posted October 13 2015 - 09:24 AM

http://www.thesurviv...nd-bugging-out/
  • LedMizer and 1895guy like this

#7 ceesman762

ceesman762

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationThe Eye of Terror

Posted October 13 2015 - 09:28 AM

get this book.
https://jet.com/prod...CFYYRHwodcEkC_A
  • 1895guy likes this

#8 Cold Beverages

Cold Beverages

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 710 posts

Posted October 13 2015 - 09:58 AM

Search on survivalistforums.com they have dozens of threads on the topic. You'll almost always do better building it yourself.

#9 DLM

DLM

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted October 13 2015 - 10:23 AM

yea seems like everything im finding online are kits that come pre packaged in a pack. Im assuming that there is a significant added cost for the back pack so considering i have one im trying to find a "contents only kit" .... one trip to cabelas could take care of this problem though

Actually, if you go to Quake Kare and look at the home kits, you'll see that they come in a 5 gallon buckets which is supposed to double as a toilet. I'm sure the incremental cost of the bucket (or the small back packs their kits come in) don't add much to the cost of the kit. You could take everything out of it and then just use the bucket for brass or use the pack for other stuff.

Edited to add - they also have "Replacement Kits" which replace the perishable items like food, boxed water, and first aid items as well as office kits that come in a cardboard box.

Edited by DLM, October 13 2015 - 10:25 AM.

• 1895guy likes this

#10 zx9allday

zx9allday

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 3,151 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted October 13 2015 - 10:28 AM

I got a bunch of ideas on YouTube. And keep in mind, doesn't have to be the expensive stuff. I used things like harbor freight tarps and fire starters, dollar store medicine and ponchos, or eBay water purification tabs and knives.

#11 warmnfuzzyar

warmnfuzzyar

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 8,632 posts

Posted October 13 2015 - 10:36 AM

keep your eye out for specials on Gummy Bears at Rite Aid
  • zx9allday, Hannco, whitefoot and 2 others like this

#12 LiDad

LiDad

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 10,011 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted October 13 2015 - 10:38 AM

You can find a zillion sites listing what you "need". All are good, but none are the final word.

#13 ceesman762

ceesman762

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationThe Eye of Terror

Posted October 13 2015 - 10:46 AM

Try this website, love it.
http://www.instructa.../survival kits/

#14 LiDad

LiDad

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 10,011 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted October 13 2015 - 10:51 AM

Imo more important than a BOB us where you live and where you would plan to (try to) go.

If you live on LI and a sudden catastrophic SHTF happens no chance in Hell you're getting out if here by car! SHIP (shelter in place) is your best bet.

• truckie453, O1SalsaX, LedMizer and 2 others like this

#15 Mossy930spx

Mossy930spx

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6,902 posts

Posted October 13 2015 - 01:52 PM

Go bag is usually a 3 day kit they sell online. You'd do better to study and take up multi-day hiking. The contents of your pack and experience on the trail will serve you better than a pre-made 3 day kit. Learn to hike with your gear, learn to make fire in several ways, learn to procure and purify water in several ways, learn to construct shelter, learn to keep dry and stay warm in cold temps (I've hiked down to 3*F).
  • Mad Russian, Trailblazer and willgrah like this

#16 mikeyravioli

mikeyravioli

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationIn the bathroom. I poop a lot

Posted October 13 2015 - 02:03 PM

Its good to have. My wife went nuts after binge watching a season of Doomsday Preppers. She insisted we get ready to bug out. Then it took us 4 hours to get to my Aunts house around exit 8 in NJ one Saturday. Have you ever tried to get off Long Island on a holiday or during rush hour, or anytime between 6am and 8pm? We decided our SHTF scenario is going to be to bug in instead of out. A properly stocked basement, a natural gas generator, and plenty of ammo is your best bet.
  • Habsfan, DML2012, willgrah and 3 others like this

#17 Mossy930spx

Mossy930spx

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6,902 posts

Posted October 13 2015 - 02:05 PM

Its good to have. My wife went nuts after binge watching a season of Doomsday Preppers. She insisted we get ready to bug out. Then it took us 4 hours to get to my Aunts house around exit 8 in NJ one Saturday. Have you ever tried to get off Long Island on a holiday or during rush hour, or anytime between 6am and 8pm? We decided our SHTF scenario is going to be to bug in instead of out. A properly stocked basement, a natural gas generator, and plenty of ammo is your best bet.

Depending on flood levels you may have to be on the move. Have a plan A and a Plan B.

#18 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 9,503 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted October 13 2015 - 02:19 PM

No need to pack a Playboy anymore, unless yer gonna wipe with it.
  • truckie453, O1SalsaX and 1895guy like this

#19 1895guy

1895guy

shots fired

• Donated Member

• 2,350 posts
  • Locationport jeff

Posted October 13 2015 - 02:34 PM

thanks for all the info fellas.... "Bug in" would be the future plan but for the near future i need to be able to get to RI to get the Mrs. I have the logistics of getting there figured out (multiple ways) just need to get a bag set up. Its really as much for day to day preparedness as it is for a true SHTF

#20 Mossy930spx

Mossy930spx

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6,902 posts

Posted October 13 2015 - 03:02 PM

thanks for all the info fellas.... "Bug in" would be the future plan but for the near future i need to be able to get to RI to get the Mrs. I have the logistics of getting there figured out (multiple ways) just need to get a bag set up. Its really as much for day to day preparedness as it is for a true SHTF

food, water, shelter, fire and man protection. screw the MREs they are too heavy to carry. Get the freeze dried packs at sports authority. lighter and more nutritious. Toss in hot water and done. Small med kit, aspirin.

Edited by Mossy930spx, October 13 2015 - 03:02 PM.

• Hannco and 1895guy like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bugout, go, bag, contents

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users