Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

recommended camping spots

recommended camping spots

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ironshaolin

ironshaolin

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,111 posts

Posted August 11 2015 - 09:39 AM

This week I had my girlfriend out for her first "real" camping trip, as in loading stuff in a backpack and hiking her 7 miles into the middle of nowhere to set up camp. We had a great time, but now are looking for a place we can make a bit cushier.

My requirements: can drive a car up to. This way we can take more gear. Must offer some degree of privacy- I don't want other campers to be 50 feet from our tent where they can hear our conversations and see everything we're doing. Preferably has some nearby hiking trails. I am pretty sure alcohol is prohibited at any campgrounds, but some places are less strict as in if you keep it discreet they really won't give you a hard time. I don't want to be some place where a park ranger stops by and checks inside our cups. Last requirement is that I don't want to drive more than 2 hours outside NYC.

Any suggestions?

# Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Topic Starter

Posted A minute ago

#2 ironshaolin

ironshaolin

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,111 posts

Posted August 12 2015 - 01:38 PM

anyone?

#3 Dan 0351

Dan 0351

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 7,805 posts

Posted August 12 2015 - 01:55 PM

Personally I love North/South Lake in Tannersville, NY.

Other campers are closer than 50', but the Escarpment Trail is nice and the nearby hike to Kaaterskill Falls is awesome.
  • ironshaolin, Redcoat3340 and Steve936 like this

#4 Redcoat3340

Redcoat3340

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,742 posts

Posted August 12 2015 - 01:57 PM

I've got a great place about a two hours drive. Hour 1: Drive to Kennedy Airport. Fly Delta to Seattle. Drive 2: About an hour to Fort Worden Park on the Puget Sound or Mount Rainier Park.

We spent a lot of time in both New Hampshire on the south slope of Mount Washington and in Virginia on the AT along Skyline Drive...

and to be somewhat specific out your actual request....check out North Mountain (state park? near Hunter ski area). Not sure what it's like today, but when we where hiking it was real nice.

• Mad Russian likes this

#5 class3

class3

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3,554 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted August 12 2015 - 03:52 PM

Any land in the Catskills Forest Preserve that is not private is open to camping. I'd stay out of the campgrounds unless a flush toilet is a must-have. The other campers tend to be rude and the campsites themselves are always dirty (and I've had rats or mice 5 out of the last 5 times).

Link to a bunch of maps showing some good places to try: http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/5265.html

The rules on camping, especially stay away from roads/water: http://www.dec.ny.go...door/41282.html
  • ironshaolin likes this

#6 rubbermittens

rubbermittens

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3,929 posts

Posted August 12 2015 - 04:50 PM

tolland state forest is MA. Very clean campground Very nice

#7 Diesel1

Diesel1

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted August 13 2015 - 10:47 AM

My Father In Law always said Camp Lejune was nice year round. Probably be a lil tired after staying there a few days though.

Edited by Diesel1, August 13 2015 - 10:48 AM.

• Dan 0351, Redcoat3340 and Huntington Guy like this

#8 class3

class3

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3,554 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted August 13 2015 - 11:01 AM

This week I had my girlfriend out for her first "real" camping trip . . . I don't want other campers to be 50 feet from our tent where they can hear our conversations and see everything we're doing . . .
Any suggestions?

Posted Image
  • ecr and warmnfuzzyar like this

#9 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,098 posts

Posted August 13 2015 - 11:16 AM

The way things are going, Central Park or any of the big stores in Manhattan on the sidewalk grates look like prime spots !
  • warmnfuzzyar likes this

#10 CommonSense

CommonSense

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,738 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore Nassau

Posted August 13 2015 - 12:04 PM

Woodland Valley in Phonecia is right off the hiking trails. You won't get the 50 feet of privacy, but it is beautiful. It runs along a stream.
http://www.dec.ny.go...door/24501.html

#11 GMAN3006

GMAN3006

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • 300 posts
  • LocationHICKVILLE

Posted August 13 2015 - 01:50 PM

i like little pond or beverkill
  • ironshaolin likes this

#12 Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan

Unappreciated while still alive

• Established Member
  • 3,841 posts

Posted August 13 2015 - 02:40 PM

Peconic River Campgrounds might not be a bad idea. I believe it is owned by the guy that owns Calverton firing range. I don't think he gets a lot of business, so privacy might be good.
I based this on a phone call I made to them a couple weeks ago. They have porta potties, so my lady said absolutely not.

Edited by Genghis Khan, August 13 2015 - 02:41 PM.

#13 Undrwtr1

Undrwtr1

Respected Gunowner

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 292 posts
  • LocationNassau County, NY

Posted August 15 2015 - 02:44 PM

Mt. Desert Campground by Acadia National Park in Maine. More trails than you can hike, carriage roads for bicycling and lobster (shedders) is only $3.99 a pound. Plus Bar Harbor is close by if you need a night out. Not roughing it, but a great place for tha ladies.
  • Huntington Guy likes this

#14 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 9,503 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted August 15 2015 - 03:21 PM

I hear Boosti has a nice place upstate. You can get on the property from the trail coming from the neighbors house. :)

For the record, JK.
  • Flagg888 likes this

#15 CommonSense

CommonSense

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,738 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore Nassau

Posted August 15 2015 - 03:35 PM

Mt. Desert Campground by Acadia National Park in Maine. More trails than you can hike, carriage roads for bicycling and lobster (shedders) is only $3.99 a pound. Plus Bar Harbor is close by if you need a night out. Not roughing it, but a great place for tha ladies.

when I rode my ten speed bicycle fom lon island to nova scotia, I camped at mt.desert for a couple of days...and spent the last night with a hottie from Brooklyn in my little pup tent.

#16 Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan

Unappreciated while still alive

• Established Member
  • 3,841 posts

Posted August 15 2015 - 03:44 PM

and spent the last night with a hottie from Brooklyn in my little pup tent.

Must...Resist...Making...Pup...Tent...Joke...
  • Huntington Guy likes this

#17 warmnfuzzyar

warmnfuzzyar

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 8,632 posts

Posted August 15 2015 - 04:16 PM

my yard in Vt.

Attached Thumbnails

• 039.JPG

Edited by warmnfuzzyar, August 15 2015 - 04:20 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: recommended, camping, spots

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users