Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Kayaks are no longer allowed at Blydenburgh Lake

kayak suffolk county parks access

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#101 axeman628

axeman628

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 4,005 posts
  • LocationHow did I get here?

Posted June 29 2015 - 08:43 AM

So Friday came and went with no response from Greg Dawson or Leslie Kennedy as promised, not shocked but I was hopeful that this would be an easy fix.

I just sent Leslie another email asking for an update.

# Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Topic Starter

Posted A minute ago

#102 COLLECTINGHEADS

COLLECTINGHEADS

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 453 posts

Posted June 29 2015 - 02:23 PM

Response from SCparks...

There have been no changes at this time.

Emily R. Lauri, Community Relations Director
Suffolk County Department of Parks, Recreation, and Conservation
P.O. Box 144, Montauk Highway
West Sayville, NY 11796

631-854-4949
631-854-4978 (Fax)
Email: emily.lauri@suffolkcountyny.gov

#103 fenucho

fenucho

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationAdirondaks

Posted June 29 2015 - 03:36 PM

County Park, Empire Pass is for State Parks

I understand, but there is also a County Leisure Pass; maybe it could come under that?
I have a Nassau County one that I use for Mitchel Field.
At some point though, we need to start getting something back.
I'm so tired of getting my pockets pick though.

Maybe it's time to show up in mass at the county commissioners office after alerting News 12.
Only bad publicity moves them.

Edited by fenucho, June 29 2015 - 03:38 PM.

#104 COLLECTINGHEADS

COLLECTINGHEADS

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 453 posts

Posted June 30 2015 - 06:02 AM

The latest excuse is that they will need to hire additional staff and they have to buy stickers? I am not sure why. They have a dog park that is exponentially more dangerous that is at your own risk and has zero staff. I fired off another email this morning offering solutions to these made up issues.
  • Tonto likes this

#105 COLLECTINGHEADS

COLLECTINGHEADS

Sharp Shooter!

• 453 posts

Posted July 01 2015 - 10:40 AM

UPDATE: Form Parks Dept.

Prior to the pilot program which was instituted two years ago, kayak launching was never permitted from Blydenburgh County Park. As we try to develop this program at Blydenburgh there are new policies and procedures which must be put in place, logistics which our staff must consider and decisions that must be made before opening this access. All Park fees are set by the Suffolk County legislature. There is a daily $3 kayak launching fee which has been established and that is being charged at other kayak launching locations. Our staff is developing a plan for how and where this fee will be collected along with considering a proposal for a year round permit. Once a plan is developed and approval is permitted, we will notify the public via the Suffolk County Parks webpage atwww.suffolkcountyny.gov/parks.

West Sayville, NY 11796
  • ProGodProGunProLife likes this

#106 axeman628

axeman628

Banned

• Banned

• 4,005 posts

Posted July 01 2015 - 10:54 AM

UPDATE: Form Parks Dept.

Prior to the pilot program which was instituted two years ago, kayak launching was never permitted from Blydenburgh County Park. As we try to develop this program at Blydenburgh there are new policies and procedures which must be put in place, logistics which our staff must consider and decisions that must be made before opening this access. All Park fees are set by the Suffolk County legislature. There is a daily $3 kayak launching fee which has been established and that is being charged at other kayak launching locations. Our staff is developing a plan for how and where this fee will be collected along with considering a proposal for a year round permit. Once a plan is developed and approval is permitted, we will notify the public via the Suffolk County Parks webpage atwww.suffolkcountyny.gov/parks.

West Sayville, NY 11796

The bureaucracy never ceases to amaze me. So.. for the last two years you didn't charge a fee and all was well. Now it's a logistics problem because they decided to charge a fee?? Wonder what the person collecting the fee makes, I'm almost positive this is a loss for them as $3 per kayak per day probably comes no where near what it will cost in manpower and whatever convoluted launching plan they come up with. Here's my proposal, go back to how it was for the last 2 years, collect my tax dollars as usual and STFU.

And how does $3 per day address the complaints that are the alleged reason that kayaks were banned in the first place? smh.

Once I figure out how to word it a little nicer, I'm going to send something similar out.
  • Aquabach and COLLECTINGHEADS like this

#107 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 6,827 posts

Posted July 01 2015 - 11:05 AM

You are arguing with scum who is only interested in raising more revenue without providing any additional service.

My gf lives on Conetqueot River State Park. They charge to enter the park through the main gates, but the park has many small entrences around it for horses to enter. Somewhere along the way, they decided that everyone needs a permit, which of course you need to pay for, to ride in the park....even the people who live on it. They dont spray for bugs so you have to deal with 1 billion ticks per year. They dont mow the grass so youi get to become real friendly with the chiggers. They dont trim the trees and bushes that invade your property, so have fun fighting the ticks and chiggers while doing it yourself. This past week, they decided to padlock all the gates, I guess to make sure the people who actually live on the park can not enter the park without having the permit, and a key they give you with the permit. These are people who have lived in this horse community long before these f'en leaches devised their money sucking schemes. And still, every year, they do less to maintain, provide less service, and charge more money, for something that was supposed to be free to the taxpayers.
  • Aquabach likes this

#108 COLLECTINGHEADS

COLLECTINGHEADS

Sharp Shooter!

