Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

I am now the proud owner of N963MJ

am now the proud owner of n963mj

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#161 Ridetoglide

Ridetoglide

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 282 posts

Posted December 08 2016 - 07:25 PM

Congrats!!! It always feels good once I pass a checkride.... like 100lbs off my shoulders. Stop by brookhaven and come up for a glider ride. Class B airspace flying isn't too hard, just be sure to hold your altitude and if unsure or forget an atc instruction be sure to ask again.  

# Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Topic Starter

Posted A minute ago

#162 rcpilot

rcpilot

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationMastic

Posted December 09 2016 - 05:40 AM

Congrats!!! It always feels good once I pass a checkride.... like 100lbs off my shoulders. Stop by brookhaven and come up for a glider ride. Class B airspace flying isn't too hard, just be sure to hold your altitude and if unsure or forget an atc instruction be sure to ask again.  

Well, since my plane is parked at Brookhaven I'll have to do that. Some gliders were flying yesterday and the DPE said "they have gliders here?". He was also surprised to hear that Lufker and Spadaro were closed . It will be nice to go up and just fly around, not having to "practice" anything.

#163 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 9,674 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted December 09 2016 - 11:33 AM

Congrats on passing your test.

#164 rcpilot

rcpilot

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationMastic

Posted February 18 2017 - 06:15 PM

So I had post check ride lesson #2. Since I know I'm going to need to fly to NJ (and beyond) on occasion I wanted to get some experience using flight following and at least try and get through the JFK class B. I picked an airport near where my mom lives since she's expecting a ride at some point. So I plotted a course to Princeton(39N) essentially along the South Shore of Long Island. Off we went. First call to NY approach near Islip. Requested VFR flight following. It was a bit windy so we decided on a lower altitude(2500) and just in case they don't let us through the class B we wouldn't have so far to descend. Before we even get near the class B we're handed off 3 times. As my instructor expected, as we near the class B they ask us if we plan to fly below it(hint, hint). So we descend down to 400. Then they hand us off to the JFK tower and that takes a couple of frequency changes till they’re done. Apparently they have no idea what we’re doing to we have to repeat the whole thing. We continue along and another hand off. They do keep us appraised of traffic like the flight of 4 headed right towards us probably 500' over us. So we're still skirting under the class B and they just ask us to report when we have Princeton in sight. Once we see Princeton we call approach and terminate the flight following. We land, gas up and off we go. On the way we had decided not to use flight following on the trip back so I can see the difference. On the way back we were over the water probably about 2 miles from the Verrazano bridge and my instructor asks if I want to fly up the Hudson. Why not. So he explains in detail what's expected and what to do. Since he knows all of the reporting points he handles the radio and I fly the plane on the Northbound side. We turnaround at the GWB and he flys so I can enjoy the scenery and take some pictures. We circle the Statue of Liberty and then I take over and we get back on our course  to home base. Of course it's much windier then when we left and my instructor is impressed with my cross wind landing. Hey, I had a good teacher. So now I have a couple more things to practice. I'm sure flight following is a good thing but based on my experience today, NYC just ain't one of the areas to use it. Much easier just to monitor frequencies, look for traffic and avoid the class B. I'm sure in the Summer flying 400' near the beach can get dicey but not having to putz with the radio every 10 minutes will let me focus on flying.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170218_113054.jpg
  • 20170218_115132.jpg
  • 20170218_113913.jpg

• 2edgesword and Keepkool like this

#165 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 5,934 posts

Posted February 18 2017 - 10:38 PM

Congrats on passing the check ride! It's quite an accomplishment.

Some of my most memorable experiences is taking family and friends on rides all over the northeast. There is something very special about seeing the planet from 3K or 4K feet versus 35K in a commercial aircraft. Enjoy and stay safe.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: am, now, the, proud, owner, of, n963mj

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users