Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

removing a hook

removing hook

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PaPaBear

PaPaBear

NYS Safety Instructor

• Board Moderator
  • 3,872 posts
  • LocationIslip

Posted June 26 2015 - 02:25 PM

The Line-Pull Method: How to Get Unhooked and Keep Fishing

Article by Joe Cermele

Posted Image

Getting hooked is a rite of passage for anglers. It’s going to happen eventually, and I’m not talking about a jab. I mean in past the barb. Now, anytime you get stuck with a heavy-gauge hook, or the hook is planted in your head or face, go lines in and find some professional medical attention right away. But if you’ve got a Woolly Bugger in your thumb, a crankbait hook in the leg, or a spinnerbait in your arm, there’s no need to quit fishing. Here’s how to remove the hook sans screaming and get back in the action.

Step 1 Posted Image

Snip the lure or hook free of the main fishing line to get rid of any tension. If possible, detach a treble hook from its lure and clip away any of the hook points that are not stuck in your person. Next, cut a 15-inch strand of line off your reel and tie the ends together to create a loop. This is what you’ll use to remove the hook.
Step 2
Posted Image

Double the loop of fishing line, then pass it under the bend in the hook close to your skin. The line should be resting against the hook bend. Push down on the eye of the hook. This raises the point—better aligning it with the hole it made when entering. Now take a deep breath, because next comes the moment of truth.
Step 3
Posted Image

In one quick, sharp tug, yank the line straight back. (This step is often better executed by a fishing partner.) As with a Band-Aid, the faster you pull the less it hurts, often popping right out without causing pain. If the wound is bleeding, apply pressure until it stops. Use antiseptic ointment and

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Sheeple

Sheeple

Banned

• Banned
  • 10,933 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted June 26 2015 - 02:39 PM

Haven't actually been hooked myself yet. Interesting info.

#3 Barnslayer

Barnslayer

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPort Washington

Posted June 26 2015 - 02:39 PM

That depends on how deep and the angle of the point vs the surface of the skin. Sometimes it's less damaging to poke it back through. Two clean holes are better than one nasty mess.
  • NRATC53, Mad Russian, Adirondack state of mind and 2 others like this

#4 PaPaBear

PaPaBear

NYS Safety Instructor

• Board Moderator
  • 3,872 posts
  • LocationIslip

Posted June 26 2015 - 02:43 PM

If its done right only one clean hole I have done it a few times you have to put a lot perisher on the end then pull up and out if done right it will slip out of the same hole with no more damage

#5 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7,904 posts

Posted June 26 2015 - 02:43 PM

That snatch method is a good way of dealing with a hook. Usually works better for small hooks/ barbs. Another method is continue pushing the hook thought the skin till the barb is outside and cutting with dykes. The more it bleeds the better, puncture wounds often get infected and bleeding helps flush the wound.

A couple years ago I was shark fishing with some buddies at the Linda Wreck. I was rebaiting the hook with a bluefish filet and one if the guys stepped on the wire leader I was working on and it drove the 11/0-12/0 hook right into my Palm, barb buried. I watched it like it was slow motion. Without even thinking I grabbed the hook and jerked it out as fast as I could. I must have reacted so quickly the skin didn't get a chance to tighten up around the hook? I can't explain it really but I was very lucky that day.
We also caught a 240lb blue suit.
  • Sig likes this

#6 Mariano

Mariano

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted September 23 2015 - 06:17 AM

cutting those 2 barb needs a very sharp sargent pliers and painful while the other hook is embedded to your finger.

#7 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted September 23 2015 - 06:37 AM

Man up. Just cut off the finger
  • PandM, FULL METAL JACKET, zx9allday and 1 other like this

#8 muskoday

muskoday

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted September 23 2015 - 08:08 AM

Man up. Just cut off the finger

And a real man would use it as bait and fish on!
  • Aquabach and zx9allday like this

#9 zx9allday

zx9allday

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 3,151 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted September 23 2015 - 09:03 AM

First time I went into the surf, I hooked my waders lol. Ohh I was mad!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: removing, hook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users