• 453 posts

Posted July 01 2015 - 12:02 PM

Some good points were sent to me in a private message concerning who actually oversees Horseback riding at the park. Basically you buy a permit and you can park your trailer, (in the same lot we used to be able to park when we went kayaking) and bring your horse to the lake and trail ride. No one oversees anything. It seems like a pretty simple way to get this done they have place on the lake that sells the Green Key card as well as the Riding permit. We can put it at the boat dock and pay the fee there. I don't see why anything extra is needed? This is just more stalling and BS.

#109 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,991 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted July 01 2015 - 12:17 PM

sounds like they are taking lessons from neighboring Nassau county. God help you all.

#110 SigSauer228

SigSauer228

Gun Guru

• 5,763 posts

Posted July 03 2015 - 09:14 PM

Again, screw this State and especially Suffolk County. I'm not paying for a "sticker" !! I'll do whatever the hell I want and take my chances. I'm so beaten down and tired of the laws and rules that I finally quit. Yup, I quit...not playing their game anymore. They want to ticket me, then go right ahead. I'm still gonna do what I want, and when I want.
Have fun catching me again breaking the rules.
  • O1SalsaX likes this

#111 Mr. Tri-Shield

Mr. Tri-Shield

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationBohemia

Posted July 03 2015 - 09:40 PM

Someone mentioned in the thread that people bring their horses there. Is that true?

Is so, wouldn't they need some type of liability insurance for that?

My wife used to trailer her horse there al the time. And that's the entrance she would use.

#112 Mr. Tri-Shield

Mr. Tri-Shield

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationBohemia

Posted July 03 2015 - 09:54 PM

Some good points were sent to me in a private message concerning who actually oversees Horseback riding at the park. Basically you buy a permit and you can park your trailer, (in the same lot we used to be able to park when we went kayaking) and bring your horse to the lake and trail ride. No one oversees anything. It seems like a pretty simple way to get this done they have place on the lake that sells the Green Key card as well as the Riding permit. We can put it at the boat dock and pay the fee there. I don't see why anything extra is needed? This is just more stalling and BS.

Exactly correct. You buy a horseback riding permit. Used to be $20 and it was good for a year. And correct, you need the green key too. The only thing she would pay for was parking.

#113 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted July 03 2015 - 10:07 PM

New york sucks.
I can't wait to retire and get out of this liberal craphole.
I regret not taking a job that was offered to me in Minnesota 20 years ago.
Too cold. But not nearly as cold as the treatment we get as taxpayers in this liberal sewer.
  • SigSauer228 and li02liberty like this

#114 bigbore44

bigbore44

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 3,948 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted July 03 2015 - 10:33 PM

It would have been just as easy to let the pilot continue, while they hashed all of the logistical crap out. But of course they cannot do this because it follows common sense! It's all just a bs stall tactic to get you to go to somewhere else. Keep the emails flying, make THEM miserable, and make them earn their money.
  • COLLECTINGHEADS likes this

#115 COLLECTINGHEADS

COLLECTINGHEADS

Sharp Shooter!

• 453 posts

Posted July 05 2015 - 06:42 AM

POPULAR

UPDATE! So I think we finally won one? Starting yesterday the SC park commission starting allowing Kayaks to launch at the boat ramp in Blydenburgh. They charge a $3 dollar fee, (add the green key card that is good for three years and the front gate fee at the boat rental house) and you are good to go. I would have I liked it to remain free sure but given the option I would rather pay to to be able to paddle there. The way I see it I fished there for free for three years so I am ahead of the game right now.

I wanted to thank all of you for the support and adding to the constant pressure with your emails and calls. The private messages I received with differnt ways to go about this and the encouragement were fantastic. Thank you all for your time and assistance! I am heading to the lake to enjoy it with my family this morning.
  • Tonto, Denny, Short Circuit and 6 others like this

#116 axeman628

axeman628

Banned

• Banned

• 4,005 posts

Posted July 05 2015 - 08:25 AM

Thanks for the update. I hear what you're saying, at least we can use it now. Not surprised that a new fee was the answer.
  • COLLECTINGHEADS likes this

#117 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 3,991 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted July 05 2015 - 08:56 AM

anyone do a google etc. search for the last names of the neighbors on the street wherein the original alleged complaint came from ?
I don't have a horse in this race and don't know the name of the street, but chances are you will find some family names on November ballots.
  • Tonto likes this

#118 COLLECTINGHEADS

COLLECTINGHEADS

Sharp Shooter!

• 453 posts

Posted July 05 2015 - 10:46 AM

I had limited time today to fish and took my son to the playground at the back entrance of the park where boats are no longer welcomed, pretty funny I found this.
BLY20150705_085102.jpg

Apparently the Civic association is ok with trailers being backed down the horse trails by trucks but not ok with us carrying or putting wheels on our Kayaks and bringing them down the same way. It's hilarious. Some how these guys got a "permit" for this little outing. I am giving up trying to figure out how Suffolk County politics work. I am happy we can launch at the main entrance and look froward to enjoying the rest of the summer. See you out there soon.
  • Tonto and axeman628 like this

#119 Incognito

Incognito

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted July 05 2016 - 09:20 PM

According to the Long Island Paddlers website, kayaks are now welcome at Blydenburg Park.
Launch by the boat rental.

http://www.lipaddler..._topic_view/641
There is a sign at the rowboat rental building that says something like "Canoes & Kayaks -- $4.00" -- which is the same rate charged at Southaven.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kayak, suffolk county parks, access

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users